Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st footie Game attended / Best Game

• 08-07-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭

My 1st game was Man Utd-QPR 2-0 in 1985. This was back in the days when a Utd win wasn't guaranteed in any match. went over on the ferry. was only a kid so everything was amazing. can't remember who scored, tried to look it up but no luck, can only find the score on the web. Still have a scarf and the program at home somewhere.

This is a pretty rubbish 1st game story :). Anyone got any decent ones ? I did stay unbeaten as a spectator for about 10 games. My mates ban me from going anymore as I had a pretty bad run for a few years. saw Utds 1st loss in OT in a European game and a few other disasters.

Just added in Best Game as well to beef it up. Barca OT in a group game in 1994 I think, 2-2. Scholes either played or came on as a sub, he was only a nipper. Think Hughes and Sharpe scored. Sharpes goal was a backflick a bit like Ronaldos against Villa the season gone past in OT but a bit better I think :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

First game was Ireland vs Chile at Landsdown in May 1991, finished a 1-1 draw. Cant remember who scored. Probably best known as being Roy Keane's debut. I remember going on to the pitch at the end and wanting to pick the grass because for some reason i thought it would be different to normal grass. Can still remember the look on my dads face when i tried to explain why i thought it would be different, i was only 7.

As for the best, no idea TBH.

1st was Ireland vs Macedonia at lansdowne, we won 3 nil and McAteer scored I think. Dont remember it too well but was in the West stand Upper.

Best game: no contest, united vs Barcelona this year at OT. Best atmosphere ever, all the ST holders around us told us after it was the best atmosphere they'd ever seen, just an amazing night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

First Game Arsenal Versus Charlton at Highbury September 1989, we won 1-0 Brian Marwood Penalty.

Best Game, was also I have to say one of the most memorable days of my life, Arsenal versus Wigan May 2006, last game played at Highbury, a truly memorable,emotional match/day. Roger Daltrey from The Who also performed after the match.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

First game was an FAI Cup game at the Carlisle grounds before Bray Wanderers were a LoI club. Some guy my father knew was playing for Bray, which is why we went to watch it. No idea who the opposition were or what the result was, my one abiding memory is of a guy with a bucket wandering around the terraces at half time taking up a collection.

Best? No competition there, this game last November. The atmosphere was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FAI Cup 1990, Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

How is it possible for an Irish person who is football fan first game not be an Ireland or Irish league match?

My first game was a Shelbourne match in 1998. They gave out tickets to underrage players and my cousin brought my team along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

First game I think was Liam Brady's testimonial in 1990,cant remember the date or the opposition, all I can remember is he played about 10fecking minutes! I also remember going to a game in RDS shamrock rvrs vs man city (Nial Quinn was playing).

Best game ive been to is a toughie, been to a few crackers with Celtic. 6-2 vs Rangers in 2000

Liverpool vs Celtic in 2003. Was at both games that yr but the away game in Anfield was really special because nobody gave us a chance, and the liverpool fans at the end where really really gracious in defeat

But my favourite game of all time really has to be Ireland vs Holland in Landsdowne Road, everything about that day was special. Its amazing to think that it was actually 7 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I think it was Galway Utd - Man City in the late 90s, Niall Quinn playing for city.

Best game, nothing in it between Kilkenny away, the Santry Siro massacre and Aberdeen away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

First match Rangers 8-0 Stranraer, Scottish Cup 1986 or 87 (not sure right now)

Best football match, Rangers 2-1 Leeds Champions League 1992

Favourite memories, Rangers 6-1 SPL 2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

First game - Ireland 3 Switzerland 0, Lansdowne Road, June 1985. I'll never forget the Swiss fans in the lower West Stand with their cowbells! And being amazed that Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath and Kevin Sheedy were right there in front of me...

Best game...

Liverpool 5 Alaves 4, Uefa Cup Final 2001. Great day, crazy night.

Or else, Ireland 1 Spain 0 in April 1989. I don't think it was even that great a game but it was as if we all knew that the team was on the verge of something huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

How is it possible for an Irish person who is football fan first game not be an Ireland or Irish league match?

My first game was a Shelbourne match in 1998. They gave out tickets to underrage players and my cousin brought my team along.

Suppose it depends what part of the country you are from. LOI football doesn't exactly cover a great area outside of Dublin. Cork didn't have a club when I was a kid (Cobh didn't count !! :)). Now you mention it though I did go to Ireland-Spain in Flower Lodge in either 84 or 85 so that would have been my 1st live game. Hand was the manager at the time. Awful game. no chances as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

peter1892 wrote: »
    Or else, Ireland 1 Spain 0 in April 1989. I don't think it was even that great a game but it was as if we all knew that the team was on the verge of something huge.

Agreed. That game holds a real soft-spot for me too. Probably my favourite Ireland game of all time (even more-so than our wins v England, Holland and Italy). I watch the replay of it everytime it's on tv and still find it hard to believe that it could have ever been *that* sunny in this country. A surreal day to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Everton 4 Cork City 0

musgrave park 1990!

think this was when dave barry scored vs bayern munich at the same venue

of course Everton destroyed them, cottee and sheedy got a brace I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

First game - Dundalk vs Liverpool, Oriel Park 1989

Best game - Ireland vs Romania, Genoa 1990

Honourable mentions to Liverpool vs Chelsea at Anfield in the 2nd leg of the CL semi in 2005. And also France vs Ireland the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ireland - Portugal. About '95 I think. Finished 1-0 to Ireland, stan getting the winner. Ah, memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My first match was the Ireland - Holland game at Euro 88. Dont think I went to any of the qualifiers. Best I think was Liverpool -Chelsea (2-0), the season before last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

man utd vs shels.

got beckham's autograph as he was on the bench, thought i was the dogs bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eh, my first ever game was actually Rovers against Finn Harps I think. Was Rovers first game in Morton Stadium.

My best game was either Shels against Hajduk Split. When we won 2nil:D
    Or in 2006, we were two nil down away to Bray at half time and we won 3-2 with Crowe scoring in the last minute. Will never forget that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

My first game was Man United vs Lille in the CL in Oct 2005. It ended 0-0 and was probably the dullest game of the season but I thought it was the dogs bollocks because I got to see the players I had been supporting for years for the 1st time. Didn't get to see Rooney though because he clapped in the face of that referee against Villareal and got himself suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First ever game was Shels v Dundalk at Tolka in 1989. Not exactly sure of the result but think we got hammered 5-0 or so.

First City game was a friendly also v Dundalk up in Oriel around 1993. My hero Niall Quinn played and it made my summer.

First City game over there was v Leeds in 1995. Woeful 0-0 draw.

Best game I've been to would be either City 4 - 0 Lincoln in Division 2 (33,000 in a sold out Maine Road)

or

The Shels 6 - 4 Bohs game at Dalyer about 4 or 5 years ago. Me and MrJoeSoap the only two Shels fans sittin in The Shed gettin pelted with bottles, chips etc for the whole game! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

first match not a clue

first premier league liverpool against sheffield wednesday at anfield in september 1997

i enjoyed the barcelona and betis game at the camp nou in november last, ronaldinho was great that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

SantryRed wrote: »
    Or in 2006, we were two nil down away to Bray at half time and we won 3-2 with Crowe scoring in the last minute. Will never forget that game.

Unfortunately my friend, neither will I!! (though it was some comeback I must admit).

First game was Dalkey Utd. v. Athlone Town FAI Cup 1976(ish) in the self same Carlisle Grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Xavi6 wrote: »

or

The Shels 6 - 4 Bohs game at Dalyer about 4 or 5 years ago. Me and MrJoeSoap the only two Shels fans sittin in The Shed gettin pelted with bottles, chips etc for the whole game! :D

Was some game alright, thought we were doing a Santry again, but in reality it was Pete Mahon with a 3 man defence Anthony Shevlin with no knees in the centre of it and Mark Dempsey a left winger at left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Xavi6 wrote: »
    First City game was a friendly also v Dundalk up in Oriel around 1993. My hero Niall Quinn played and it made my summer.:D

I was at that one too. That was the only chance I got to see City then-when Peter Reid started bringing City over here on their annual p*** up in the early 90s.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pool 8-0 beiktas probably the best

bohsman wrote: »
    Was some game alright, thought we were doing a Santry again, but in reality it was Pete Mahon with a 3 man defence Anthony Shevlin with no knees in the centre of it and Mark Dempsey a left winger at left back.

Lol yeah both defences were woeful that night. We had one Brad Jones in goal for us and he had a shocker.

Had to do a burner as soon as Davy Byrne scored the sixth to avoid gettin a hiding!

Can't seem to find a match report anywhere for the game.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I was at that one too. That was the only chance I got to see City then-when Peter Reid started bringing City over here on their annual p*** up in the early 90s.

Ha ha yeah that's right. I remember drivin up with the oul lad all smiles that morning. 99% sure I still have the match programme at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

First Game - Pats -v- Shels in Harolds Cross about 1991, I was only 1 and can't remember a thing from it.

Best Moment - There's too many to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

first game ireland russia we won 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

First game was out in Bishopstown with my Dad against Shamrock Rovers though my Dad claims he never brought me to a City match. He's a closet Cork Celtic supporter but only get this out of him after a few Murphys.

Best games, both in recent memory and both with same scoreline.

3-2 vs Shamrock Rovers. 2-0 down at half time and jimmy Mulligan comes on a scores a brace to win it. Que hysteria in the Shed (never equalled since IMO!:pac:)

3-2 vs Bohemians 2003. It was a massive match for a Tuesday night. Bohs the reigning champions come to a packed floodlight Turners Cross to face a new slick Cork City with O'Flynn & O'Callaghan the talk of the City. Bohs take a 2-1 lead to half time with a Glen Crowe header coming at the whistle. John O'Flynn equalises with a tap in off the post midway into 2nd half and then 2 minutes into injury time Dan Murray plays George in with a Baresiesque ball over the top and he passes it in the side of the net passed the Bohs keeper. Again que mass hysteria all over the ground and a standing ovation off the pitch. The 4 pages devoted to the game in the Echo the following day was confirmation that Cork City FC had arrived officially as an institution in Cork sport!

Advertisement