Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New barrier to be placed nationwide

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Route Selection is ongoing on the Cork NRR. They're on to phase 2 now. The route corridor and junction types are going to be critical if this is going to work or be an unholy mess.

If, and only if, they can restrain development along the road, and at the junctions, it will work. If not, it'll just be another M50.

Details here

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/734326387.pdf

The next step of course, will be redoing the older DC section of the N25 between Midleton and Carrigtwohill. Both Amgen and a new housing development locally each involve a new flyover being constructed. An oportunity to get rid of the at grade crossings, me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In fairness to the NRA, getting rid of median crossings on older DCs is a specialty of theirs. They have eliminated way more at grade crossings than their counterparts the Roads Service in Northern Ireland in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Aidan1 wrote:
    Route Selection is ongoing on the Cork NRR. They're on to phase 2 now. The route corridor and junction types are going to be critical if this is going to work or be an unholy mess.

If, and only if, they can restrain development along the road, and at the junctions, it will work. If not, it'll just be another M50.

Details here

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/734326387.pdf

The next step of course, will be redoing the older DC section of the N25 between Midleton and Carrigtwohill. Both Amgen and a new housing development locally each involve a new flyover being constructed. An oportunity to get rid of the at grade crossings, me thinks.

mmm IMO that section could just do with a dose of tar. Theres a ton of local access in it which will prevent it being motorwayed. Two or three bridges along that length to solve the (incredibly dangerous) at grade minor road crossings of the entire carriageway will be nice. Apart from that and the possible need for a new sliproad at the quarry, this road is fine I think. Drove it today, no major problems. I'd say put that money into dualling the N25 east of Midleton to the other side of Castlemartyr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, theres a couple of turns on that section that just don't need to be there. The road was dualled, by simply building a new carrriageway next to the existing one.

I suspect further east that dualling isn't really required, but bypasses are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

I suspect further east that dualling isn't really required, but bypasses are.
    Yeah i think your right there Victor .It would first be impossible to widen the Midleton Bypass (Because Midleton has expanded behond the bypass) and then widen the Midleton-Castlemartyr-Killeagh because settlements along the road.Maybe just bypass for Killeagh and Castlemartyr
    Apart from that and the possible need for a new sliproad at the quarry, this road is fine I think.
    Yeah its very dangerous there especially with thoses quarry trucks turning there
    I'd say put that money into dualling the N25 east of Midleton to the other side of Castlemartyr.
    I dont think there is need for dualing on the far side of Midleton because most of the traffic turns off at Midleton or at the Lakeview roundabout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

And now they're spending far more money, and basicially causing mayhem for up to 9 years (3 years each) to fix the blunder.
    They're nearly finished Kinsale Road and the other two roundabouts on the SRR are being done at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

They're nearly finished Kinsale Road and the other two roundabouts on the SRR are being done at the same time.
    No they are building the 3 roundabouts one after another. Does anyone know which one they are doin after Kinsale road roundabout?

Read the page, this was answered above :D
    Aidan1 wrote:
    The Kinsale Rd junction will be open before the end of the summer - the total build time will be around 2 years. The next two, Bandon Rd and Sarsfield Rd, will be done at the same time and should start early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The NRA has it as an 'aim' to DC the N25 as far as Youghal.

Much more likely is the possibility that they will grade separate the road as far as Midleton in the short term, with a new flyover at Waterrock and another at the Amgen site. They also intend, and have been asked by CorkCoCo to dual the road from the Lakeview Roundabout East as far as the junction with the old Youghal Road out of Midleton (about 1.5km), build a new grade separated junction there to take traffic from the East (Youghal direction) to the Railway station P+R without conflicting with national traffic.

The Lakeview Roundabout is a serious problem also, and will need work - even a simple slip road to take traffic from Ballycotton/Cloyne/Whitegate on to the N25 West would help a lot in the mornings. That junction is seriously compromised since the day it was built, it was supposed to be grade separated, but the County counci, at the tome ran in to problems acquiring some houses, hence off centre roundabout.

A lot of this is spelled out explicitly in the Special Local Area Plan for Midleton.

• Advertisement

Midletons getting incredibly busy (especially since the Tesco opened), at least they're planning on doing something about it :)

Next task should be the Fota Road onto Cobh Island. No matter the fact that the wall is falling down, its full of potholes, road markings are worn off and the road serves the entire of Cobh, its funding for upkeep this year is €20,000 pacman.gif

Advertisement