Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mosquitoes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

if it's in your own garden, grow plenty of mint & lavender plants..they dislike the smell :)

Other than that stay in doors :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

I found this from cork 96 fm on how to make a mosquito trap.
    https://www.facebook.com/Corks96fm?ref=stream&hc_location=stream
    Hope this helps some of you!!

On their site are photographs to make it easier to make

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
    Items needed:
    1 cup of water
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 gram of yeast
    1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
    1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
    2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
    3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
    4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
    5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

It may be of use Db

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm convinced its genetic. I can sit out in a jungle and they won't go near me, and other people will be eaten alive. My dad is the same. I think I've had one, maybe two suspected mosquito bites in my life, and its not for want of traveling.
    Well if it's genetic I wonder why the rest of my family get bitten alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Found this old article - Eanna from the Mooney Goes Wild show says we have 20 species. I heard 14 species years ago so they must have found a few more since.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/0802/world/cover-up-the-mozzies-are-near-38854.html

Yes - seemingly Ollie Cromwell caught the malaria here - last reported person to do so.

Weather a few decades after his time wiped out the malaria carrying ones. Can't see a reason why they might not re-establish at some point if imported unwittingly in luggage etc.

Cool damp summers like 2012 help them reproduce so sadly we are reaping that harvest now. Might have it easier next year if this summer continues its form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Alun wrote: »
    Forget Deet, Avon Skin so Soft is the thing, and I can confirm it works as I spend a lot of time hillwalking in Wicklow and it keeps them at bay just fine ...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

You have obviously never seen angry Asian mossies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Everyone gets bitten by the little f*ck*rs some of us are just lucky enough that we don't react to the bites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

I like the name "mozzies" but i also like "skeeters" dont know witch to call em, well thats what i call the one,s that dont bite me,I have a different name for the ones that do bite me:mad:

anyone know how to tell a horsefly bite from a mozzie bite?

The size of the bite and the pain rather than the itch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I've never been bitten, home or abroad...until now. I used repellent on Sunday and now I have 10+ bites on my arms and face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've never been bitten, home or abroad...until now. I used repellent on Sunday and now I have 10+ bites on my arms and face!

Completely pulled this out of my ass, but my immediate thought process was:

You probably had an in built repellent.
    The repellent applied likely counteracted the inbuilt on.
    Now you have no repellent, or weakened repellent.

Please say that makes sense to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Completely pulled this out of my ass, but my immediate thought process was:

You probably had an in built repellent.
    The repellent applied likely counteracted the inbuilt on.
    Now you have no repellent, or weakened repellent.

Please say that makes sense to someone.

Not really :P I won't be using it again that's for sure. My parents always use it and they get destroyed with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Not really :P I won't be using it again that's for sure. My parents always use it and they get destroyed with them.

OR it could be the residual smell from the repellent actually attracts the skeeters, forcing you to apply more and more.

*mumble mumble*Aliens ate my deep fat fryer*sound of tin foil being shaped into a hat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Well if it's genetic I wonder why the rest of my family get bitten alive.

You were adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hi all my brothers wife woke up at 2am last Friday with severe pain on her ankle. The next day it was quite red and began to get worse.

She was not really able to walk on the affected foot. The redness spread up near her knee and the affected area bubbled.

The redness has mostly gone from her leg but now there is a large blister and appears to be trapped blood.

I have attached a picture but I do warn you all that its not a pretty sight.

My brother said he killed two things that he thought looked like mosquitos. They live in a basement apartment in Dublin city centre and have not been anywhere hiking or anywhere the usual midges and bugs can be expected.

The doctor gave her some medication which I think are antihistamine. They have since been to St Vincents hospital and been given a stronger dosage. They are not happy with how it is looking each day so they now wish to see a consultant.

Can anybody advise if they have encountered something similar before?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Wife had something similar they gave he antihistamine and topical cortisone cream . Get gp do refer if its getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all my brothers wife woke up at 2am last Friday with severe pain on her ankle. The next day it was quite red and began to get worse.

She was not really able to walk on the affected foot. The redness spread up near her knee and the affected area bubbled.

The redness has mostly gone from her leg but now there is a large blister and appears to be trapped blood.

I have attached a picture but I do warn you all that its not a pretty sight.

My brother said he killed two things that he thought looked like mosquitos. They live in a basement apartment in Dublin city centre and have not been anywhere hiking or anywhere the usual midges and bugs can be expected.

The doctor gave her some medication which I think are antihistamine. They have since been to St Vincents hospital and been given a stronger dosage. They are not happy with how it is looking each day so they now wish to see a consultant.

Thanks

tell her shave her legs, that'll sort it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Any home remedies to put on a bite so itchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

She's allergic to mosquito bites I'd say. I've seen huge blisters like that on people from mozzies before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You have obviously never seen angry Asian mossies...

The only thing I have used effectively VS asian mosquitoes is 100% DEET. I would rather burn with DEET than itch with skeet(ers). Er...

I usually hedge my bet and add Euc into the mix when I am practicing forestry here, in the UK, and in the pacific northwest of the States.

Luap wrote: »
    Any home remedies to put on a bite so itchy!

Ammonia works very well on mosquito bites; it is sold in the US as Afterbite but is basically pure ammonia. Buy it in the chemists or supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yep I had to get an anti-histamine for my bites seems to have done the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You were adopted.
    No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I'm covered in bites from the last few days but to top it off I accidentally stood on a wasp hive last night, I'm destroyed.

Wasps live in nests. Hives are for bees.

Here to help

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I'm covered in bites from the last few days but to top it off I accidentally stood on a wasp hive last night, I'm destroyed. I picked up a after bit roll on thing and its helping a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

lightspeed, there is a possibility that it is a reaction to a spider bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

there here alright,i found 2 dead ones in the shower earlier,definitely mosquitos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

there here alright,i found 2 dead ones in the shower earlier,definitely mosquitos

The lesser known Mosquiticus Hygienicus Hybernie, one presumes? Spoken in a slow monotone David Attenborough voice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

gurramok wrote: »
    I should of said malaria carrying mosquito's!

I did get bitten a fair bit by them in Florida, thankfully none so far in our heatwave :)

You also should have learned how to speak and write English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

You think the bites we get in Ireland are annoying? I lived and worked in Asia for a year and got awful awful mozzie bites.

In Florida? You gotta be joking. Maybe a Hispanic dialect. Even Jeb Bush's is a bit dodgy when he's talking to Floridians :D

Working outside this evening and got three bites. Two on my bald patch and one in the leg. Four citronellas lighting but they slip in and out quickly :mad:

• Advertisement

You think the bites we get in Ireland are annoying? I lived and worked in Asia for a year and got awful awful mozzie bites. Pic included for ye non-believers... and these were the SMALL bites I got.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/giant_eye/IMG_3361_zps9b079755.jpg[/QUOTE]
    They obviously like a cute butt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Believe me mate, you have to experience Scottish midgies, I was in the Stirlingshire countryside two weeks ago and the bloody things would cut ya to pieces. I was playing gigs there and the place we were staying was supposed to have been where Robert the Bruce was born and where the Monarchs were slaughtered by William Wallace for betrayal to King James, Rob Roy was from there too. Fcuk what was I talking about again, yeh bloody Scottish midgies, well these Stirling ones, I call them FCUKInG ROB ROY MIDGIES>

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MadsL wrote: »
    Tip for the bites: dab of ammonia works a charm.

Get it in a Pharmacist? ***** mauled me the weekend.

mackg wrote: »
    Get it in a Pharmacist? ***** mauled me the weekend.

Or Tesco/SuperValu. Could even use Windex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MadsL wrote: »
    Or Tesco/SuperValu. Could even use Windex.

Looked at the only window cleaner and ammonia wasn't listed on it. Have to go to the chemist anyway before work. According to some other website banana peels are good but that also recommended homeopathic stuff.

Looked at the only window cleaner and ammonia wasn't listed on it. Have to go to the chemist anyway before work. According to some other website banana peels are good but that also recommended homeopathic stuff.

I think you meant water when you typed homeopathic. That's all that is in it.
    Save your money ffs.

The Windex comment was a film reference.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lightspeed wrote: »

I have self diagnosed that I am allergic to mozzie bites.
    Every time I go away I come back with bites that take forever to get rid of, itch like fuk and go beyond your normal red bump when you get bitten.
    The feckers love me.

I was in Rome last week, I started taking antihistamines a few days before hand as I knew I'd be bitten.
    That picture you posted could be any one of the 5 bites I got on my right foot. Although two of mine had much bigger swelling.

Donno why they picked on one foot but it now looks like something you'd see on a leper colony.
    These were the worst bites I've gotten so far and they swelled up like large blisters.
    I drained them and they seem to be healing nicely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes grammer Nazi. I bow to your superior English:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Looked at the only window cleaner and ammonia wasn't listed on it. Have to go to the chemist anyway before work.

Try hydrocortisone gel. I used it in the States, not sure if you can get it here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Believe me mate, you have to experience Scottish midgies, I was in the Stirlingshire countryside two weeks ago and the bloody things would cut ya to pieces. I was playing gigs there and the place we were staying was supposed to have been where Robert the Bruce was born and where the Monarchs were slaughtered by William Wallace for betrayal to King James, Rob Roy was from there too. Fcuk what was I talking about again, yeh bloody Scottish midgies, well these Stirling ones, I call them FCUKInG ROB ROY MIDGIES>

Were they blue ones or did they have green and white stripes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

gurramok wrote: »
    Try hydrocortisone gel. I used it in the States, not sure if you can get it here though.

You can get it here alright. Any pharmacist will have it. IIRC it's called E42.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

It's only the females that bite. I told this to an ex who was annoyed and started having a go at me while looking for a sexist angle. Bite me you twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I got one on the back of my shoulder, one on my thigh and 3 down my calf over the weekend (Cork). They're great big red itchy bumps. I must be a bit allergic.

I could hear one when I was in bed last night and leapt up and turned on the light and there one was on the wall. I belted it with a sock and didn't hear it again and I don't have any additional bites.

They're not midges.

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publichealth/images/mosquito/popups/mosquito01.jpg

They often come inside during the day and hide in darkened areas. If you
    have a fan and its on at night it will deter them. If you keep windows closed at night but are bitten more than likely they are on your window waiting for you to open it next morning. Any still water is a perfect breeding ground for them so make sure that you do not leave any around long term.

As soon as you realise you have been bitten rub a bit of salt on it and massage with water. It helps to reduce the itching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

1 bit me on the small of the back as I was getting into bed last night and then had the cheek to buzz around the bedroom as we were reading. Hairspray took care of that little bit*h, she's bitten her last victim:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

In my 8 years living in Cork I had always open window and not a single mosquito wondered in the house. This summer until tonight the same. I've never seen here so many altoghether as I've killed this night. I'd say about 30 of them on the ceiling before I decided to close my door for the first time because of mosquitos in Ireland (in the city :) ).

Advertisement