Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I thought JJ was very good in the 1st half. He did miss a few kicks, and badly, but he got the golden boot last year, we know he is a reliable kicker generally.

He scored a try, he played a part in the 2nd, he attacked the line well throughout. He did have a few poor, loose kicks but he also had a few very good ones. I would say it was a 7/10 performance overall, with the missed kicks the big negative. He really should have scored both penalties in the 2nd half.

I agree he had a good enough game bar the missed kicks but i was hoping he'd be the main man today and really put his hand up to start 10 consistently as that is what he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

JJ needs a few games at 10 to get to his best form, the same as any other player would. His performance today was probably the best we could have hoped for, a mostly solid showing with a few brilliant flashes and a couple of bad errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Hes supposedly signed a new deal with us too, ill believe it when i see an update on the Munster website though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

case885 wrote: »
    Hes supposedly signed a new deal with us too, ill believe it when i see an update on the Munster website though.

Quinlan on Sky seemed to be talking about it as if it were done already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

The more games he starts while kicking the worst his percentages will be :( himself a Keatly need to get their groin problems sorted.

Copeland was excellent , a complete display. Always looking for the offload instead of blindly carrying into contact like some others :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rumour on JJ and I stress rumour is that JJ's girlfriend is settled in or near Northampton and that he has offers from both Saints & Munster. He was offered an increased offer from Munster and supposedly has 30days to let Munster know his intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Any word on earls, can't be too far away now.

shuffol wrote: »
    Any word on earls, can't be too far away now.

Two conflicting reports of his last week:
    1. He'd be back for Zebra game
    2. Be back in early February

It would be great to see him back for our clash with Sarries and the 6Ns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

phog wrote: »
    Rumour on JJ and I stress rumour is that JJ's girlfriend is settled in or near Northampton and that he has offers from both Saints & Munster. He was offered an increased offer from Munster and supposedly has 30days to let Munster know his intentions.

Quinney saying (possibly slipping up) "its good that he's signed back up" with Munster during the sky coverage, I'd be more inclined to believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Quinney saying (possibly slipping up) "its good that he's signed back up" with Munster during the sky coverage, I'd be more inclined to believe that.

I heard that too, and assumed I had missed something. So it's still all up in the air. I thought he started off really well yesterday, but then seemed to lose confidence or something, and Keatly was really needed at 10. As someone already posted, JJ probaly needs to get more gametime at 10.

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »

I read that Sky apologised later about they saying that JJ had signed for Munster, apparently, he has yet to put pen to paper. I watched the game in BftB so missed a lot of the commentary and all of the post match analysis.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

shaka wrote: »
    The more games he starts while kicking the worst his percentages will be :( himself a Keatly need to get their groin problems sorted.

Foley is on record saying both Keatley and JJ's groin issues were rehabbed and cleared up over the summer and that JJ started preseason late on account of this. Kicking practice was most likely sidelined during this rehab, Keatley was flakey in the first few games but kicked 8 from 8 against Clermont in the back to backs.
    JJ no doubt has been getting plenty of practice in training but he's lacking practice in a pressurised match environment, this being his second match kicking since last May, with the lack of squad depth at 10 meaning he can't even be afforded gametime with the As or Bohs.

Munster's Christmas Wish List?

Some suggestions
    • Ryan to come back with a full head of steam.
    • Sherry or Varley to turn up to training next week to offer Casey some respite.
    • Cronin and Kilcoyne instantly recovering from their issues.
    • JJ to sign a new contract
    • Earls to be implanted with adamantium
    • Archer's development to accelerate beyond belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster's Christmas Wish List?

Some suggestions
    • Ryan to come back with a full head of steam.
    • Sherry or Varley to turn up to training next week to offer Casey some respite.
    • Cronin and Kilcoyne instantly recovering from their issues.
    • JJ to sign a new contract
    • Earls to be implanted with adamantium
    • Archer's development to accelerate beyond belief

I had nearly forgotten about Earls.......what is the story with him?.....sorry if this has been asked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Saw a picture of him last week lacing up the boots so it seems he is back training. I think he is to be back for the Saracens game?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vienne86 wrote: »
    I had nearly forgotten about Earls.......what is the story with him?.....sorry if this has been asked already.

Supposedly due to be on the bench against Zebre the week before the Saracens game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought JJ blew that game on Sat. He had 2 sitters he missed. Not good enough. He brings a bit of a spark - the unexpected bit of flair, but that doesn't win games.

I wonder will he ever be able to "run and control" a high level game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I thought JJ blew that game on Sat. He had 2 sitters he missed. Not good enough. He brings a bit of a spark - the unexpected bit of flair, but that doesn't win games.

I think it's very harsh to say he blew the game, plus Russell missed a couple of easy-looking kicks too so perhaps conditions weren't great.

However, the more I see of Hanrahan, the more I think that 12 is his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He needs far more starts at 10 before we can really make that call. I've had my doubts in the past, also. He's closer to Ian Madigan as a player than Jonny Sexton or ROG. He'll give you some thrilling moments but he's not going to give those subtle touches (at the moment) that are just sensible and effective plays for long periods.

I think he'll need another 25 starts at outhalf before we can start to make a good judgement on his play there.

At the moment though, there's no question as to who Munster should be starting at 10 and that has nothing to do with the weekend just past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So Stade Francais are in for JJ now. They are looking to cut Morné Steyn who has been an expensive flop (under contract until 2016) and sign someone to compete with Jules Plisson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buer wrote: »
    He needs far more starts at 10 before we can really make that call.....

The coach sees him play there all the time, and his is the only call of importance. It's not simply a case of continuing to start him either. Being picked won't guarantee improvement.

Those 2 kicks were gimmes - whatever about the opposition or conditions. Had he kicked them we'd have won.

JJ has failed to make the breakthrough. If we give him a new deal now on megabucks it has the potential to be very bad business indeed.

I'm glad i'm not Axle right now.

So Stade Francais are in for JJ now. They are looking to cut Morné Steyn who has been an expensive flop (under contract until 2016) and sign someone to compete with Jules Plisson.

Another information drop by Drury?

Had Stade seen that dross from last Sat, their chequebook would be closong with a loud clap right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyone have any idea where the mrsc tickets for Sarries are located? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

JJ is one of the best kickers in the Pro12; he won the golden boot last season FFS! Criticising him for his kicking tells more about the poster making the claims, than it does of JJ himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

JJ is one of the best kickers in the Pro12; he won the golden boot last season FFS! Criticising him for his kicking tells more about the poster making the claims, than it does of JJ himself.

Exactly you'd swear he was a robot and not susceptible to a bad day at the office every now and again. He's human.
    Most of those criticising him I'm sure we're part of the crew shouting for his inclusion a week ago. One game where he actually played well outside his kicking and they jump the other way. Mad.
    He's still in probably the top 3 most promising players in the country at the minute.

Simple fact is he failed last Saturday in every important area and we lost as a result. I'm far from certain he's the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Simple fact is he failed last Saturday in every important area and we lost as a result. I'm far from certain he's the real deal.

Everybody has bad days, I remember a match where Sexton couldn't strike the ball right and was shanking them.

I'm glad he wasn't summarily dropped and written off as a result.

As mentioned above he was the golden boot winner and had a run of games with a 100% kicking ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Riskymove wrote: »
    Everybody has bad days, I remember a match where Sexton couldn't strike the ball right and was shanking them.

I'm glad he wasn't summarily dropped and written off as a result.

As mentioned above he was the golden boot winner and had a run of games with a 100% kicking ratio

He was sold and sent abroad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Romain Poite appointed ref for the Saracens game and Pascal Gauzere for Sale. Ah well.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea where the mrsc tickets for Sarries are located? :)

All over the shop from sounds of the info released. Price 30-78 euro, lots of single seats

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement