Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen sweet potato fries??

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

has anyone seen these anywhere.love sweet potato fries in eddie rockets but cant see see frozen ones for at home anywhere.have tried making them but very hard to get crispy.i know mccain make them but never seen them anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i par boil, then deep fry and also leave the skins on, i find it helps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I *think* JCs supermarket in Swords in Dublin sell them, and afaik, they distribute for a lot of suppliers so might know who else has them?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

vibe666 wrote: »
    i par boil, then deep fry and also leave the skins on, i find it helps.

Same here - par boil (6-8 mins), then cold water to stop cooking more. Fried in sunflower oil in a wok (another 8 mins or so) and drain them on kitchen towel. Plenty of salt helps them crisp up as well.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

With sweet potato chips you'll never really get them as crispy as real poatato chips, but if you follow the tips in previous posts it will help. Skin-on, parboil and all of that. Deep-frying will be best if you have one, but a roasting dish will work also. Put a generous splash of sunflower oil in your roasting dish, into a hot oven (220) and wait til the oil gets really hot, the chips should make a sizzling sound when you put them in.

the other thing is to get them from fryer to plate as soon as humanly possible as they will lose their crispiness very quickly, a lot quicker than regular chips.

another option to save on an extra pan would be to deep fry them at a lower temp first to cook them through, then lift them and whack the fryer up as hot as it will go and then drop them back in to crisp them up. it works well with regular chips, but i've not tried it with sweet pots, so i can't vouch for it in this case 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone ever find these?

no, but i have just discovered (due to leftovers from a bbq) that baked potatoes make the most amazing chips! :)

they were cooked in fol in the oven, so i just chipped them from cold (skin on) and threw in the fryer and they were amazing! lovely and crispy and a different flavour to regular chips and one that i really enjoyed and will do again.

we always end up buying a big bag as its almost as cheap as a smaller one, but then they all sprout before we've used them, so i think next time i'll cook them all off in one go in the oven and freeze them and just get them out and defrost as i need them.

i'm actually wondering if it would work the same with sweet pots too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Used to love eating these in New Zealand where they're pretty common on menus, except they call them Kumara fries. Hadn't a clue what I was ordering the first time, it was quite a surprise to taste sweet chips

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

great to cook in the oven and do not even need oil. Had no dinner and was just about to ring for a take away and saw a spare sweet potato languishing beside the fruit bowl (must have forgotten it there) ......anyway, made wedges, heated the oven to high....very lightly drizzled with olive oil and piri piri chip seasoning that I had in the press....had with a couple of fish gougons I found in the freezer and some marie rose sauce with tobasco.............YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 STRONG_ROOTS

Advertising your product on Boards is not permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I've tried your product just this week. Have to say I was impressed! I'm yet to convert the kids to them but I will deffo have them again. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 STRONG_ROOTS

mkdon05 wrote: »
    I've tried your product just this week. Have to say I was impressed! I'm yet to convert the kids to them but I will deffo have them again. Fair play to you.

Thanks Man, yeah kids and babies seem to love them. My Nephew Oscar absolutely adored them and loads of kids at the ploughing champs you "didn't like" veg were loving them too.

More tasty veggies on their way too!

Advertisement