Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce, family business but nothing in mother's name

Options
  • 31-01-2015 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice (any at all).

My mother wants to separate from my father (and eventually divorce) as she found out he has been having an affair.

The situation is as follows:

They are married over 30 years

2 adult children who are finished education

No mortgages/debt.

Private pension as they are self employed but it is worth very little.

The only source of income is a family business which they both work in and have done so for the past 20 years equally but which is only in my fathers name. The complicated part is that the business is also based in the family home where currently all 4 people are living. The business was profitable in the past but not really any more.

The house/business is only in my fathers name as it was inherited.

It is mainly a cash business but my father looks after all finance/accounts. My mother is only listed on one joint current account.

I'm looking on advice for what my mothers options are financially. She has never been paid a wage/ salary from the business in the full 20 years eventhough she contributes equally, she only received housekeeping money per se, for examply of 150e -200e per week to buy groceries etc.

She has no other income or savings as my father has essentially controlled all finances.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The only advice we can give you is to get a good family law solicitor. Nobody can tell you for certain what's going to happen, but I'd be surprised if your Mum was left potless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

All assets and income must be disclosed in family law proceedings. Don't be concerned your mothers name is not on anything - having everything in your name doesn't change the fact the whole picture is looked at and proper provision is made for each party. If your mother had no official income she may be entitled to legal aid. The waiting lists are huge so the sooner she makes contact with her local centre the better

Advertisement