Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to water proof this socket?

Options
  • 01-09-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

My septic tank pump is activating our trip switch, the power supply is pretty wet so I guess that's why (the pump itself is only a year old). I had previously put some plastic around the socket but it's not doing the job (there's a concrete lid on top of it all). Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That Gewiss GW62436 socket is apparently rated as IP67 and should already withstand immersion in up to 1m of liquid (the 7).

Check the plug going into is also adequately rated and the seals are ok as a few splashes shouldn't cause it to trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

It's probably IP67 only when there's nothing plugged into it, and the lid is sealed shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The plug top should also be an IP67 type, it would have a similar locking ring as the socket.

http://www.electricalwholesaler365.co.uk/Images/Domestic%20Agricultural%20&%20Industrial%20Plugs/GW60026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thank guys. Anything I should do then? Not even sure how to check the seals :-P Do I just visually inspect it to see nothing obvious is broken that would let water in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

From your pic I don't think the plug is IP67, that should be changed anyway.

Besides that look for seals missing, not adequately tightened etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You need to unplug the plug and read around it to see if it is rated to IP67, you can't really tell from a photo as there are hundreds of manufacturers out there.
    After that have a look into the end where the flex goes in - there should be a gland (rubber doughnut) around the flex sealing it to the plug casing. Some people get lazy and don't install this as it may be too tight on the flex.
    The plug will also split in half to allow you access to the terminals - check and see if the seal is intact or even present here. The end that the flex passes thorough should NOT be easy to push it back along the flex if the seal is working correctly.

If you're happy with the plug you need to perform the same checks on the socket BE CAREFUL as that's live electricity in there. The plug is safe to inspect because you have to unplug it to split it this is live!
    The easiest way it to turn off the power at the main trip switch and (if you have one) unscrew the fuse. That kills power to the entire house.

If all this is ok then you need to look around and see if some digging or maybe driving a post for a fence was anywhere near the wire underground that leads out to that socket. Something totally unrelated might be causing this.

After that - call an electrician as they'll have insulation testing tools etc and can track down the fault a lot easier.

Advertisement