Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish novels

Options
  • 14-05-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Irish teacher here
    Could anyone recommend a good novel that would be suitable for 2nd - 5th years. I did Gafa [the easy parts] and students loved it.
    Am looking for a new one for next year that students will enjoy.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

mick kk wrote: »
    Irish teacher here
    Could anyone recommend a good novel that would be suitable for 2nd - 5th years. I did Gafa [the easy parts] and students loved it.
    Am looking for a new one for next year that students will enjoy.
    Thanks

Aililiú Bop Siúáidí would have a similar theme and it's suitable for those year groups.

Just out of interest/curiousity, how do you find the time to read an extra novel with the year groups and get the whole course covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Thanks gaeilgebeo...I should have said 2nd and 5th years.
    I didn't read it cover to cover....maybe one class every 2 weeks or so where I would read the easy sections of the book with them. It's a tricky novel in places, but the story is excellent.
    I find with 1st, 2nd and 5th years that one class every two weeks or so can easily be put towards some sort of fun activity. We have 5 periods with fifth years and 4 periods with second years. I don't like using the textbook so I do bits and pieces of it here and there so that frees up time for things like this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know it's on the course so not really a 'fun' thing to do but Hurlamaboc is actually a pretty good novel. Lisín and Pól die in a bomb blast in Turkey and she comes back as a ghost to haunt her Ruán. Some of my 5th years want to read it over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

dory wrote: »
    I know it's on the course so not really a 'fun' thing to do but Hurlamaboc is actually a pretty good novel. Lisín and Pól die in a bomb blast in Turkey and she comes back as a ghost to haunt her Ruán. Some of my 5th years want to read it over the summer!

:D
    That's hilarious.
    Who knew the full version had such a dramatic plot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    :D
    That's hilarious.
    Who knew the full version had such a dramatic plot!

It all kicks off right after the bit we have on the LC course. Students always get a kick out of finding out Lisín dies in the next chapter! The one they didn't invite to the party ends up raising the boys. Fierce high drama. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

There's a short, abridged version of Séanna with a 70-minute cd read by Liam Ó Muirthile - this one - that was a pleasure to listen to on the ipod. It's made for teenagers and when they get stuck on parts of the cd they can consult the book. There are also some helpful pages here. Aside from superb Munster Irish, it's a nice introduction to one of the most famous exchanges in world literature, Faust's pact with the devil.

Advertisement