Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sushi

Options
  • 23-08-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

hi all, just wondering where I could get some sushi to have at home. does anyone know of a supermarket that sells it or a Japanese shop. I'm located in East meath btw. so drogheda or balbriggan would be the nearest big town. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Marks and Spencer and Tesco normally have it. Look in the sandwich section. Tesco normally have the stuff you need to make your own sushi as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Miaireland wrote:
    Marks and Spencer and Tesco normally have it. Look in the sandwich section. Tesco normally have the stuff you need to make your own sushi as well.

cheers for that. Any suggestions for making it? fillings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

There's a Sushi post in the cooking club with filling recommendations & instructions :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78180638

I quite like onigiri, stuffed rice balls, with hot smoked salmon in the centre (from Aldi most times). You need a mould for it but they can be picked up from ebay cheaply. It's mainly just cooking and seasoning your sushi rice, form the balls, and eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

, stuffed rice balls, with hot smoked salmon in the centre (from Aldi most times). You need a mould for it but they can be picked up from ebay cheaply. It's mainly just cooking and seasoning your sushi rice, form the balls, and eat!

cheers for that. sounds delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

M agus S usually have it but tbh you need to make it fresh for it to taste best.
    I've seen it in some Topaz too but yeah hmm no it's not a "garage food" :D

Places that sell sushi rice usually have the other ingredients too (wasabi, mats, nigri etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Tesco have all the stuff you need to make the rice roles.

I usually go for a Prawn, avocado garlic mayo filling. There is lots of different fillings to be found in the canned fish section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Assorted Fresh Sushi in Lidl from Sept. 1st.

Its advertised in their booklet but can't find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

biko wrote: »
    I've seen it in some Topaz too but yeah hmm no it's not a "garage food" :D

That is actually the same brand/maker that is in Spar, Insomnia, Dunnes, Centra, etc (I know the manufacturer), delivered to all of them on the same day...

And is also the same one that Lidl are now selling under their Vitasia label.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Assorted Fresh Sushi in Lidl from Sept. 1st.

Its advertised in their booklet but can't find anything online.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=12310

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That's disappointing. It's a shame people get introduced to sushi with that garage crap.

• Advertisement

That's disappointing. It's a shame people get introduced to sushi with that garage crap.

Not as if we have much choice in fairness (outside of cities)
    I had a hankering for some last night and I live in Naas.
    Walked to Tesco and they had none.
    No other options without driving to M&S Newbridge.
    (Didnt know about Aldi until today)
    I've had the aldi stuff before and cant complain so if it is the same as Topaz I wouldn't call it garage "crap" and I absolutely hate Garage food!
    Dont get me wrong,nothing beats the real deal.Thats why Im going to Japan in a few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its not that hard to make, you should get some ingredients and have a go!

So after my failed attempt at getting sushi in tesco on Tuesday evening I decided to take a stroll to Lidl.
    I actually forgot how far it was from my house.
    so I walked 4k to find this

g_E8WGyRgOa0q8KfkxuUTNpUp1h7HBov7AzUaEUTe-U=w480-h849-no

Then another 4K home empty handed (except for some chopsticks)
    To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!

Tonight Im going to Lidl in Sallins but I think I'll take the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

OP, I live in Navan and whenever the sushi craving really kicks in I drive into Dublin to meet my sister as an excuse to go for dinner in Yamamori on the quays. We eat our bodyweight in sushi and happily roll home afterwards. It's under an hour's drive each way: totally worth it!! (they also do take away so I get at least two day's deliciousness out of each trip).

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

The only thing I can recommend is, while the stuff you can buy pre packed isn't too bad, don't let it ruin your opinion on sushi if you don't enjoy it. It's alright for a snack, but it really can't compare to the real stuff, there's a few places in Dublin that sell nice sushi, if you're ever in Dublin I highly suggest going to one of those.

Advertisement