Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium tanks worth it?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So short and simple: are they worth it? T7 - T8 premium tanks look like stupidly priced. I do like that American T34, but it's should be able to fecking print credits and free xp...

Do those go on significant sales? Like 50% off etc? 50eu for a tank looks a bit excessive.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you need credits, they're the easiest way to do it. And you'll pay for it accordingly.

The flipside being, they're often freak tanks, as they're usually non-standard or prototype only designs. So they're commonly not well rounded tanks and each will depend on a specific game style to be most useful. In the case of the T34 that means going hull down, only showing your mantlet.

And while I have both a Lowe (gotten for the original cheap price about €30) and a T34 (free), I don't play much of either, as while profitable, they're not that much fun, as they're both slow tanks, but with good guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Prices are shocking all right. I don't like spread myself over a lot of tanks. I am working on tier 9 Russian heavy and tier 8 Russian med tank. Then I got my horrible horrible Russian t28 for xp farming. I don't know why, but I am really not bad ( or so lucky lol) with it. Then my BT-2 shopping trolly for xp purposes. I love that little thing, I always had a lot of fun and some the best games were with it too. Both of those give me a little income. My high tier tanks can be quite horrible money pits.
    I would not mind having a good premium tank to replace one of my rotations. Not sure of I can push myself getting T34 for full price though, how much down these can go or are there any other good premium cheaper lower tier tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have the lowe since it first appeared, kinda always had mixed reviews about it. its slow, has great turret armour and a great sniping gun though.

bounced about 4 shots from a 704 the other night, i'd say he was going mental, all he could see was my turret.

i love it now though, a lot of times i will be top tier in a battle, have no problems killing t34s and t32s either. the extra credits are really nice. i use my pemiums to train up crews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Some of the lower tier premiums can make a lot of money as well, not just the tier 8's. The biggest thing in my opinion is to see what tier battles you may get into. The t34 and lowe get into tier 10 battles, sometimes a lot of those battles and then you get to get shot from any angle, t34 does better in tier 10 battles imo. I had a lowe back in the day but I literally had 15 or more tier 10 battles in a row in it, back then that was all mauses and is7's ...with me at the bottom every time, 10+ losses in a row. (mind you i got similar **** in my is3 .... I'd swear I had 60 - 70% of all its battles were tier 10)

If I was buying a premium tank now I would get the e25, small and fast and fantastic camo... the gun is like a machine gun as well.... IS6 gets better matchmaker as well and is very well armoured, gun does not have as much pen as lowe or t34.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/09/12/8-8-mm-table/

The tier goes to 12, that is the battle tier and not the actual tier, The premiums are at the bottom, if it is not listed there then that premium gets same MM as non-premium tanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't remember seeing the Tier 8 premiums for sale. Nowadays it seems to be that the Tier 5 and lower are regularly 50% off, and Tier 6's sometimes 30% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My premium is the Super Pershing. When it first came out its armor from complete trolltastic. You could have IS3s shooting your front with no to little damage. Was slow and it's gun wasn't/isn't great but it could hold a section of the map nicely. Despite knowing how hard it was to kill people still see 'medium tank' so focus fire on it.

Nowadays they've nerfed the armor a bit but gave it more speed. I still like it and it makes decent credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When MM is nice and doesnt put me against a load of SPGs my TOG prints credits.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So short and simple: are they worth it?....50eu for a tank looks a bit excessive.

I would agree that 50 is excessive. However WoT is free so spending a bit of actual cash isn't such a bad idea. Most PC games are 50+ these days.

I have the TOG, the Churchill III, Pz.IVs and the E-25.

All 4 I picked up with ~30% discount over the last 6 months.

TOG is funny,got it for approx 6 Euro so was a steal.
    Churchill and Pz-IVs are purely for crew training purposes. Aiming towards several German mediums and Russian Heavies.
    The E-25 is great fun if the MM and map suit, its fast and stealthy with a rapid fire gun.......Tier 8 on Himmelsdorf is no fun however!
    I had a great night last week with a mate...2 hours of Pz.I.c and E-25 matches while a little tipsy.....not the best winrate but laughs were had.

I do want to get myself a Jg.Tiger 8.8cm or Lowe at a later date. I'm looking at it as investment in crew/credits. More credits mean I can buy other tanks. I am willing to pay the cost due to my expectation that I will spend quite a few hours on this game for the foreseeable future.
    EG. at the moment I am close to unlocking about 6 Tier 6 machines......that's a lot of credits I need. So I try to play my premiums each day to maximise my credits earned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Look at the SU-122; it's gun is brilliant damage (and damage = credits) and it comes up on discount every so often. It's not a sniper though but it's quick, pack a big punch with quick reload and it plays like the Obj. 704 in many ways but two tiers lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement