Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gas boiler locking out

• 02-08-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advise regarding a Mynute 24m boiler. Move into a house that has been empty for 8 months, water, gas and electricty turned back on. Went to run the boiler and it fired up first time, ran for about 10 minutes and locked out ( soild red light ). Turned the dial to reset and fired it again, same thing happened. I have managed to get it to run continuasly 3 times in a week. Bar pressure on boiler is 0 or a little below and this rose to just over zero when the boiler ran right the 3 times

I opened the filling loop in the hotpress ( black 1/4 turn knod ) but this did not effect the pressure at all.

Has anyone got an idea what the issue could be

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Could be low water causing the boiler to overheat (poor circulation) but this one would really need to be checked out, may be a sticking pump as laying there for so long. A good few things to check, best book a service call and have it given the once over

Possibly this a so called semi sealed system, hence low pressure and nothing happening when filling valve opened, but again would have to see it mate

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Thanks DGOBS

I will get on to Board Gais today and get them to do a service.

Should i say that there is a problem before they start or see if they pick up - sort out the problem with a service.

Cheaper and a better service to get a good independent who is in your area rather than BG IMHO, as if there is parts etc, they are going to charge you an arm and a leg to repair it.

bambam26 wrote: »
    Thanks DGOBS

I will get on to Board Gais today and get them to do a service.

Should i say that there is a problem before they start or see if they pick up - sort out the problem with a service.

60% of what you pay for a service with BG goes to BG the other 40% goes to their agent doing the work, when a RGI is only getting a small amount of money for a service they have to make their money by doing a larger volume of work impacting on the service given at times.

You would be better off as Tony posted and get a independent also look at the sticky on servicing do you can make sure you get what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

thanks for the replys,

The missus went ahead and book a service with BG this morning, well she actually signed up for some boiler gold care package which covers parts and labour....women :rolleyes:, its our first house so i am sure we will learn as we go along

• Advertisement

The hard way by the sound of it!
    Gold is such a rip off, and when something serious like a heat exchanger goes you will find its not covered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

DGOBS wrote: »
    The hard way by the sound of it!
    Gold is such a rip off, and when something serious like a heat exchanger goes you will find its not covered!

And if it's a Mynute the heat exchanger WILL get a blockage. I know I have one.

Only if the system is untreated and has scale or sludge, it's normally temperature differential causing issue with these exchangers (they pull themselves apart)

DGOBS wrote: »
    Only if the system is untreated and has scale or sludge, it's normally temperature differential causing issue with these exchangers (they pull themselves apart)

Have to run a little X800 through it at the service. That keeps it going for the year. Around June every year it starts to act up. The system is well treated:D.

I remember Vokera telling me that there is an inherent design flaw with the heat exchanger, it's on the front left quarter of the water ways.

The design flaw I find is that the ends are press-fitted rather than welded seams.

When the differential gets out of whack (beyond 11-20deg) the stress from opposing corners (where flow/return are connected) increases
    due to the copper expanding and contracting, and eventually it begins to leak at the corner.

You can see this effect on the heat exchangers all the time, as there is the 'copper green' in that corner when your servicing, indication it actually leaked slightly at some point (unless the flue is straight or leaning back to the boiler, then it's water getting in past the fan!!!)

Is your own boiler suffering scale? (seeing the area your in) If so, take it out and soak it in 'attacka' overnite with boiling water (internal only as can remove the protective outer material on the heat exchanger) and watch your hands as will bubble over when you add the hot water, but should dissolve a lot of the buildup for you. If it's sludge, replacement is the only option (but I'm sure your system is cleaner than that!!)

• Advertisement

As you can imagine my system is well treated. I have plans for an extensive overhaul of my system next year to make it more efficient so I am not spending any money on it.

There is a lot of them in Balbriggan in very poor shape

I know, scale is a huge problem in this area

Advertisement