Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 2 Captain?

• 19-08-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Not as clear cut a decision as GW1, although Rooney actually had a pretty average return. Those that gambled likely got rewarded with Ramsey, Silva, Siggy, Fabregas etc all performing. I still think it's better to stick with the safe option most of the time, taking educated gambles the odd time.

Costa leads the FF poll at over 50%, but I think there are numerous options out there. Fabregas, Hazard and Rooney should all get votes, with Siggy a worthy gamble. I like keeping polls short so if they aren't in the top 9 here then put it under 'Other' and explain below.

Gameweek 2 captain? 260 votes

Costa - Leicester (H)
    0%
    Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    55%
    VokesjrdsegadreamcastAdMMMsionnachT-b0n3NichololasIagoShaque attackRuggieBearPWEISooner or Laterbohsman[Deleted User]BulmerslassykkLemlinevil_seed[Deleted User]Rikand 143 votes
    Hazard - Leicester (H)
    28%
    SickBoyNeil3030Dont be at yourselfSkySterthe whole year inngimmickmobbyBizzyCrock whoreJoeyjoejoe43lau1247bofGLaDOSNalzbig_showtom_kredzerdrogStevecwjimmy456garra 73 votes
    Rooney - Sunderland (A)
    4%
    Cunning Aliasronan.hSteven81Mr. GuappaTheChevron8-10TimeToShinedjPSBDonerkebabmartingriffMetropolitan 11 votes
    Mata - Sunderland (A)
    6%
    leonardsAce2007El festinorossitHandy11kevohmsfordbensboysitsnotmyfaultThe Neon KnightEasy RodwilliewallaceShedite27NN215Liam2012KE_LN90Christy BrowneGlock Lesnar 17 votes
    Ramsey - Everton (A)
    1%
    Scorpion StingMarkxArnold Tanzarian 3 votes
    Siggy - Burnley (H)
    0%
    GuffySeanJ09 2 votes
    Sterling - Man City (A)
    3%
    rorycjimmyjim11Manzoor14finnharpsboyThe GibzillaJR6Walter WhiteLostBoy101thunderdogtimber train 10 votes
    Sturridge - Man City (A)
    0%
    OTHER
    0%
    res ipsa 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa or Cesc for me with the armband on Costa currently. Siggy is somewhat of a (C) risk if Swansea play Bony and Gomis up front. Could see Eriksen doing very well against QPR at WHL, but wouldn't risk it after Spurs' performance and general shape last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    I'll be waiting to see how Swansea line up at home before I even think about Siggy. If he's out wide then he loses his appeal. And I'd still have serious doubts about Swansea this year. Last week may turn out to be a once off.

People were saying the Siggy was a great shout in GW1 as 7/8 of his previous goals were away. In the same breath they were saying they'll be giving him serious thought for Captaincy this week.... At home... That logic doesn't make much sense to me.

I think I'll be edging towards the Chelsea lads this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Has to be Costa this week. The outstanding choice by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    I think Costa is ready made to go up against this Leicester side and will get into lots of goalscoring opportunities. I think all of the Chelsea midfield could have a good game here, but for FF purposes, I think Costa has the better chance of having the better game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Sterling - Man City (A)
    With Costa only owned by 38% of players (40%+ by the weekend), and possibly only 50-75% of the owners captaining him, a big week for him would actually be pretty good. Will likely have Costa but Siggy is my second choice atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hazard - Leicester (H)
    Don't have Costa, will likely go with Cesc

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa for me

Rooney VC- Will be rotating it between them depending who is at home for about 90% of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hazard - Leicester (H)

Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

Have Costa, Rooney and Rambo.

Will likely go with Costa at home.

Sterling - Man City (A)

This is what could really help us - Rooney was the obvious choice last week but only 1/3 of managers had Costa in their team originally. For many it won't be that straight-forward to get a £10.5m striker in so hopefully we should see a decent jump if he bangs in 2 or more goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Costa

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Have Rooney, Mata, Sterling, Rambo and Siggy, but has to be Costa all the way. He looked very lively last night and I can see him filling his boots st the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ramsey - Everton (A)
    Anyone thinking of going with Mata? Loads will have transferred him out by Saturday so he'll be somewhat of a differential. I think he'll have a good game against Sunderland but Costa will be captained by the majority so it's a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa for me

Rooney VC- Will be rotating it between them depending who is at home for about 90% of the season

Was looking at this earlier.
    Slight spanner: Chelsea and United have the same fixtures (ie both are at home or both away) in 13 out of the next 18 GWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Anyone thinking of going with Mata? Loads will have transferred him out by Saturday so he'll be somewhat of a differential. I think he'll have a good game against Sunderland but Costa will be captained by the majority so it's a risk.

Seems like an awful big risk to take on the second week of the season, especially considering Mata didn't really impress in the first game and United still haven't got settled into their new formation and are struggling to field a convincing starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ramsey - Everton (A)
    AdMMM wrote: »
    Seems like an awful big risk to take on the second week of the season, especially considering Mata didn't really impress in the first game.

Yeah that's it, I just have a good feeling about Mata. Will probably decide to leave it and play safe with Costa.

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    roryc wrote: »
    This is what could really help us - Rooney was the obvious choice last week but only 1/3 of managers had Costa in their team originally. For many it won't be that straight-forward to get a £10.5m striker in so hopefully we should see a decent jump if he bangs in 2 or more goals.

Don't forget the wildcard madness that will ensue if Costa has a big game. People will WC and decimate their teams to get him in. It's not as easy to bring him in as it is with the likes of Sig or Sterling.

Personally i am expecting a 13 point haul from Costa next week and for a lot of WCs to be played to bring him in for GW 3. Those that don't get on him early won't be able to afford him without hurting their team elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa right now, perhaps Fabregas as I think more about it.

My only concern about Chelsea under Mournho is that, once they are comfortable, they ease up and refrain from going out for 4, 5 and 6 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    The fact that Drogba came on for Hazard even though Costa was on a yellow is encouraging. I think Mourinho will want to get him as many goals as possible early on for his confidence.

Sterling - Man City (A)
    Two of my main rivals don't have Costa. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa - easy decision for me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

Hazard - Leicester (H)
    Fabregas for me I can see him running riot against Leicester!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa for now, but it's only Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    COSTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Costa or Fab. Might take a chance on Ramsey though, will see how he plays tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    PARlance wrote: »
    Was looking at this earlier.
    Slight spanner: Chelsea and United have the same fixtures (ie both are at home or both away) in 13 out of the next 18 GWs.

Then I shall pick the easier of the two. It'll be graaaaaaaaaaaaand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Like others, it's on Costa, and likely to stay there.

Would consider Fab also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hazard - Leicester (H)
    Cesc for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    FFS tells me Costa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Costa or Fab for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rooney - Sunderland (A)
    Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Hazard - Leicester (H)
    Edging on Rooney, United away less pressure and can see him banging in a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Edging on Rooney, United away less pressure and can see him banging in a few

United beat Sunderland 2-1 away last season and lost 0-1 at home. Van Gaal is now playing a fairly defensive system.

I'm just wondering why so many people expect United to score a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Tempted by Fab but going with Costa at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Costa or Hazard, almost certainly Costa for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    siggy anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    The fact that Drogba came on for Hazard even though Costa was on a yellow is encouraging. I think Mourinho will want to get him as many goals as possible early on for his confidence.

For this exact reason I suspect that he may well hit a penalty should they get one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    FHFC wrote: »
    For this exact reason I suspect that he may well hit a penalty should they get one....

Same, coupled with the fact that Mourinho has been a bit grumpy with Hazard at times, it may be a way of putting him back in his box.

Pity they didn't get the peno the last day, least it would have been for Costa is an assist (something tells it me he would've taken it). It'd have given us more clarity going forward because if he's on penalties Hazard will outscore Fabregas imo.

Penalties are so important, especially for the top teams it can mean an extra 6 or 7 goals a season plus the additional BPs.

Quick check (on soccerbot which isn't the most reliable any more) and I think Hazard scored 4 penos last season, and Lampard scored 2 also. With lampard gone that could mean an extra 36 points for Hazard if he's on penalties (giving him an average of one extra BP per goal) which is massive.

Costa for me for captain this week. Wouldn't be picking Fabregas ahead of him, despite his 2 assists vs Burnley he played quite deep. The set pieces is an appeal but Costa is far more likely to have a big score.

Sterling - Man City (A)
    Costa taking a massive lead, didn't expect it to be this clear cut. Looks like 85-90% will be going with a Chelsea player anyway! Should probably have stuck Terry in there, he could easily outscore the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hazard - Leicester (H)
    qwabercd wrote: »
    Same, coupled with the fact that Mourinho has been a bit grumpy with Hazard at times, it may be a way of putting him back in his box.

Pity they didn't get the peno the last day, least it would have been for Costa is an assist (something tells it me he would've taken it). It'd have given us more clarity going forward because if he's on penalties Hazard will outscore Fabregas imo.

Penalties are so important, especially for the top teams it can mean an extra 6 or 7 goals a season plus the additional BPs.

Quick check (on soccerbot which isn't the most reliable any more) and I think Hazard scored 4 penos last season, and Lampard scored 2 also. With lampard gone that could mean an extra 36 points for Hazard if he's on penalties (giving him an average of one extra BP per goal) which is massive.

Costa for me for captain this week. Wouldn't be picking Fabregas ahead of him, despite his 2 assists vs Burnley he played quite deep. The set pieces is an appeal but Costa is far more likely to have a big score.

It'll be interesting to see if he stays so deep at home.

• Advertisement

Sterling - Man City (A)
    Will Costa be on pens or Hazard?

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    roryc wrote: »
    Will Costa be on pens or Hazard?

As above I'd guess Costa to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So it looks like Hazard is not taking corners, frees and maybe penalties can't see him being very happy. That's the main reason i picked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    So it looks like Hazard is not taking corners, frees and maybe penalties can't see him being very happy. That's the main reason i picked him.

Their has been no indication that hazard will be taken off pens .

Fabregas - Leicester (H)

He is off other set pieces and they have costa and fabregas now. It is likely that he is off penalties too but we won't know until they get one. If hazard is off penalties then his appeal greatly diminishes, especially at his price.

Fabregas - Leicester (H)

I'm only speculating but it makes a lot of sense if you're Jose.

You've signed a big money striker and brought him to a new league. You need him to hit the ground running and keep his confidencepup and ideally be well up the top scorers list before anyone gets to mention the wird drought. He was establishes penalty taker for his old club.

Makes more sense to have him on pens ahead of your established star midfielder who's not fully fit and who's not your best mate to begin with.

Fabregas - Leicester (H)

I'm only speculating but it makes a lot of sense if you're Jose.

You've signed a big money striker and brought him to a new league. You need him to hit the ground running and keep his confidencepup and ideally be well up the top scorers list before anyone gets to mention the wird drought. He was establishes penalty taker for his old club.

Makes more sense to have him on pens ahead of your established star midfielder who's not fully fit and who's not your best mate to begin with.

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    If costa is the 1st choice penalty taker then he becomes a must have for chelsea considering they got 7 penalties in the league last year and 11 the year before.

Look at how many points Gerrard hoovered up last season from penalties. Costa could have similar returns on top of regular goal scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Fabregas - Leicester (H)
    This post has been deleted.

Costa could be this year's Suarez. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement