Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental treatment,Rip off Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Anyone needing to see the massive price difference between Ireland and abroad, turn on the Pat Kenny show on the radio now. Some dental prices are EUR450 abroad vs EUR700 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

why is it that when we get a report from the OECD regarding consultants' pay or a report on medicine costs or dental care expenses we immediately hear an articulate spokeman on the radio refuting all the facts and they are not pressed by the interviewer?(see Pat Kenny with consultant on Monday)- we get a comprehensive professional report and these people just simply say 'oh no-that's all wrong-this is how it is' and it's left at that-where are all the incisive tenacious journalists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Cilar

davo10 wrote: »
    While the French health system is the envy of many, they also pay a high levi on their income for this.

Tax burden in Ireland is now equivalent to the one in France. Except that in France, the money goes to health system, and public transportation, while it goes to fix problems created by bankers in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Cilar wrote: »
    Tax burden in Ireland is now equivalent to the one in France. Except that in France, the money goes to health system, and public transportation, while it goes to fix problems created by bankers in Ireland

If memory serves me right, the health insurance levy is 10.75% of gross income for every resident in Germany (including pensioners), and just under 10% in France. If our Government announced that PRSI was going up to that level today, there would be outrage.

(My figures for France/Germany could be wrong now, so I'm happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgable)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

shay
    i will be doing that sort of check up soon, always having infections, thrush (asthma sprays and copd sprays side effects)
    did your dentist recommend any preventions or say what you could have done to help this....?
    There seems to be a lot of treatment and pricing but surely prevention is better than cure?
    good luck with your treatment. i tried to answer earlier but got muddled, sorry, not tutored in computer at my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

lochderg wrote: »
    why is it that when we get a report from the OECD regarding consultants' pay or a report on medicine costs or dental care expenses we immediately hear an articulate spokeman on the radio refuting all the facts and they are not pressed by the interviewer?(see Pat Kenny with consultant on Monday)- we get a comprehensive professional report and these people just simply say 'oh no-that's all wrong-this is how it is' and it's left at that-where are all the incisive tenacious journalists?

Did you read the OECD report and its comments that very specifically say that exact comparisons cannot be made due to differring standrds in different countries as to what level of consultant is included in the payscale?

Obviously not!

Same goes for tabloid style reporters who only want a hysterical headline. The more intelligent medical journalists were able to read the OECD notes at the end of the report and reported more correctly.

But sure, why let facts get in the way of a hysterical headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Actually I didn't read it & I'll rectify that however-keep tabloid reporters a million miles away as far as I'm concerned-market driven drivel is the last thing we need-when I think about it-you're correct -prescrition drugs ARE cheaper in Ireland -I just needed you to cast a light where there is darkness-and if it's down to ireland being expensive then why do unions always get a rough time when maintaining a decent standard of living for their members? -don't tell me -it's the market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

lochderg wrote: »
    Actually I didn't read it & I'll rectify that however-keep tabloid reporters a million miles away as far as I'm concerned-market driven drivel is the last thing we need-when I think about it-you're correct -prescrition drugs ARE cheaper in Ireland -I just needed you to cast a light where there is darkness-and if it's down to ireland being expensive then why do unions always get a rough time when maintaining a decent standard of living for their members? -don't tell me -it's the market!

Yes it's the market

Advertisement