Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailers on purchased DVD

• 03-04-2005 7:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

having bought some DVDs recently I have seen this on some of the discs that I have bought.

It is very annoying. fair enough you might want them on rented DVDs to advertise what other films are availible to rent. but when you buy a film it may not be a new film, and the trailers may be out of date or the films being advertised might not be availible anymore.

I was just wondering does anyone else share my view that there should be no trailers on purchased movies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I agree. I think disney/touchstone do this a lot with their retail dvds?

Also I wish FOX dvds didn't have that annoying copyright crap at start of every disk in 24 languages. Only their more recent titles even have an option to skip it but I still take umbridge at even having to!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

100% agree that there should be no trailers on purchased DVDs. Haven't (thankfully) come across it, but if I do I'd be mightily tempted to send a strongly -worded letter featuring the words "annoyed", "boycott", and the phrase "warn other people off this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think I'd mind the trailers so much if they were just included as a 'special feature' on the main menu. It's when they pre-empt the movie everytime you stick the disk in that annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i remember some early disney dvds wouldnt allow you to skip the trailers...i think its to make sure your kids whine about getting the hunchbakc of notre dame 2 or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

This has been posted before but the absolute example is Shrek 2 as is it IMPOSSIBLE to skip past the opening trailers for Shark Tale * me shudders* and Madagascar.

Bad if you've got impatient kiddies and you hate Shark Tale. Seems to be a bad trait of 'family' dvd's alright :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pigman II wrote:
    I don't think I'd mind the trailers so much if they were just included as a 'special feature' on the main menu. It's when they pre-empt the movie everytime you stick the disk in that annoys me.

I concur with this sentiment 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

thats what alot of tartan cinema films and anime series dvds do as far as i know...but i guess the assumption for western blockbuster or family films is that we dont have the intelligence to look in the special features.

the worse offender is disney they actually advertise what is on the second dvd or the first depending which one you put in. Makes you feel like a real idiot.

Jesus... that's bad!

Although the worst offender was the Confession of a Dangerous Mind DVD, because that was the last film I would've thought to have trailers forced down my throat upon sticking it on.

Mind you, I do like to watch trailers, but when I'm subjected to them, it's another story altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I bought Intermission last week. and there were damn trailers for other irish films at the start of it. but that wasnt the worst of it.

I bought The Day after Tomorrow last week and Master and Commander this week. there is a there is a trailer there is a trailer for the first film on movie number two and a trailer for the second film on movie number one. both of these were FOX home entertainment disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Can't you just zip past them? I don't like them either, but it takes about four seconds to "next chapter" them.

• Advertisement

Often times not, solo1... That's the main problem.

solo1 wrote:
    Can't you just zip past them? I don't like them either, but it takes about four seconds to "next chapter" them.

alot of the times they are part of the DVD intro, you know the vancy moving menus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The worst thing now is that the Piracy warnings etc are now just before the main feature instead of at the start of the disc.
    Its a real pain in the ass having to watch these warnings.
    Most of the DVD's with trailers on them seem to be plugging crap films.

the most annoying thing about the piracy warnings is that they are in 42 different languages

i wonder if some of those languages are even spoken in the Region 2 of the DVD regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Anytime i've come across trailers i've been able to skip past them, so they don't bother me that much

Advertisement