Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame flat roof questions?

Options
  • 01-09-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all, myself and my girlfriend bought a 5m x 10m 2 up 2 down stone house and I just finished the block work on an L shaped single story extension. The local builder/roofer is just too busy to take on the job but says I should tackle it myself. We have no pluming and we couldn,t handle a winter here if I don't just get stuck in and do it even though I have very little experience. The timber is on site so I'm starting in the morning.

So the plan is to express nail 4"x2" all the way round the blocks that closed my cavity and then nail 4"x2" to them. Followed by 6"x2" express nailed to the stone work. Does that sound good ?

Where do I go from there ?

It is going to be waterproofed with fiberglass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi all, myself and my girlfriend bought a 5m x 10m 2 up 2 down stone house and I just finished the block work on an L shaped single story extension. The local builder/roofer is just too busy to take on the job but says I should tackle it myself. We have no pluming and we couldn,t handle a winter here if I don't just get stuck in and do it even though I have very little experience. The timber is on site so I'm starting in the morning.

So the plan is to express nail 4"x2" all the way round the blocks that closed my cavity and then nail 4"x2" to them. Followed by 6"x2" express nailed to the stone work. Does that sound good ?

Where do I go from there ?

It is going to be waterproofed with fiberglass.

I would have used 4 x 3 directly express nailed to the blockwork as a finished wall plate.
    Docking to the spine could be more difficult. I don't think express nailing will be so great if it's loose stone fill.
    You might need to get a concrete beam on it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭GreatOaktree

mickdw wrote: »
    I would have used 4 x 3 directly express nailed to the blockwork as a finished wall plate.
    Docking to the spine could be more difficult. I don't think express nailing will be so great if it's loose stone fill.
    You might need to get a concrete beam on it first.
    Thanks for the reply, what do ya mean by docking to the spine ?
    Where do ya want a concrete beam, do ya mean a head the span of the house??
    Should I go with concrete anchors instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

You just will find it difficult to be able to nail or fix anything to the stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks for the reply, what do ya mean by docking to the spine ?
    Where do ya want a concrete beam, do ya mean a head the span of the house??
    Should I go with concrete anchors instead?

Sorry. Silly phone. Docking to the spine almost sounded right. It should have read 'fixing to the stone'.

Advertisement