Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle lanes

Options
  • 07-02-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all, does anyone know if the cycle lane from groody round about up to UL main entrance is continuous? In particular I'm talking about when the cycle lane cross's over the boat house entrance just before the bus stop across from the nursing home.

I always stop there in the morning because cars usually cut in there, some of which do it very late. But there was a accident there this week, I came on it late, but I'd just like to know who has right away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

DJW11 wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know if the cycle lane from groody round about up to UL main entrance is continuous? In particular I'm talking about when the cycle lane cross's over the boat house entrance just before the bus stop across from the nursing home.

I always stop there in the morning because cars usually cut in there, some of which do it very late. But there was a accident there this week, I came on it late, but I'd just like to know who has right away?

I've no idea who has right of way tbh, I always slow down and look over my shoulder there. I came across the girl shortly after it happened but didn't stop since other people were there

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Spotted on google earth yesterday that there was a yield sign painted on the ground of the cycle path BEFORE is was resurfaced. No yield sign on it since they resurfaced it though, so not sure who's in the right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Noticed that accident myself - was it a cyclist that was struck? As a driver I would think the cyclists have right of way, although it shouldn't really be an issue if both bike and car users have a quick precautionary glance around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It's contrary to most road engineering to have a yield for a private entrance. Irrespective of the actual painting on the ground - as there's no legal framework that defines the cycle lane yield sign painting (iirc, but open to correction on that) - the onus is always on the driver to ensure that their path is clear, and they are by definition at fault if they collide with a cyclist. That road going to the sewage works plant is a private road and a private entrance, so as far as I can gather, pedestrians and cyclists have complete right of way across it.

I sometimes wonder if those that design and mark out cycle lanes have ever cycled at speed on them? Given it's fairly easy to get up to 30 or 40 kph on a bicycle on the flat or downhill, a lot of the road and cycle lane furniture is not really suitable for cycling at that kind of rate. If you want an example of a stupidly-marked cycle lane take a look at the cycle lanes on Park Road, with yields painted at *every* private entrance along there. Would certainly make me cycle on the road there as I have a right to..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

I thought that if you cycle on a road and have an accident when a cycle lane is available that your in the wrong???

Its a ridiculous situation to be honest, with no concrete info available as to who does and does not have right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

This is an issue I'll bring to student council on Tuesday. I assume Tommy will have to go to buildings and estates to find out the answer, but I'll keep ye informed

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

DJW11 wrote: »
    I thought that if you cycle on a road and have an accident when a cycle lane is available that your in the wrong???

Its a ridiculous situation to be honest, with no concrete info available as to who does and does not have right away.

There is no legal requirement to cycle in a bike lane. You are perfectly entitled to cycle on the road. As far as I am concerned the bike lanes are dangerous and poorly designed so I cycle on the road. However, many people are not comfortable on the road and would rather use a bike lane. At the back gate or the entrance to college court the danger arises.

If you cycle on the road, you have right of way and can position yourself so that cars cannot turn left across you. On the road the cyclist has the control over cars behind to prevent the situation where you are cycling on the inside of a car, or undertaking traffic. However, on the bike lane both vehicles are separated and neither takes any notice of the other until a junction is reached. This is the danger........

As to who has the right of way. The answer is the cyclist, but buildings and estates and the safety officer in UL will tell you otherwise. At the end of the day though, even if the cyclist has right of way, they still need to slow down and possibly stop to ensure it is safe to cross. Not much use lying on the ground after been hit, saying to yourself its all good "I had the right of way"!

Advertisement