Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game launch issues.

Options
  • 31-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

So, I've seen a few similar issues posted on the Steam forums already, but not with these exact symptoms.

Recently bought 'Wargame: European Escalation' on Steam, played it for a few minutes, then had to close it.

When I tried to launch it again about an hour later, all I got was the startup screen, and then a black page, I was still getting sound from it though.

I've had the same problem with 'Chivalry: Medieval Warfare' as well, though I'm not sure whether it's actually related or not.

I tried all of the basics, exit Steam properly, reboot, I checked Directx and the graphics drivers and they're all up to date, I tried changing the resolution settings for the game's launch on Steam but that didn't make any difference either, the specs more than match the game's requirements anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, happy New Year by the way! :)

Specs:

Intel i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz
    8GB of RAM
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Also apologies if this should be in the tech section.

UPDATE:

No longer getting sound either :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

Jaysus I posted this last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Have you tried windowed mode (if available)
    Other than that, verify integrity of came cache? delete it and reinistall it?

I can't try windowed mode unfortunately, right now I'm reinstalling it though

Hopefully this does the trick

Just finished it up there, no difference still
    I'm verifying the game cache now though

- Note that I'm being told "Game did not shut down properly the last time it was used. Do you want to load the last good configuration?"

(That's because I have to close it using the task manager)

If you choose yes, you'll be told that can't be done anyway

Finished the validation, it failed to acquire one file

Update: Presuming Steam reacquired the file, tried it again - no difference.

• Advertisement

As hopeless as this seems

- Deleted everything to do with the game as in including the backup and downloaded + installed it again

No difference still

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did you try running in compatiability mode via the exe in the steamapps folder?

I had issues running Bioshock through steam and basically tried the solutions here and got it working
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/828935361282962898/

Tried exactly that, no luck again.

Thanks for the help though, seems to be more than anybody else can offer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

did you delete the configuration files?

Update:

I have the same issues with SimCity 4 now.

Either my own PC, or the Steam client.

Is it true that Steam/Valve does not provide refunds?...

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    did you delete the configuration files?

I haven't deleted any files at all, haven't really gone near them :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

At the moment, is the game actually launching at all? Does the game process show up in task manager?

It does, I have to close the game using the task manager so

If I right-click the game's icon (In the taskbar) and click close window, then the game's opening theme will start playing .-.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wut

Advertisement