Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vent for steel shed

• 04-09-2015 7:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice on venting a steel shed.
    At the moment the the only way it vents is at the sides where the corrugated roof meets the walls.
    The problem I have with this is when it rains it is geting in there.
    So get a load of moisture in the winter.

I am thinking of sealing it up with expanding foam and fitting a couple of vents.
    Is this the best way to go about this and where would I pick up suitable vents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

any chance of a picture?
    think about a vent in each gable

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

any chance of a picture?
    think about a vent in each gable

I'll take a pic in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is the ridge arrangement?
    If there is a steel ridge then a few hole in the apex of the roof to allow air to escape up is a good way to get airflow moving.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What is the ridge arrangement?
    If there is a steel ridge then a few hole in the apex of the roof to allow air to escape up is a good way to get airflow moving.

Yes there's a steel ridge.
    What about rain if I put holes in it?

blade1 wrote: »
    Yes there's a steel ridge.
    What about rain if I put holes in it?
    I don't mean drill the ridge, usually the ridge sits above the metal and has some airflow underneath it.
    If you make holes in the roof under the ridge cap it will allow the ridge to breathe.

• Advertisement

Ah right gotcha!
    I'll have a closer look at the ridge tomorrow, cheers.

There's no air exiting at the ridge as the guy that made the shed has put a kind of a foam insulation thing in there I presume to stop the rain.
    829020A9-2BAD-447E-9CF8-701508E717AF_zpsbveewu7f.jpg

And pics of outside and inside where roof and wall meet where some of the rain comes in.
    ACC174C6-C195-4AF0-84BF-E32B8E27F4F2_zpsteokaeu7.jpg
    78EAD74A-5327-4FBC-B978-B0B474A283AC_zpszqmobjpr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

You can get 'profile fillers' which he used in your ridge aswell. If waters coming in on sides I'd just get a piece of 90+ degree flashing made and have it hanging over edge to stop rain coming in. It would allow you to keep your airflow.

gutteruu wrote: »
    You can get 'profile fillers' which are long pieces of foam the exact profile of the sheeting to fill all those gaps. Most steel sheeting companies will have them. They need to match your sheets obviously.

So I could do the sides with the profile fillers, that would be sufficient?
    What could I do with the ridge to vent then?

I don't think there is enough of the roof underneath it(about 2 inches) to remove the "profile filler" as I think rain will get in there.
    Could I make the ridge cap bigger?

Edit: just saw your added on bit now.
    Flashing on the sides would help alright.

What about fitting guttering? That should stop wind blowing the water off the roof back into the shed.
    Check the foam piece in the middle, it should still be able to have holes cut into it, have you any pics of the ridge piece outside?

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What about fitting guttering? That should stop wind blowing the water off the roof back into the shed.
    Check the foam piece in the middle, it should still be able to have holes cut into it, have you any pics of the ridge piece outside?

I was thinking that too.
    Maybe put an ibc tank round the back and have the rain flow into that.
    Do u think gutters would fully keep out the rain out of the shed?
    Can't get a pic of the outside ridge outer.

I think gutters would do a lot for keeping water out, the antidrip material goes to the outside of the roof panels, and any water dripping off the roof can get wicked back up to the inside. Cut the material away from the edge of the roof and fit a gutter and it should stop most of the water coming in the eaves.
    The roof apex should be vented for the best ventilation though, I would investigate how the foam is sitting in the apex, there must be space above it I would think.
    Rain water is good for washing bikes as well, no chemicals etc.

I'll try and check out properly during the week to see I f there is some sort of venting under the ridge.

Advertisement