Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot chillies

Options
  • 18-07-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I've recently become obsessed by all things spicy and I'm now looking for growers or suppliers of chilli peppers, ghost chillies, habanero or anything along that line.. Any information would be greatly appreciated especially in the cork area

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to the main Food & Drink forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Grow your own. I grow my own chillies every summer in a little greenhouse. I freeze the chillies and use them as needed throughout the year.

There's literally hundreds of different chillies and it very rewarding to grow something unusual each year as well as your usual favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The Asian store beside Lidl on Moore St is deadly for fresh and dried chillis and everything in between. I got a massive bag of gorgeous birds eyes last Saturday and I mean there's about 100 of them there and they were 1.29.

The habaneros are fab as well and the value for money is just unreal. Get thee to the Asian supermarkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Is there a Lidl now on Moore St in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Is there a Lidl now on Moore St in Cork?

Blah, sorry, my bad! Of course that should have been prefaced with "if you're based in Dublin."

Apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jonathanmk84

I have found a place in the English market in cork city that sells madame Jeanette's 100,000-350,000 on Scoville scale they're a beautiful chilli but expensive enough, I will however try a few Asian shops to see can I get them or similar at lesser expense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Check your local supermarket for the prepacked little bunches and see is it a type you want, and use those seeds. I couldn't find Scotch Bonnets anywhere local but got a pack from Dunnes for 89c and about 30-50 seeds contained. Planted a few, and have 2 window boxes with 4 plants each, growing like bejaysus after the June and July sun, flowering now.

Last year I had habanero, red lady finger, birds eye, and something else unidentified all crop good. Very little care taken of them, most can go almost dry and start to wilt, then perk up within hours of watering.

Can't beat the ring sting after making burritos when you know it's self grown and caused! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone got any suggestions for the mixed boxes of chillis you get in Aldi/Lidl? I normally just use the red ones and leave the rest in the fridge to rot unfortunately. When you're feeding the family you can't serve things too hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Deseeding them will reduce the heat somewhat. If still too hot then just use less!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Aldi do a small assorted pack of chillies for about 2 euro. Usually includes a habanero, a scotch bonnet, a Dutch cayenne and a few other less extreme ones I can't remember and gives you a handy heat scale on the back of the pack

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My friend has just recently opened a Mexican deli on South Richmond St and I know she sells lots of different types of dried chillies. You can also buy from their online shop that delivers everywhere in Ireland.

http://www.picadomexican.com/

Advertisement