Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice one, some great info there thanks guys. Hmm yes the facebook integration is something I really love and would totally miss, but hopefully the SyncMyPix app will fix it. Does it still put the photos beside the list of names in contacts, and in the txt messages too? When you say you cannot dock apps on the S2, do the Launcher apps solve this?

I think the Galaxy wins for me. More memory, way more storage that’s not on the SD card, lighter, better battery (big plus for me), easier custom rom's. Camera wise, both have 8mp but HTC has dual flash, is that going to make much difference? Which has better optical quality and how does it compare to iPhone 4? What about Video?

Now I just have to see if I cam bully 02 into giving me an upgrade slightly early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm tempted by the S2, but the S has really put me off, that was a real pain to use with the USB driver issues, KIES and lag etc. plus the one I had didn't have a functioning three button recovery.
    I've just started digging into the Android SDK so I think I'll play it safe and stick with HTC, I don't think I could deal with more Samsung driver nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Zascar wrote: »
    So what exactly is touchwiz like in comparison to HTC Sense? I have a desire right now, gagging to change it, would go for the Sensation but 02 are not doing it apparently. What is it about Sense that you miss exactly? I have not had a Sansung phone but I had a play with a Galaxy S a few times and don't like it nearly as much as normal Android, especially some of the custom roms available for the desire etc - however I'm guessing the S2 will have some cool roms of its own.

How is the battery? Any indication as to which phones has better battery life so far?

Touchwiz just feels slightly more basic/stripped down to me as opposed to sense. This I suppose can be good or bad depending on how you like interfaces. To me Touchwiz feels more "stock" android so to speak than in comparison to sense as there's a lack of any real skin or theme to it.

Id say theteal's post above is the older Touchwiz on the Galaxy S, on the S2 the dock items can be rearranged/changed. There's also facebook integration via the social hub. Its different to how its used in sense but facebook's contacts pictures are beside all the contacts ect.

No doubt a sense rom will make it's way to the S2 at some stage though too.

Battery so far is good, Im getting a day and a half at the minute running it empty and as you can imagine thats playing with it alot, music/wifi/3g texts and calls so fairly heavy usage, so far it seems slightly better than my deisre HD.

The camera is also excellent, I was never really impressed with pictures off any HTC phone I owned but there spot on with this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm tempted by the S2, but the S has really put me off, that was a real pain to use with the USB driver issues, KIES and lag etc. plus the one I had didn't have a functioning three button recovery.
    I've just started digging into the Android SDK so I think I'll play it safe and stick with HTC, I don't think I could deal with more Samsung driver nonsense.

Can you elaborate on the driver issues please?

It (PCs, XP and 7) simply wouldn't connect or recognise the phone. I had to go through a series of steps each time to try to get the two to communicate, even then it was hit and miss. It appeared to be a widespread issue, and I read pages and pages of possible solutions, but got rid of it instead.
    I did get it working, and managed to flash 2.2 with a registry hack, but it really should have worked out of the box, without any of this carry on.

It was a reported possibility that as many as 30% of handsets could have the 3BR disabled, which meant no safe option for flashing ROMs. One of the suggested fixes for that was to heat the motherboard with a hair dryer to force it into recovery mode... No thanks. :rolleyes: :D

The above doesnt seem to be an issue with the S2, Im using Win7 64bit and plug and play is no problem. I've got the phone connected to Kies air at the minute and transferring music from my laptop to the phone via wifi and its flying along.

I think alot of previous S1 owners are wary of the phone due to the issues that were had with it. lag/gps ect, but so far there hasnt really been many problems noticed by early adopters with the S2 in comparison

Maybe I'm just being too cautious. I suppose now that Samsung is tied in with Android the S2 should be my first* choice when considering a phone to test apps on.

*After the Nexus S, of course..? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im the S2 all the way, as a current Desire owner who learned the joys of NOT having sense I couldnt go back to it... Basically sense give's you very little advantage at all and slows the phone down.

Also as previously mentioned it seems that HTC is locking down its phones which is bad mmmmkay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

fionny wrote: »
    Im the S2 all the way, as a current Desire owner who learned the joys of NOT having sense I couldnt go back to it... Basically sense give's you very little advantage at all and slows the phone down.

Also as previously mentioned it seems that HTC is locking down its phones which is bad mmmmkay.

I'm a HD user too that doesn't like Sense. But then the alternatives are just a click away in the market (Launcher Pro is only a couple of quid and doesn't need rooting). The HTC hardware is great.

I had the Galaxy S before. I wouldn't go back to it. Does the S2 have Touchwiz? I don't like Sense but I hated Touchwiz. I won't go into the joys of Kies.

Maybe the S2 is a major improvement so worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can you elaborate on the driver issues please?

Samsung use their own proprietary camera drivers among other things, these drivers are not released to the public and make coding fully functional custom ROMS far more difficult that on the HTC phones, hence the better quality and diversity of HTC Desire Custom ROMS over the original Galaxy S.

Whilst the unlocked bootloader is a plus for the Samsung, the continued use of proprietary drivers in the S2 means the Dev community will have to overcome the same issues they did with the original when bringing out Custom ROMS, and means that the HTC Sensation even if it has a locked bootloader will likely have the best of the Custom ROM Scene.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Samsung use their own proprietary camera drivers among other things, these drivers are not released to the public and make coding fully functional custom ROMS far more difficult that on the HTC phones, hence the better quality and diversity of HTC Desire Custom ROMS over the original Galaxy S.

Whilst the unlocked bootloader is a plus for the Samsung, the continued use of proprietary drivers in the S2 means the Dev community will have to overcome the same issues they did with the original when bringing out Custom ROMS, and means that the HTC Sensation even if it has a locked bootloader will likely have the best of the Custom ROM Scene.

Devs had huge issues with Camera's on HTC ROMS too I know because i downloaded quite a few different roms and nearly all had issues getting the camera working for a while.

Devs had huge issues with Camera's on HTC ROMS too I know because i downloaded quite a few different roms and nearly all had issues getting the camera working for a while.

Indeed but they had nowhere near the issues with drivers Devs have on Samsung droids, hence the much more vibrant and extensive ROM scene on the HTCs.

Aye that will probably change around now I have no doubt.

Aye that will probably change around now I have no doubt.

It wont, as Samsung are still using proprietary stuff at the core of their droid devices, which makes coding up to date working ROMs far more difficult than on a HTC. That's not going to change in a hurry.

If you like fiddling with your phone and want to avail of AOSP builds or the latest and greatest droid flavours, HTC is your only choice. If you are just gonna use official Samsung ROMs then you can have a good chat with yourself and decide which phone works best for you.

It wont, as Samsung are still using proprietary stuff at the core of their droid devices, which makes coding up to date working ROMs far more difficult than on a HTC. That's not going to change in a hurry.

If you like fiddling with your phone and want to avail of AOSP builds or the latest and greatest droid flavours, HTC is your only choice. If you are just gonna use official Samsung ROMs then you can have a good chat with yourself and decide which phone works best for you.

What with their locked bootloaders... my arse ill take my chances with the GS2, there is already a bit of activity kicking off on XDA dev sgs2 forum and the phone is barely out so ill wait...

• Advertisement

What with their locked bootloaders... my arse ill take my chances with the GS2, there is already a bit of activity kicking off on XDA dev sgs2 forum and the phone is barely out so ill wait...

Locked bootloaders are alot less hassle than proprietary drivers etc.

Ya i just dont have any time for HTC anymore. Ill take my chances.. maybe owning and SGS2 will put them back in my good books or maybe not... either was the sgs2 is out on all networks sooner, where as vodafone have exclusivity on the senseation for the first month and im damned if im paying their tarrifs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I know that I did bring up the locked bootloader thing earlier, but I take Inquitus' point, the locked bootloader is likely just going to mean a slight delay in being able to flash ROMs, will just need a workaround

My shrink has advised me not to talk about Kies, as I have only just settled down after upgrading the firmware on my Dad's SGS (about 6 months ago) -it might bring back the painful memories.

I would say, though, that people using custom ROMs on HTC phones probably weren't that concerned about the camera quality anyway, as up until recently HTC have always had poor cameras to begin with, and as people who flash custom ROMs are probably a little more discerning at selecting their phones than randomers, if the camera was a priority they probably would have picked a different phone in the first place. (Apologies for the ridiculously long sentence:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Erm pretty much all companies use proprietary drivers. It's hilarious that you say these aren't released to the public, they are sitting right there on your phone :D What you mean is that it's harder to find documentation for them? HTC drivers have been around longer is the only difference so devs have figured out the quirks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I don't get why Vodafone / O2 / HTC / Google or whoever don't just put a video like that on RTE / Sky. Obviously need to break it into 30 second chunks or similar for advertising.
    They'd get all the users who don't have a clue buying their phones. Now when I show people my Desire HD I get questioned about iPhones and what's this Android stuff.

The current HTC ad on the TV is embarrassing. Ah here's a guy on a roller skate. So that inspires me when creating the UI for a phone.
    I'm sure they have users queuing up after seeing that :D

So boys and girls any further ideas no which one is better and why? I can't make up my mind really. I'm on 02 but not due an upgrade for 5 months :( I was considering buying the HTC sim free and then in 5 months I will have the option to upgrade to the Galaxy S2 then. I have a desire now and like but not love it. Touchwiz does not bother me I'd but a different launcher on it anyway. I really really like the idea of the HTC Lock Screen. But the S2 has some lovely features too. I always thought the camera and video on the HTC was not as good as it should be, music playing also although i never use it.

Any reliable info on which has better battery performance?

It only seems to have been released in the uk yesterday as a vodafone exclusive with people getting their handsets today. Id say over the weekend videos will start popping up and you'll get a better idea as to what its like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Quick comparison

Was going to go for the HTC but now undecided:confused: Want to get my hands on both before deciding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So boys and girls any further ideas no which one is better and why? I can't make up my mind really. I'm on 02 but not due an upgrade for 5 months :( I was considering buying the HTC sim free and then in 5 months I will have the option to upgrade to the Galaxy S2 then. I have a desire now and like but not love it. Touchwiz does not bother me I'd but a different launcher on it anyway. I really really like the idea of the HTC Lock Screen. But the S2 has some lovely features too. I always thought the camera and video on the HTC was not as good as it should be, music playing also although i never use it.

Any reliable info on which has better battery performance?

I'm getting one of these 2 phones and have decided after a weekend away with my HTC desire, battery performance is the deal breaker

Well in theory the gs2 should be better considering Sense is heavy on battery and also AMOLED screen's use less battery the LED... all depends on how much juice touchwiz sucks down and which processor is more efficient.

Cool thanks, interesting to note that, hopefully in the next few weeks we'll see some solid reports.

Few things I'd also like to know:
    - Which has a louder/better speaker & speakerphone - the speakerphone on my desire is fairly useless. Some phones have much louder speakers so when you are in a pub you can hear people
    - Which has better image stabilisation when using the camera and also video? Also, when using the camera, which takes a photo the fastest?
    - Which is going to have the better selection of (unofficial) accessories?
    - Is the Dual LED Flash on the HTC better? I read it can be too bright - which is stupid

GS2 is instant camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Sensation has an instant camera too.

Regarding the battery, I was wondering if someone could also let us know how much benefit it is on SGS2 having a black wallpaper versus a brighter coloured one -does it make a noticeable difference in battery life, or even percentage wise on the battery usage stats

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Looks like a no brainer to me. Gs2 wins hands down!

Same for me tbh.

If it wasn't for the cheap plastic back cover and the terrible experience I had with the Galaxy S, I'd agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Although the SII looks like a great phone im sticking with the sensation as the build quality seems better and it has a higher resolution screen 540 x 960 pixels compared to the SII 480 x 800 pixels. Also I really hate Touchwiz and love Sense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

if it weren't for the cheap plastic cover and ugly corners I'd consider the Galaxy, but the Sensation is definitely in poll position for me - though I'll defer judgement till I read some more in depth reviews..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Build quality would not worry me that much, the HTC may be better but the S2 is hardly crappy. You can always get a nice cover! The lock screen on the HTC is a big big plus for me. Having a choice of the data that is displayed when the phone is locked, plus instant access to 4 different apps of your choice depending on where you swipe your finger – absolutely brilliant. I think this would lead to more use of the camera etc.

It certainly is a tight race with lots of people firmly in each camp but plenty on the fence too!

Anyone know when the HTC will be available to buy sim free and how much it will cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Having a choice of the data that is displayed when the phone is locked, plus instant access to 4 different apps of your choice depending on where you swipe your finger – absolutely brilliant. I think this would lead to more use of the camera etc.

Is that not a pure gimick though? I mean fine you select the text app and drag it to the cicle, its the same difference to swipe finger and click app. Besides you can get different lockscreens with different functionality.. given samsungs bootloader isnt locked also allows for easy(ier) ROMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Being able to start apps IN the lock screen sounds a little silly...
    Oh well.

Silly? I think its brilliant! It’s not really starting your apps in the lock screen, its going straight to the desired app when you unlock the phone, simply saving you one step. Could mean the difference between getting that great photo or missing it by a few seconds – for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

XDA-Dev's take on the HTC locked bootloader issue:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android/failure-to-launch-htcs-bootloader-policy/

It looks like it'll be a SGS 2 for me, which is a pity since I've really enjoyed my Desire I was hoping for another HTC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Always admired the HTC phones but havent got a smartphone, and it looks like that the S2 is a much better phone even without sense...unless more favourable reviews come out for sensation i think its the S2 I will be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

the sensation is tempting, available now and at not a bad price.
    But i know if i got it there would be a nagging doubt that i should have waited
    for the SG2. The SG2 is the better phone no doubt, the better battery
    is the deal clincher i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was tweeting there with the lad in the videos above and this is what he says:
    If you like eye candy within the homescreens and a bit more personalisation go for the Sensation, if you want Raw power Galaxy

The Galaxy S2 is the better overall phone, but Sense is Sense and works perfect :)

I would pick the GS2 due to its screen, raw power and speed, but there is no question, Sense is more refined than TouchWiz

It seems the only thing going for the Sensation is Sense whereas S2 seems a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The SGS2's screen is streets ahead of the Sensation. Which is a shame, because it's a much nicer device in the hand.

I fail to see why people think that sense is all that? I mean have those of you who keep making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread actually used other non-sense rom's or even stock android..

Cyanogen for instance is ALOT better interface and ALOT faster and better on battery plus ALOT more customisable...

That new sense lockscreen thing is a total gimick.... the whole point of a lockscreen is to prevent you doing things accidentally and that fact aside its as fast to swipe your finger and click the app as it is to long-press the app then drag it into a circle... in fact I reckon that would take longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sense has infrastructure wifi hotspot and wma music support. With stock wifi hotspot (adhoc mode) you can't tether an android tablet. That's the only good thing about Sense really, everything else can be replaced. Samsung probably don't want people tethering galaxy tabs so they will leave this out :D

Um Wifi hotspot is stock in android since 2.1 (i think) its certainly on my phone for ages and i havent had sense in a very long time. Also install Winamp on the phone and it plays wma as far as I know

• Advertisement
Advertisement