Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weinsteins leave Miramax (!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haha

miramax could be renamed "tarantinomax", as i'm pretty sure oul quentin will have more power then anyone in that place now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

RTFA, TBH.
    Looks like Tarantino's going with them...
    The Weinstein Co will produce films by acclaimed directors such as Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith, both of whom have long working relationships with the Weinsteins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

haha

miramax could be renamed "tarantinomax", as i'm pretty sure oul quentin will have more power then anyone in that place now

I just finished reading down and dirty pictures, peter "easy riders and raging bulls" Biskind expose of the US film industry in the 90s, indy filmakers, and Miramax.

Bob and Harvey run miramax, and they run it with an iron fist. They're ruthless animals, who run a regieme based on terror and abuse. Tarrintino, does not call the shots in Miramax, he just has most favoured nation status, he's one of their boys. Kevin Smith is bruatlly honest, yes he's(kevin) bob and harvey's boy cause they treat him right, but they've savaged other producers, directors, actors, never mind their own staff to get where they are today.

Reading the book it's no surprise that the left they've been clashing with Eisner for years, and the final straw was Farhenheit 9/11 (which disney tried to pull) Harvey's a democrat, but they've probably been haggling over money for years.

Miramax are just another studio now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Woo-hoo! :D

Great news, now if only Tatintino would come up with an original idea.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:

I'm a lil unclear why this is a cause for celebration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The principle of the thing. That's all.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    The principle of the thing. That's all.

Which principle?

Fat corporate ba*tards get lots of money?

or

Massive evil corporate hold on to "artist" subsidary, allowing them to make "oh so contraversal" arthouse fair, withot sulling their family friendly reputation?

More the principle that no longer will Miramax be instantly associated with sociopaths.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    More the principle that no longer will Miramax be instantly associated with sociopaths.

It's their company, it's always been associated with socipaths. It's named after their parents. It's not like they've been sulling the good name of Miramax, and now the reign of terror is over!

Miramax has always been run by sadistic bulls, now the sadistic bully is Eisner. It's like Poland cheering the removal of the Nazis and now the armies of Stalin have come to liberate them.

If anything things are going to get worse. Before you had the force of personalities could push aganist disney's will witness the battle over Farhenheit, without the barrier of the Weinsteins, Miramax will probably go more middle of the road, before, Eisner et all, could say "it's an independent subsidary, nothing, to do with us" when confronted with a release that is contraversal. Without the "bulk" of the Weinsteins to act as a PR mechanism, Miramax will probably shy away from dangerous subject matter. It'll be Shakespear in love, not the secretary.
    The Weinsteins will retain control of the Dimension label, which has produced a raft of films aimed at teenagers and children, including the Scream franchise.

They've held onto Dimension, thats the real money maker btw.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    It's their company, it's always been associated with socipaths.
    Erm.

Without meaning to sound rude or disrespectful - this is exactly what I said. And now that they're gone, it won't be instantly associated with those two sociopaths. The piece of trivia about it being named after their parents will be the only connection.

So again, hooray!
    mycroft wrote:
    Miramax has always been run by sadistic bulls, now the sadistic bully is Eisner. It's like Poland cheering the removal of the Nazis and now the armies of Stalin have come to liberate them.
    Well, not quite, since Eisner is out in September (hence the reason I wasn't even thinking of him when I mentioned by the "associated with"), to be replaced by Iger. By all accounts, Iger is set to be a pretty good boss, with the his teeth cut in revitalising ABC (he's more or less responsible for bringing us Desperate Housewives - controversial content for ABC) and, more importantly, with the ability to turn off his ego when it comes to business.

But still, time will tell.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Erm.

Without meaning to sound rude or disrespectful - this is exactly what I said. And now that they're gone, it won't be instantly associated with those two sociopaths. The piece of trivia about it being named after their parents will be the only connection.

So again, hooray!

But as I point out, it's not going to be a better company, and if the name has always been associated with them I'm a lil unclear, why are you happy? The company has always has this tarnish on it, so the name is always being tarnished, I'm a lil unclear, have you held the miramax name is some kind of esteem they didn't deserve
    Well, not quite, since Eisner is out in September (hence the reason I wasn't even thinking of him when I mentioned by the "associated with"), to be replaced by Iger. By all accounts, Iger is set to be a pretty good boss, with the his teeth cut in revitalising ABC (he's more or less responsible for bringing us Desperate Housewives - controversial content for ABC) and, more importantly, with the ability to turn off his ego when it comes to business.

But still, time will tell.

And it already is
    The board's decision to appoint Mr Eisner's number two, Bob Iger, on Sunday was met with complaints about the selection process and doubts about Mr Iger's ability to tackle large strategic issues facing the company, which owns movie studios, the ABC television channel and theme parks.

Dissident shareholders said the appointment was "rigged".

from here

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1438117,00.html

Personality aside, desperate housewives is peton place with more cleavage, theres no evidence that as Eisner's bitch he won't deviate from the status quo.

So basically we have the wealthy miramix boyz with a new company and a fat page check to inflict their will on us, and another Eisner esque assh*ole ensuring the blandness of the disney attitude

In the words of requiem for a dream "double penetration"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

ObeyGiant wrote:

In what way are the Weinsteins sociopaths?

mycroft wrote:
    But as I point out, it's not going to be a better company
    I never said it would be. I simply said there would be no more association with the Weinsteins (origin of the name excluded).

This is going around in circles.
    mycroft wrote:
    From what I've read of this, the main cause for concern comes from the fact that the new CEO wasn't appointed from outside the Disney corporation, not from Iger's personality. Many of the shareholders hoped to appoint someone externally (Meg Whitman, CEO of eBay was listed as one of the potential candidates) rather than from inside the Disney Corporation, to try to 'revitalise' the role and give it a shot of fresh blood.
    mycroft wrote:
    Personality aside, desperate housewives is peton place with more cleavage
    It's important to remember that ABC is still considered a deeply conservative channel, and regardless of how tame the content might appear to us, raised on years of things far worse than this, Desperate Housewives has still drawn a whole lot of controversy in the US. On another channel, it's doubtful there would have been such an outcry.
    mycroft wrote:
    and another Eisner esque assh*ole ensuring the blandness of the disney attitude
    Well, that's entirely unfair to Iger. He is apparently nothing like Eisner (the article you quoted even says as much), and is said to have even complained himself about how difficult Eisner was as a boss. The very fact that he's trying to restore the Disney/Pixar partnership should at least be evidence enough that it's worth giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Well, that's my armchair psychologist's opinion, based on reading about the various tantrums and other antisocial behaviour by the Weinsteins (particularly Harvey) in Biskind's book.

Sociopathic might be a tad extreme, but vicious bullies, lacking basic qualities of humanity when dealing with underlings or business rivals. Tails of actual assault aganist journalists, intimidation, tantrums, mental anguish, and rampant egomania are abound.
    I never said it would be. I simply said there would be no more association with the Weinsteins (origin of the name excluded).

This is going around in circles.

I know I cant see what you're getting excited about. Disney have their arthouse section which they'll shove even further down the middle of the road. And two horrible assh*les are even richer. You've just added some talsmantic reverance to a name that didn't mean much in the first place, and ain't going to get much better after this gem of news.
    Well, that's entirely unfair to Iger. He is apparently nothing like Eisner (the article you quoted even says as much), and is said to have even complained himself about how difficult Eisner was as a boss. The very fact that he's trying to restore the Disney/Pixar partnership should at least be evidence enough that it's worth giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes I can see how disney's alying animation wing's cozing up to a massive cash generating company like Pixar is an altrustic, and artistic thing.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I don't see why this is such good news either. Miramax wasn't an influential and successful indie production and distribution company despite the Weinsteins, but because of them. It will no longer be associated with "sociopaths", but it will also no longer really be Miramax.

You guys must be amazing at parties.

ObeyGiant wrote:

Well considering this thread is your excuse for a party;
    ObeyGiant wrote:
    Let the party begin!

I think we'd be the life and soul of whatever crazy shindig you throw.

;)

You don't need an excuse to have a party, bro.
    Just somewhere to have it.

Oh, and lots of booze helps too.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    You don't need an excuse to have a party, bro.
    Just somewhere to have it.

Oh, and lots of booze helps too.

BOOM

ObeyGiant "What was that?"

Mycroft "What was what?"

ObeyGiant "That huge boom?"

Mycroft "Oh That, huge boom. That was my point's sonic boom, as it flew far above your head"

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

ObeyGiant wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say I was amazing, but I hold my own.

Who am I kidding? I am amazing!

Ajos wrote:
    Well, I wouldn't say I was amazing, but I hold my own.

Who am I kidding? I am amazing!

And you do throw a well cool party.

Finger food and everything mind, none of your muck mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

mycroft wrote: »
    I just finished reading down and dirty pictures, peter "easy riders and raging bulls" Biskind expose of the US film industry in the 90s, indy filmakers, and Miramax.

Bob and Harvey run miramax, and they run it with an iron fist. They're ruthless animals, who run a regieme based on terror and abuse. Tarrintino, does not call the shots in Miramax, he just has most favoured nation status, he's one of their boys. Kevin Smith is bruatlly honest, yes he's(kevin) bob and harvey's boy cause they treat him right, but they've savaged other producers, directors, actors, never mind their own staff to get where they are today.

Reading the book it's no surprise that the left they've been clashing with Eisner for years, and the final straw was Farhenheit 9/11 (which disney tried to pull) Harvey's a democrat, but they've probably been haggling over money for years.

Miramax are just another studio now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement