Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 km/hr on single carriageway roads

Options
  • 07-05-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I noticed that on many of the single carriageway N roads in Ireland that 100 km/hr is allowed. Am I the only one who thinks that this is an insanely high speed limit for these kinds of roads? In most other countries those roads are 80 km/hr max. Introducing and enforcing an 80 limit on these roads would the first logical step in reducing accidents in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I noticed that on many of the single carriageway N roads in Ireland that 100 km/hr is allowed. Am I the only one who thinks that this is an insanely high speed limit for these kinds of roads? In most other countries those roads are 80 km/hr max. Introducing and enforcing an 80 limit on these roads would the first logical step in reducing accidents in Ireland.

Some of the lowe quality N roads wouldn't be up to it all right. 100 km/hr is fine on HQSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think all drivers should drive at a safe speed .....just cos the limit is 100 doesnt mean it is safe to do this speed.....clearl;y it isnt safe to continue across junctions and round bends at 100 so drivers discretion comes into play here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some N routes are clearly not up to a safe 100 km/h while some R roads are easily good enough but the local authorities don't seem too arsed to put in appropriate limits.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

and the flip side of the coin is the nonsense that is a default 80 limit being applied to a WS2 that was formally 100 just because it is detrunked following a parallel upgrade such as a motorway being built beside it. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

I noticed that on many of the single carriageway N roads in Ireland that 100 km/hr is allowed. Am I the only one who thinks that this is an insanely high speed limit for these kinds of roads? In most other countries those roads are 80 km/hr max.

Depends on what you mean by "these kinds of roads". Plenty of countries that occur to me have 100km/h (or equivalent) as the default limit on single-carriageway roads. In fact, most don't care what the classification of the road is and most don't bother with hard shoulders on SC roads.

Germany, Austria and the UK (60mph) go for 100, regardless of classification. All of these bar Austria have a higher default (none in Germany's case) for DC.

There are other countries that go for 80-90. Those I've driven in tend to be happy to post a special higher limit on roads that merit it. Furthermore, they tend to be countries where SC roads are not used for trunk roads at all.

I'll echo the comment about a driver's duty to maintain a safe speed. The legislators have a hell of a job if you had to drop the limit before every bend.

Dermot

• Advertisement
Advertisement