Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever notice irish people come off as english by the way they write in this forum?

• 30-06-2008 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Tis fierce funny.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea ok. on yer bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I agree with you in what you've just said but theres seriously no need to make a thread just to rile people up, with no real points in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I beat an English lad in the final of my Fantasy League head to head and I loved it!

OP, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Examples? Apart from the use of the word 'mate' which I'm not too keen on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

It seems to stem from the way you lads structure your sentences,it's quite interesting to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

u referring to football cliche language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

conceited wrote: »
    It seems to stem from the way you lads structure your sentences,it's quite interesting to say the least.

it's called typing in legible English. so often i'm tempted to type out the normal slang i'd speak with but it looks horrible on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Oh ok, maybe I don't agree with you after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I was not aware that there was a common/established difference in how Irish and English people "structure" their sentences?! Maybe the OP would like to elaborate a bit more?

Or would the OP expect to see more here along the lines of "Is maith liom Torres agus ta se go an-mhaith!"

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

OP is a troll who is implying we're West Brits, im more Irish then you are OP, fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Tis fierce funny.

EH?
    Ahhhhhh, right ok..we should aw pyoor type fings oot in wur ain accents an aw 'at?

Am up fur it, but ah doubt anbdy wid git whit ah wis sayin pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Right I think it's time -

10-2.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think he probably means stuff like 'Have it', 'Get in there son', 'Well in lad', 'You're having a laugh' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I wish i was English :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I wish i was English :(

I wish you were English too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Since this was specifically posted in the Soccer forum I can only assume that the OP is talking about posters who refer to "us" or "we" when talking about English football clubs.

Which I think shows a fairly limited understanding of sports - pretty much all followers of all teams in all codes and al loations will refer to "us" when talking about the team; it refers to the bigger "family" of the club rather than the people born in a certain location.

And I would have thought that, as a country, we had outgrown that whole "west brit" chip on shoulder b*llix a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has the OP ever actually made a contribution to any of the threads around here or is this a first thead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Has posted here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has the OP ever actually made a contribution to any of the threads around here or is this a first thead?
    It's called trolling \o\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

We're forking mad fer it mate!

• Advertisement

tr.v. con·ceit·ed, con·ceit·ing, con·ceits
    1. Chiefly British To take a fancy to.
    2. Obsolete To understand; conceive.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's absolute quality Boggles. :D

DesF wrote: »
    That's absolute quality Boggles. :D

Be careful, I think he could be an evil genius! :D

Examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pointless attempt at trolling

fail.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,998 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Pointless attempt at trolling

fail.jpg

if that tyre wasn't there, that dog would look like an evil mastermind....'eeexcellent'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

They speak differently when they get into those shirts too. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

OP is right. I found my normal peaty brogue disappearing gradually throughout the tournament. By the time of the final, I was gargling jellied eels and snapping my braces like an over-enthusiastic Eastenders extra. I made some tapes for my speech therapist, of course. A brief transcript from last night shows how far my condition has deteriorated.

"Aw, poor Lahm. E's only gone and made off with the family Silva. The ref'll give im a right Ballacking. Oo's that funny-lookin' Guiza? I tell you, Frings ain't wot e used to be."

Please help me, OP. What can I do to get my oul blas back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

gogglebok wrote: »

"Aw, poor Lahm. E's only gone and made off with the family Silva. The ref'll give im a right Ballacking. Oo's that funny-lookin' Guiza? I tell you, Frings ain't wot e used to be."

Please help me, OP. What can I do to get my oul blas back?

How long did it take ya to some up with that? :D Not a bad effort!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

gucci wrote: »
    How long did it take ya to some up with that? :D Not a bad effort!!

Ten seconds. I swear.

<Darts eyes wildly to left and right. Hides football yearbook and slang dictionary.>

Earlier I tried to make a Beatles top ten with Euro 2008 players, but I couldn't see beyond Get Bak and Ujfalusi in the Sky with Diamonds.

Anyone else having a slow day at work?

Ujfalusi in the Sky with Diamonds.
    :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ten seconds. I swear.

<Darts eyes wildly to left and right. Hides football yearbook and slang dictionary.>

Earlier I tried to make a Beatles top ten with Euro 2008 players, but I couldn't see beyond Get Bak and Ujfalusi in the Sky with Diamonds.

Anyone else having a slow day at work?

Carvalho Need Is Love?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I believe Iniesta-day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

keep them up wayne, excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i actually know a couple of blokes who sing in english accents at games

wtf like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Helix wrote: »

wtf like

Know what you mean mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So do I, in fact I know loads of them. They are English of course and I go to the games with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

So do I, in fact I know loads of them. They are English of course and I go to the games with them.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hahaha

you know what i meant

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Why is this even in the soccer forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

To the op,

You know na'fink son. Now jog on geezer before I call you a muggly little cun......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

German German

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Helix wrote: »

wtf like

whats worse is when fans here sing their chants in english accents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

gustavo wrote: »
    whats worse is when fans here sing their chants in english accents
    i dont know about you lads, but anytime i watch english football i get this incredible urge to drink 24 cans of phish weak lager have a row with my best mate smash up the local kebab shop the go home and kick my wifes teeth down her neck .........does that make me english.on a serious note i dont know why people get the hump when irish people support english clubs, if your a kid and your dad supports an english team whats a kid to do start calling his dad a turncoat.dont fink so me oul china. im off ta watch the cricket lmao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think what the OP might be implying is that if you wandering on here not knowing it was an irish forum and heard people talking passionately about "my team" you'd be forgiven for thinking some posters grew up on a council estate in manchester as opposed to a three bed semi in Kildare and started to support Man Utd because Roy Keane played for them back in the day.

I enjoy soccer as a spectator sport but never really got the idea of adopting a team- sure they're all foreign to me. I just go to GAA games instead but to each their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

to each there own exactly. my son plays gaa and still loves watching the premiership some people posting here would say that makes him less of a ga player they feel that strongly about it , its crazy , if it was a ufc post or a tobbagan league in the timbuk 2 there wouldnt be half the stick flying around , the sad thing is its because its an english league and were irish, anyone with a problem watching english football needs to come out of the dark ages and start setting a good example to there kids.

Advertisement