Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long computer desk

Options
  • 02-09-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I'd like to make a DIY computer desk/surface that spans a space of 3m.
    Tricky bit is supporting the tabletop, it can be anchored into 2 concrete walls, but the 3rd wall is sheet rock and i was unable to find a stud.
    See pic.
    BA7FFC380F844A72B38A1CD434DD97DE-0000316933-0003793974-00800L-1D95415294664851922A74BB71BB0F63.jpg
    I'd really like to NOT have a centre leg supporting the table top.
    Can anybody think of how that could be done?

What if the tabletop was like this:
    1"x 6" x 9ft lengths, standing straight up, with cross supports between them
    This is a top view:
    ________|____________|_____________|_______

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe L brackets in the middle and at the right end of the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The floating effect is usually achieved by embedding steel rods in the table top and in the back wall. Means the table top needs to be a bit thicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

seamus wrote: »
    The floating effect is usually achieved by embedding steel rods in the table top and in the back wall. Means the table top needs to be a bit thicker though.

Oh, nice suggestion.

But how deep into the concrete wall would I have to go?
    And, how is the rod anchored into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

desk top will be c 30 inches
    thigh height on chair about 25"
    so say 1.5 inches for the desk leaves room for a 3.5 inch deep support all the way across at front
    and a deeper one half way in , past the knees, the inner one can be used as a cable tray from left or right

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Baton the whole way around with 2x1's or 3x2's. Use fast nails when securing it to the concrete walls. There has to be a studs in the plaster board, unless the plaster board is bonded onto a cement wall behind it. Then get a length of kitchen worktop for the top of the desk, ikea has some nice cheap counter tops.

Due to the length it might be worth considering building out 2 wooden brackets from the back wall @ 1m and 2m points, to give it additional support. These would only need to come out about 30cm form the wall to provide enough support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement