Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting calls from 0099999999 & 0013122638267 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Getting those calls randomly for the past few days, and it seems lots of others are too

Indian accent on the other end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

My 83 year old mother has had dozens of these calls over the past few weeks. They know her name and it's the same story with the loan and money she may be due. My mother has never had a loan in her life! She's normally very placid but has come to the end of her tether with them and is now screaming at them to go away. It's not working though :mad:. I've told her to not answer any call that shows up with the 99999999 number in it. Funny thing is I live next door and got one of these calls on Sunday! I recognised the number but there was just background noise. They haven't rung me back since.

What's the best way to deal with these guys? They're just not taking no for an answer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Benji1974

Since Friday of last week I’ve had lots of missed calls from strange looking numbers on my home phone. Five missed calls on Friday and six missed calls Tuesday. Over the long weekend I only had a few calls and ignored most but out of curiosity I picked up three times. Twice the line went dead and another time, a woman with an Indian accent asked for me by name. I told her she had a wrong number and she just hung up.

I remember reading something a while back about scammers obtaining large databases of numbers and using automatic dial technology to call all the numbers repeatedly and multiple times. Their operators then intercept the outbound calls that are answered and then follow their script. That’s why it often appears that they hang up when you answer as they mightn’t have enough staff. Apparently you aren’t supposed to answer such call as the technology used will mark your number as unreachable if it remains unanswered and eventually remove you. Until they buy a new database and the exact same process starts again.

I expect there’s some sort of clandestine database industry and they rely on leaks from inside companies, like banks etc as expletive mentions in his post.

There's defenitely a link here, all of us are reporting numerous call since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

My 83 year old mother has had dozens of these calls over the past few weeks. They know her name and it's the same story with the loan and money she may be due. My mother has never had a loan in her life! She's normally very placid but has come to the end of her tether with them and is now screaming at them to go away. It's not working though :mad:. I've told her to not answer any call that shows up with the 99999999 number in it. Funny thing is I live next door and got one of these calls on Sunday! I recognised the number but there was just background noise. They haven't rung me back since.

What's the best way to deal with these guys? They're just not taking no for an answer. :(

Unfortunately that blows my theory on people having to have loans if your mother is being called and has never had a loan.

I really do wonder where they got this info. Between the lot of us, we should be able to work out what the info they have is, and whom would have it.

Someones in big trouble, anyway, for leaking this data.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

I'm also being driven bonkers lately with the number of calls I'm getting from those numbers. Also, rang eircom, they seem powerless. And then we have the con artists ringing people trying to get access to their computer, apparently some people have suffered financially as a result.
    Are these people laughing at us at this stage? Can nothing be done to put a stop to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

It does't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Joe duffy is talking about this at the minute.
    1 caller got over 25 calls in 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tararrr

I don't think these people are really after your bank, loan details, because after we don't fall for it the first time, why would they keep ringing?

I can't wait to check my mams phone bill, because I have a feeling every time you answer the phone you're being charged somehow. So I'd advise not to answer them! Though I was tempted to have a youtube video ready of someone screaming REALLY LOUDLY to play for them, but I'll restrain myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm on about 12 calls in 36 hours now from the 09999999 number. First few I answered and kept saying "yes" to every question he asked. He got pretty pissed at me quite quickly. Gonna try the Indian national anthem for the next one :D

I'm on UPC too.

I guess they've given up on the Windows virus scam and moved onto this. I've noticed they answer the phone a lot quicker now than they used to. They mustn't be using the voice detection software any more.

Just saw this now on Talk to UPC worth a read...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056794234

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ducky88

I've been getting tonnes of these calls over the past few days too, I'd say 6 or 7 today. I picked up 2 from the 09999999 and they were both just background noise, once from 0018475379793 and it was the guy going on about the PPI/loan stuff, and then one really strange one a guy with the same foreign accent saying he had seen me in Dublin and wanted my mobile number and wanted to be with me??? It really freaked me out. They also know my name! this has to stop!

• Advertisement

I had four missed calls today from numbers 501 and 99999999.

Below is all the numbers I’ve been called by since last Friday if anyone reporting this and wants to compare.

Very annoying but I’m not sure anything can be done. I’ll put the phone on silent and ignore any numbers I don’t recognise.

I’m with Smart Telecom for home phone, not UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 summer21

Didnt see this so i opened aother thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795184

have had 15 calls in 3 days, eventually forcing me to unplug phone.
    On the one call that lasted more then a minuite i told them i had never been msisold payment protection insurance.

Mostly i say nothing and they hang up , or i tell them to stop calling and they hang up before i finish sentance.

But they continue to call.
    Eventually uplugged phone.
    after plugin it back 2 call in 10 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tararrr wrote: »
    Though I was tempted to have a youtube video ready of someone screaming REALLY LOUDLY to play for them, but I'll restrain myself
    Screaming down a phone isn't particularly useful, as phones have a volume limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What is needed here is a referees whistle beside the phone and blast them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

We should have a competition to see who can troll these guys the hardest. Rickroll them, sing, talk ****e, ask about their personal life, just keep them on the line. It is costing you nothing (you get a prompt if someone calls collect)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chopsticks

All of these numbers have only been calling me the pass few weeks a few times a day. When I answered the phone the person says if you've had a loan or credit card that was paid off in full in the past 10 years, Im due a refund, yeah right. I asked whats the companies name and address. It took me about 5 times of him saying it again and again before I could make out AAfee or something like that with a address of Dublin 9. And they say that there company is regulated by some justice department. Its a Indian man talking. I challenged them and they hang up. And when you read below you'll understand why I've had my fill of this s**t.

My problem is that about two years ago I was doped into believing my laptop had problems. I let the company " Virtual Pc Doctor " log on to my laptop and show me problems, or so I thought. I was sold a better virus protection for about €150 for a year and I didn't think anything off it. I was emailed all my receipts. I didn't hear anything for a while. Then I got a call from them again saying I had more security problems and that they had to fix them so I let them fix the problems in the two house laptops. They tried to sell me a extended time. I said no. Then the calls got more frequent and I got a very bad feeling. Thats not to say I already didn't have a bad feeling. I started lossen my cool on the phone and questioning them been scammers. The three times prior that I let them have excess to the two laptops to fix the problems. I sat there and watched what they were doing. They scare you, telling you your ip address is been used by some one eles and when you see all the errors they show you when they log on to your laptop in the first place you thing to yourself holy crap. Im so sick I fell for it the first time. And I let them use my laptops. After they could't get more money out of me. A few months ago, I got more calls from the so called Virtual Pc Doctor refund department, saying I was entitled to a refund of my money back because the company is going out of business. You can only guess what I screamed down the phone to the constant phone calls again and again. I have McAfee virus protection on both laptops now. And I always check them. I can only hope that the only damage is to my pride and the €150. I hope this helps some people. These are horrible people. And theres a special little place in hell for them all. Cheers
    Im also with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The problem isn't really anything to do with who is carrying your phone services. These guys are getting your information from the telephone directory, something you filled in some where and gave your details or are just dialing random numbers.

The best solution is to just not interact with them at all (unless you're playing them and having a laugh).

Either let the phone ring out, or pick it up, do not say anything at all and just hang up again.
    If they ring again, repeat this. Even if you have to do it 10 times.

Just answer as if you're a call centre "Hello! Welcome to (make up company name) how can I help you today?"
    They'll just give up.

Or, answer the phone in Irish, French, Polish, German, Chinese or any other language you can speak.

You need to give them the impression that the line either doesn't work, is a call centre or that you don't speak English. Then they'll stop calling as it's a waste of their resources and time.

If you interact with them in English and they know you're a residential number, they'll continue calling.

Most UPC lines have free Anonymous Call Rejection

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/339/~/anonymous-call-rejection

Dial *90 to activate it or #90 to cancel it.

Basically, if a caller rings you from a blocked number, the UPC switch will play them a message along the lines of "The person you are calling does not wish to accept calls from blocked numbers. Please display your number and try your call again

If calls are coming from numbers that are displayed (even fake ones) they will not get blocked by this. It only blocks calls were the Caller ID flag is set as 'withheld'.

Eircom has no similar service.

Some people who subscribed to UPC's phone services in the NTL or Chorus days may need to call their customer service line to activate it as you could be hosted on an older switch (exchange).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My parents are getting these calls incessantly - 6 on Sunday and every day since. I started getting them Monday when a guy said he was in London near me - I'm not there - but most of them are just silent. As there are VoIP calls there is no way of blocking them. As they are outside the EU no national regulator has any jurisdiction.
    The thing that hit me is the the name on my UPC account is misspelt and that was the name that was asked for (in the phone book I don't use my name just an initial for my first name - the phone book is maintained by eircom even though I have a UPC phone). The only bill at my parents house in my dad's name is the UPC one so this would seem to be a link (my parents phone is with eircom).
    I rang the data protection commissioner and they also said they have no jurisdiction. he great advice was to speak irish to these people....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

tararrr wrote: »
    I can't wait to check my mams phone bill, because I have a feeling every time you answer the phone you're being charged somehow. So I'd advise not to answer them! /QUOTE]

I checked with eircom if we are charged for the call each time we answer it and was assured we were not. I was so relieved cos I was having fun with them playing music and inventing bank loans (apparently they've dealt successfully with the bottle bank) but was then afraid the laugh would be on me when we got the bill. So I'm breathing a sigh of relief, no divorce.

I guess this is dying down now. I only got two missed calls yesterday from 99999999 and none today. Hopefully that's the end of it.

It would be interesting to know how they get the names and numbers from. If anyone gets to the bottom of it please post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tararrr

So I stopped answering the calls altogether, and after a whole day of incessant ringing they have seemed to stop. There have been no calls the past 2 days. I know it's fun talking to them, playing the Indian National Anthem and trying to wind them up, but if you don't answer the calls they will stop!

(Fingers crossed that they don't start again :/)

Haven't answered the phone in 2 days and haven't received a call since. Either they they don't work weekends or they have stopped calling me.

Hubby working nights so phone was unplugged all day Thursday and no calls since. I wonder if they made any real money from this, enough to pay everyone in the 'call centre'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Didn't get any for the last three days ever since I explained I didn't live here any more....

razzler wrote: »
    Hubby working nights so phone was unplugged all day Thursday and no calls since. I wonder if they made any real money from this, enough to pay everyone in the 'call centre'.

Unfortunately, they do. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep doing it.

I simply will not deal with ANY telesales anymore. I don't care who it is, they get hung up on.

I can be contacted by post, by email etc. I don't really need to be dealing with some push salesperson on the phone when I'm trying to relax or work or whatever. It's very intrusive even when it's not a scam.

Same goes for door-to-door sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 doublediamond

Just been reading the threads, got a call yesterday and several today regarding a refund from ppi that I amy have paid.I hit the roof yesterday but should it happen again it won't be music that they will hear.

It's verbal spam. Unfortunately, the numbers that are displayed on your Caller ID are utter garbage as they're coming in from VoIP lines and nobody has any control over what they display.

The best approach is to just hang up on them or don't answer the calls at all if you see a weird looking Caller ID.

I thought this had all stopped. Neither me or people I know get these calls anymore. Maybe they've got a new batch of landline numbers to call. Doublediamond, be prepared for lots of calls every day for about a week, sometimes just minutes apart. Or try not answering for a day, now I remember it stopped when I had unplugged the phone for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm gonna resurrect this thread cause I came home today to discover a missed call on my landline from the 0099999999 number.

Never had it before, with UPC and ex-directory. I hope we dont start getting a lot of these calls :/

• Advertisement

I'm gonna resurrect this thread cause I came home today to discover a missed call on my landline from the 0099999999 number.

Never had it before, with UPC and ex-directory. I hope we dont start getting a lot of these calls :/

Luckily we've had a significant dry patch of getting no calls for this, or any number using the same scam. Worst we have to deal with now is some nothern ireland company ringing to try and get us to take lottery tickets for the matter hospital.

Advertisement