Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think its fair parents bring young babies on flights for a holiday ?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Well if you and your colleagues are interested its called a Barotrauma, you do a whole section on it when qualifying for Diving.

Here's a link on it if you are interested:

http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=117&pid=1&gid=001064

Basically anything that causes a pressure change such as flying, diving and driving up high mountains.

Happens occasionally when diving also when people have difficulty equalising when coming back up.

Symptoms (in my case) after it happened (Flight from Amsterdam - Cork) and ruptured was a whooshing noise that would happen when I started to talk. It would randomly come and go, since 2008 and luckily I haven't had a problem.

What exactly would you say is wrong with the approach of bringing your baby to your GP to get checked before hand ?

Ok

Family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids) due to go on holiday (1st one in 5 years) 2 days before the holiday that has been booked and paid for 4 months ago and the kids (and parents) have been looking forward to the youngest (lets say 16 months old) gets a cold. Do you cancel the holiday on the chance that a something COULD happen? Hell they COULD get eaten by a shark in the sea, they COULD get bitten by a spider or snake and die do you cancel holiday on that chance?

As i stated earlier EVERY person who has pissed me off on a flight has been over 18 and therefore (in some posters views) old enough to know better. Never ever had a child scream and cry so bad that i would call for all kids (under 2? 3? 4? 5?l) banned from flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

At the very least I would hope the parents would bring their baby to the GP to get checked out first.

I would also hope that the parents would take the advice of the GP rather than just chance it and go anyway.

You know what keith I will let you in on a little secret here.
    Most parents, or at least all the ones I know, would not put their children's health at risk.
    So if they had a very bad cold or ear infection parents would not chance damaging their babies/children's hearing by going on a flight.
    3rdDegree wrote: »
    :mad:It's amazing how emotive this topic can get!

But I must admit that this does my head in completely! :mad:

I was on a flight once to a sun holiday and had the bad luck to be seated beside a "howya" woman and her toddler daughter (I'd say about 3 yo). The moment the plane started to taxi, she wanted a drink. When she couldn't get it, we had the first tantrum. As soon as as that died down, she was "asked" to put up the table, but she didn't want to do that either. Another absolutely nuclear tantrum! :mad: Finally, she decided she needed to get out of her seat and when told she "couldn't because it wasn't safe, love". Again, she completely lost it. And bad an all as she was, the child was worse. My head was fcuking wrecked by the time we landed. :mad:

You see the problem there isn't children.
    It's "howyas".
    It probably wouldn't have mattered if she had a child or not, she was off on her sun hols and that meant she could do whatever she wanted to enjoy herself.

So lets ban "howyas" off airplanes.

Oh and anyone that might get ear problems especially if they are from Holland or Germany as those areas seem to have high propensity to burst eardrums.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

jmayo wrote: »
    So lets ban "howyas" off airplanes.

I'd probably ban howdie-doodies as well, to be honest.

If probably ban howdie-doodies as well, to be honest.

I have seen a few "howya's" give grief and be rude, loud obnoxious but i promise that the so called middle/upper class have caused way more trouble on flights i have been on. Wether it is the sense of entitlement that makes them look down their noses at cabin/airport staff or just the blatant disregard for the people around them. Although i must admit seeing an Irish traveler woman **** herself while while passed out halfway on a seat in Charles de Gaul airport was a particular low day for me.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Although i must admit seeing an Irish traveler woman **** herself while while passed out halfway on a seat in Charles de Gaul airport was a particular low day for me.

I think it's very important that you clarify: Did that censored word begin with P or S?

• Advertisement

I think it's very important that you clarify: Did that censored word begin with P or S?

My bad, the word started with an S.

For further clarification it is sometimes also known as a #2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We're going on a sun holiday when our baby is four months old. I don't see the problem. We would like a holiday and we want to share it with him, taking him swimming and for walks and spending time together as a family, whether or not he will remember it. My parents ate coning with us too and they're really looking forward to a holiday with their first grandchild.

We're going later in the year when it won't be as hot and tbh, when they're younger it's much easier to fly with them, our baby only really cries if he's hungry or has a dirty nappy and they can both be rectified quickly, especially as I'm breastfeeding. It's parents who let their children run riot that give everyone else a bad name. I've flown a lot and seen many examples of good and bad patenting on planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

There are many circumstances where it is necessary for people to fly with young children in my opinion, going on holiday isn't one of them. I'd include children up to at least seven years of age in that.

Ah here, I was flying to the UK by myself at age 7! I think it's the parents' call really, once they aren't on board with a screaming child the entire time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    We're going on a sun holiday when our baby is four months old. I don't see the problem. We would like a holiday and we want to share it with him, taking him swimming and for walks and spending time together as a family, whether or not he will remember it. My parents ate coning with us too and they're really looking forward to a holiday with their first grandchild.

We're going later in the year when it won't be as hot and tbh, when they're younger it's much easier to fly with them, our baby only really cries if he's hungry or has a dirty nappy and they can both be rectified quickly, especially as I'm breastfeeding. It's parents who let their children run riot that give everyone else a bad name. I've flown a lot and seen many examples of good and bad patenting on planes.

Breast feeding? Don't forget now that you can't do that on the plane just in case some sensitive soul is offended and starts a thread on here about it!

It is much easier to travel with babies than toddlers. I wish we had gone away when my daughter was that age. So what if they won't remember it. Babies don't care where they are, once their parents are there to look after them they are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There's nothing worse than being stuck next to a child who doesn't stop crying from one destination to the other.

I'm not sure..
    I was on a return flight from Dallas to Heathrow a few years ago, 11 hours sitting beside the worlds most irritating yank who seemed to have the urge to tell me his life story, over and over..

We go on the ferry to france every year, have done for 10 years now.. Not because I dont want to bring children on the plane but more because we enjoy the ferry, its so much easier way to travel.. Our kids are great travellers and we make sure to have things to hand to amuse them if needs be..
    There is no comparison in using the Ferry to flying... We make sure to have an excursion planned close to the ferry to break any drive we have..

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Breast feeding? Don't forget now that you can't do that on the plane just in case some sensitive soul is offended and starts a thread on here about it!.

Lol! :D That's true, I forgot how offensive breastfeeding is and obviously I'm not discreet at all and wave my boobs around for everyone to see ;)

Lol! :D That's true, I forgot how offensive breastfeeding is and obviously I'm not discreet at all and wave my boobs around for everyone to see ;)

Which flight will you be on? seat #? ;)

Which flight will you be on? seat #? ;)

They're so sizeable at the moment you could probably see them if we were on opposite ends of the plane!

They're so sizeable at the moment you could probably see them if we were on opposite ends of the plane!

Oh airbags :D But back to being serious *cough cough* hopefully you have a pleasant journey:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There's a lady that I know, who has two kids. A boy and a girl. They live in London but the kids dads American so they travel back and forth maybe twice a year.
    The boy is about 8 or 9, and by all accounts the boldest most naughty child there is. His mother has labelled him autistic, despite many many professionals assessing him, and telling her he isn't. But she knows her own son, and she knows he's autistic, apparently. She's been told to take parenting classes to learn how to deal with his bad behaviour, but won't because "it's an illness".

Anyway, they fly to America a good bit, and that child gets to kick and scream and cry and his mother has told the air hostesses that they'll have to listen to the "autistic" child scream for the whole flight if they don't let him sit in the seat he wants to sit in.

Could you imagine being on a plane with him? Even if he was autistic, there's no way I could be listening to that for hours on end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

There's a lady that I know, who has two kids. A boy and a girl. They live in London but the kids dads American so they travel back and forth maybe twice a year.
    The boy is about 8 or 9, and by all accounts the boldest most naughty child there is. His mother has labelled him autistic, despite many many professionals assessing him, and telling her he isn't. But she knows her own son, and she knows he's autistic, apparently. She's been told to take parenting classes to learn how to deal with his bad behaviour, but won't because "it's an illness".

Anyway, they fly to America a good bit, and that child gets to kick and scream and cry and his mother has told the air hostesses that they'll have to listen to the "autistic" child scream for the whole flight if they don't let him sit in the seat he wants to sit in.

Could you imagine being on a plane with him? Even if he was autistic, there's no way I could be listening to that for hours on end
    I've come across this before, people covering uptheir **** parenting with untrue claims of mental disorder.

"Oh yeah.... he has ADHD.... very little i can do...."

"NO HE DOESN'T, HE'S JUST A LITTLE B0LLOCKS NOW TELL HIM TO STOP HITTING MY KID!!!!"

Oh airbags :D But back to being serious *cough cough* hopefully you have a pleasant journey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

As a soon to be dad I totally agree with not taking babies on flights.

Kids on the other hand, between 4 and 11 or whatever age they are still kids...they can be taken on flights but must be kept in line. I have seen kids about 7 or 8 left to run up and down the aisles of a plane while their parents sat back and smiled.

There of course is a need to take children on planes just as anybody has the right to fly on a plane. As for taking them unnecessarily I agree. No need to take a baby/toddler to Fuerteventura. Levae the kids with friends family and take a break as adults if you need it.

However there will be cause for me to take two infants on two long flights next summer. My partner is not Irish and we will be travelling to let her extended family see the two babies. So I believe in this instance it is justified.

Before I knew we were having kids I would have said, "no babies/kids" on flights ever. Now I see it differently. Not for a holiday, but when it is to see family or be introduced to their second home then it is fine, and everyone else on that plane, if my kids are noisy, will just have to put up with it or esle buy first class seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,161 ✭✭✭✭josip

Arpa wrote: »

Kids on the other hand, between 4 and 11 or whatever age they are still kids...they can be taken on flights but must be kept in line. I have seen kids about 7 or 8 left to run up and down the aisles of a plane while their parents sat back and smiled.

There of course is a need to take children on planes just as anybody has the right to fly on a plane. As for taking them unnecessarily I agree. No need to take a baby/toddler to Fuerteventura. Levae the kids with friends family and take a break as adults if you need it.

However there will be cause for me to take two infants on two long flights next summer. My partner is not Irish and we will be travelling to let her extended family see the two babies. So I believe in this instance it is justified.

Before I knew we were having kids I would have said, "no babies/kids" on flights ever. Now I see it differently. Not for a holiday, but when it is to see family or be introduced to their second home then it is fine, and everyone else on that plane, if my kids are noisy, will just have to put up with it or esle buy first class seats.

Good luck keeping your nicely organised world of rules and boundaries after you do become a dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I must say, it's incredibly handy that your views on the matter of taking small children on flights just happens to tie in perfectly with your own particular requirements.
    I mean what are the chances of that happening?
    I know the cynical would say, 'hey, he's only making up these rules to fit around his own life', but don't worry, I know you wouldn't be as shallow as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I must say, it's incredibly handy that your views on the matter of taking small children on flights just happens to tie in perfectly with your own particular requirements.
    I mean what are the chances of that happening?
    I know the cynical would say, 'hey, he's only making up these rules to fit around his own life', but don't worry, I know you wouldn't be as shallow as that.

You will never understand until you no longer have kids !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I have to say, my stomach does a little flip when I see babies on planes, especially the tiny ones. Some cry, some don't, but you can never tell how it will go.

Got stuck next to two parents and their baby on a flight to the UK once. The baby screamed and cried the whole way. Now, I don't have kids or much experience of kids, but this child was distressed for the entire time. Real tears and it he seemed really upset. They did nothing. The mother read a magazine while the father played with his phone. They made no attempt to comfort the child, feed it, sooth it, whatever. How they just blanked it, I don't know.

Funnily enough, when we got through arrivals I overheard them telling whoever met them that he hadn't made a sound for the entire flight. Poor child had spent so long crying that you only had to look at him to know it.

Some people will bring a baby on a flight without any consideration for the other passengers or the baby. This is one of the reasons that I don't go to those family destinations, the queues of tired, bored children and frustrated parents, crying babies, all waiting to board flights. It only takes one (as a frequent flier, I have met more than my fair share of ones) to ruin your whole flight, which can have a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

Translation: The mother is too lazy to make an effort and too arrogant to admit that she has raised a brat and to avail of any help to learn to deal with it.

Absent documentation from professionals confirming that the child is autistic, I'd say that the flight attendants should be able to remove mother and brat from the plane, and that the airline should be able to ban them. I'd trust the professionals who actually know what they're talking about more than the woman who refuses to admit that her precious son is a bold child whose mother has failed to teach him to behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Bringing kids on planes is do-able but requires effort on behalf of parents. A couple of posters have hit the nail on the head: make it adventure; be prepared with distractions; and be prepared to improvise. Jebus, long haul flights leave you shattered though.

All that said, Aer Lingus have this great thing going if you book online: they offer you the opportunity to pick your seats - at a price. Imagine, paying for the guarantee that you will sit next to your kids! I think it's a stroke of marketing genius to give parents the option of not having their kids sit next to them - it could only have been thought up by a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

cranks wrote: »
    All that said, Aer Lingus have this great thing going if you book online: they offer you the opportunity to pick your seats - at a price. Imagine, paying for the guarantee that you will sit next to your kids! I think it's a stroke of marketing genius to give parents the option of not having their kids sit next to them - it could only have been thought up by a parent.

What do they do in cases where a family doesn't pay to pick their seats in advance and there aren't seats available together for them when they board? A stranger can't be expected to supervise somebody else's child if they end up stuck next to them.

Airlines will ask people to move around until 2 seats can be arranged together for parent and child. Airline staff are pretty experienced at this and most people are flexible about moving.

josip wrote: »
    Airlines will ask people to move around until 2 seats can be arranged together for parent and child. Airline staff are pretty experienced at this and mowhilest people are flexible about moving.

In my experience, not Ryanair! A horrifying and fascinating thing to behold: Obnoxious Ryanair staff who won't budge and panicked parents having no idea what to do! Stalemate, the kids happily ran riot around the plane.

In my experience, not Ryanair! A horrifying and fascinating thing to behold: Obnoxious Ryanair staff who won't budge and panicked parents having no idea what to do! Stalemate, the kids happily ran riot around the plane.

Sorry, when I said "Airlines" I didn't mean RyanAir.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

cranks wrote: »

Ehh, no they don't. You can chose your seat for free when you check in on-line. Except for the first couple of rows and the emergency exit, those you have to pay extra for.

Of course if you leave it until the last minute to check in most seats will be gone and it's harder to sit groups together but that’s hardly the airlines fault.

In fact I fly quite a lot and have seen the cabin crew do their utmost to ensure family’s sit together by asking other passengers to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

We didn't take our kids on holiday till they were at least 3. It wouldn't matter to me if it was by boat or plane, I just don't see the point in taking babies on holiday. I know people who took a 6 week old baby to Spain, that to me just sounds like hardship. Having bottles to sterilise, having to keep the baby out of the sun, not being able to relax with a few drinks over dinner, would not be my idea of a holiday at all. I swear with some people it's a keeping up with the joneses kind of thing. They are determined to have that holiday to talk about, whatever it takes. We were in Portugal, nearby to where Madeline McCann went missing, only the week after she disappeared. My nerves were extra shot to sh*t, having our then 3yr old with us:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I came home from Italy once with a woman and a roaring baby. The women on the plane rallied together and took the baby for as long as they could endure and they it was passed on. This was before my baby days, when I did not know how to hold one, let alone comfort them. The poor mum was really upset as well. It put me right off, and I never took my own on a plane, sure they ask me are we nearly there by the time I get out of my estate, not great travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Yes - leave your kids with somebody else for a week instead of potentially upsetting some rando on a plane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

73Cat wrote: »
    We didn't take our kids on holiday till they were at least 3. It wouldn't matter to me if it was by boat or plane, I just don't see the point in taking babies on holiday. I know people who took a 6 week old baby to Spain, that to me just sounds like hardship. Having bottles to sterilise, having to keep the baby out of the sun, not being able to relax with a few drinks over dinner, would not be my idea of a holiday at all. I swear with some people it's a keeping up with the joneses kind of thing. They are determined to have that holiday to talk about, whatever it takes. We were in Portugal, nearby to where Madeline McCann went missing, only the week after she disappeared. My nerves were extra shot to sh*t, having our then 3yr old with us:(

I found it easier travelling with a six month old than a three year old. Microwave steriliser for the bottles, over estimate the amount of formula you need and buy the nappies locally.They seem to handle the pane better too.
    A lot handier than running after a three year old. Nothing to do with 'keeping up with the Joneses'. We just try to get away every year. My in-laws came away with us a few times and we rented a house which gave us a break the odd evening. It's all about what works for you.

We went to Portugal the following year after Madeline McCann went missing and it did play on my mind, but I wouldn't leave my kids alone for 2 seconds, let alone a couple of hours at night

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MamaK

Haven't read through all the replies on this thread but just to say that my hubby & I flew with a 15 month old to Portugal in April. It was about 19/20 degrees there at that time so we thought it would be comfortable for him. Neither of the flights were a bother - he ran around the airport so excited(with one of us following him) & tired himself out. I am still feeding him, so on landing and take-off boobs were put to good use and he pretty much went straight to sleep after that. I kept the safety belt on him the entire flight so that he never thought about running around and luckily that worked. The holiday was our first with a smallie and without doubt, it was completely different from any other holiday we have taken but the sunshine was great, we centred all activities around him and worked our day around what suited his mealtimes etc. I have to say he didn't eat a great deal but seemed quite happy to subsist on breastmilk, yoghurts & an odd bit of pasta while normally he tucks into a big bowl of food. But it didn't seem to bother him and because of the feeding, I had no worries about dehydration! Would I be in a rush to do it again? Probably not but he is a lot more active now so it would be more difficult to keep him happy sitting. A small baby would be even easier I'd say because feeding solves most issues...in our house at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

MamaK wrote: »
    The holiday was our first with a smallie and without doubt, it was completely different from any other holiday we have taken but the sunshine was great, we centred all activities around him and worked our day around what suited his mealtimes etc.!
    Wow, seriously that sounds like a completely shyt way to spend holiday time. I'm filled with dread at the thoughts of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm filled with dread at the thoughts of it

Don't breed. You won't dread, no more people like you, everyone's happy.

Advertisement