Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why people couldn't be fucked with the League of Ireland.

What I find ridiculous is he calls me a barstooler even though I take an 8hr round trip to get to the Showgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

nummnutts wrote: »

Sligo were mid table in 2007 when Cook took over, so they weren't too shabby at the time.

Mid table is the exact time to take a punt.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why people couldn't be fucked with the League of Ireland.

No it isn't.

I along with a few others still take an interest in the EPL despite the numerous Liverpool - ManU threads on this forum. It's just yet another excuse for people that have no interest whatsoever in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

bohsman wrote: »
    No it isn't.

I along with a few others still take an interest in the EPL despite the numerous Liverpool - ManU threads on this forum. It's just yet another excuse for people that have no interest whatsoever in the first place.

It's not about having a thread, it's about the idiot vitriol that it's met with. Why would anyone casually take an interest (which could develop into a big interest) in a league full of closed shop nazis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Why would the second best team in the league right now let a completely unproven guy take over just because he played for the national team? He would be coming into a league where he would know zero players and has no background in another league to use as a scouting platform.

Hull Reserves is about right for Kevin right now, build from the bottom in a team that has no affect on anybody. You can't learn your trade at a club that represents a whole community and challenges for honours.

If that kind of thing becomes the norm, it's another nail in the coffin of LoI football. I don't mean that in anyway as a reflection on Kevin Kilbane. He could end up a great manager, but he's not a top of the table manager in any countries top division right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's not about having a thread, it's about the idiot vitriol that it's met with

Exactly.

I've had a keen interest in Irish soccer the past few years since living in Dublin as its on my doorstep, it wasn't previously. But I can't stand half the shíte that posted in here. I think I'm in the minority here!

On the other hand, there are some great replies like the below
    Draupnir wrote: »
    Why would the second best team in the league right now let a completely unproven guy take over just because he played for the national team? He would be coming into a league where he would know zero players and has no background in another league to use as a scouting platform.

Hull Reserves is about right for Kevin right now, build from the bottom in a team that has no affect on anybody. You can't learn your trade at a club that represents a whole community and challenges for honours.

If that kind of thing becomes the norm, it's another nail in the coffin of LoI football. I don't mean that in anyway as a reflection on Kevin Kilbane. He could end up a great manager, but he's not a top of the table manager in any countries top division right now.

It's not about having a thread, it's about the idiot vitriol that it's met with. Why would anyone casually take an interest (which could develop into a big interest) in a league full of closed shop nazis?

Im talking about the same idiotic **** in every single Liverpool-ManU thread including the threads that veer way off topic to go the LFC MU route. Also even on this forum there's only a small minority of LOI fans that go on that way along with the small number of anti Irish posters.

Seriously, posts on a forum wont have an affect either way in the long run. That Guy and numerous others still went to a match involving a LOI team and took interest despite posts on this forum over the years. Preconceived notions from Sky Sports and the Irish media are going to be far more damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why people couldn't be fucked with boards.ie soccer forum.

Fixed that for you! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Adrian Eames posted on his twitter last night that our Chairman has ruled him out, he doesn't have the pro license. We might get that confirmed at the open forum tonight.

As has been said, this isn't a time where we can take a chance on an untested manager. We have in the past with Cook, Sanchez and Cotterill and they all worked out, but those teams weren't title contenders. I'd like Martin Russell but I don't see him leaving UCD.

Would all depend on what he was offered and promised. He has done a brilliant job for us, and could stay as long as he likes - but the two challenges are on completely different ends of the spectrum, and he may want to try out competing at the other end of the table where the focus is on winning rather than player development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sligo were mid table in 2007 when Cook took over, so they weren't too shabby at the time.

Completely shabby compared to what they are now.

Do carry on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well if peoplevactually go to a match or two they would realise its not like that at all. I wouldve agreed with you 2 years ago, then couldnt care what people on the internet say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

stovelid wrote: »
    Completely shabby compared to what they are now.

Do carry on though.

If I remember correctly, our manager at the time was Rob McDonald. He walked out a few days before our first league game and he was only at the club for about 40 days! If there was ever a time to take a chance it was then. Choice Aisien was one of our starting strikers back then, so we weren't good!

Im talking about the same idiotic **** in every single Liverpool-ManU thread including the threads that veer way off topic to go the LFC MU route. Also even on this forum there's only a small minority of LOI fans that go on that way along with the small number of anti Irish posters.

Exactly.

Widespread mongo posting and vitrioil doesn't exactly dampen the popularity of United and Liverpool, does it.

Exactly.

Widespread mongo posting and vitrioil doesn't exactly dampen the popularity of United and Liverpool, does it.

Apples and oranges tbh

Exactly.

Would you (a) consider your comments to be on a par with this level of posting and worth reading?

Would you (b) consider the general attitude of most fans of LOI to have the same as the one you portray here and in other threads?

And (c) would you consider the general attitude of most EPL fans to have the same as the ones you refer to with your "mongo posting and vitriol" remark?

Genuine questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can't believe people on here think people don't go to LoI games because of whats posted on an Internet forum

gustavo wrote: »
    Can't believe people on here think people don't go to LoI games because of whats posted on an Internet forum

They don't. I think the point they are trying to get across is that the attitude that is displayed in posts on the internet is for all to see in the real world also.

I can't believe people actually think people think people don't go to LOI games because of whats on the net. People come on!!!

Trilla wrote: »
    They don't. I think the point they are trying to get across is that the attitude that is displayed in posts on the internet is for all to see in the real world also.

I can't believe people actually think people think people don't go to LOI games because of whats on the net. People come on!!!

Ridiculous opinions will be ridiculed throughout the internet. If I put up a thread saying that Raul should take over from Fergie as player manager I would be ridiculed as would anyone that agreed with me.

Ridiculous opinions will be ridiculed throughout the internet. If I put up a thread saying that Raul should take over from Fergie as player manager I would be ridiculed as would anyone that agreed with me.

Again I agree but its how this ridiculing is put across. It doesn't take long for most of these threads to be turned into a LOI vs ROTW debate, and a fúcking shít one at that.

Who wants to read this barstooler, patronizing "you don't know our league" "you haven't a clue" bullshít over and over again?

Who wants to read this barstooler, patronizing "you don't know our league" "you haven't a clue" bullshít over and over again?

Also don't really want the patronising other side of it being told by people who have no idea of how much better the league would be if some former pro on the mainland with minimal experience took over as a player manager. Obviously if there is something behind that opinion like saying he has his coaching badges, has been phenomenal with the reserves, took Accrington Stanley to the CL final in Football Manager then fair enough but most of it is because zomg he used to play on Sky Sports in the Best League In The World, he could beat the Irish League on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

IF...IF he did get the job, I wouldn't want him on the pitch unless there was an injury crisis. Name yourself on the bench if you want in case there's an injury in a match but I want our manager in the dugout. Not a fan of player/manager stuff. Don't care if he is Championship/League 1 quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

be cool but he knows nothing of the league, mayb if he could get a few good players in that he knows then be good for sligo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm still holding out for Foster to get it if he's around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cant understand some of the comments here.What would people say if Roy Keane put his name in for the job?,bad record,anger issues,no experience of the league right now.Just wondering.

Look at the plus side,Kilbane is a pleasant personality,a grafter if he had to play,would generally give everyone a lift,would get a few more fans to go along,could get a few high profile players on loan if needed.

Also some saying this is Sligos chance to win the league.Cork City,Derry City,Shamrock Rovers,Shels etc all have the same chance.

I think Roy Keane would be just as bad an appointment if not worse if that helps. Sligo should finish a distant 2nd to Rovers but well ahead of Cork, Derry and Shels.

Gareth Farrelly promised us that he would use all his contacts to get players in, besides some woeful LOI based players the only one that came over was the slightly above average Paul Devlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Are you actually taking the piss? This is why? So if we were all lovely, placid and were less opinionated on the internet, we would all be hitting higher attendances yeah? Bull****.

People don't avoid our national league because of people on the internet, they do it because they aren't arsed with anything that isn't packaged as the best, and for the most part, they aren't interested in regular live football, although some are.

It is clear you've made an attempt to rack up some barstooler thanks, and ensure a few nominations for the Boardsies next year, but you are so far off the mark with this statement it is unbelievable.

Exactly.

Would you (a) consider your comments to be on a par with this level of posting and worth reading?

Would you (b) consider the general attitude of most fans of LOI to have the same as the one you portray here and in other threads?

And (c) would you consider the general attitude of most EPL fans to have the same as the ones you refer to with your "mongo posting and vitriol" remark?

Genuine questions.

I don't really care how my comments are picked up as I think mine or anybody elses comments on the matter will have about as much genuine effect on LOI attendance as praying to Jesus.

I think I'm a reasonable enough poster all round but I dont see why innocuous enough comments that don't breach the charter and would be probably viewed as banter elsewhere in this forum are that much to worry about.

I think Roy Keane would be just as bad an appointment if not worse if that helps. Sligo should finish a distant 2nd to Rovers but well ahead of Cork, Derry and Shels.

Gareth Farrelly promised us that he would use all his contacts to get players in, besides some woeful LOI based players the only one that came over was the slightly above average Paul Devlin.

Keane would at least have experience but its a big ask. Can't see why people are saying Rovers will walk the league tbh. Narrow favourites maybe.

Keane would at least have experience but its a big ask. Can't see why people are saying Rovers will walk the league tbh. Narrow favourites maybe.
    I don't really rate anyone else that highly. Someone else may put a long run of form together and become challengers, but I can't see anyone else matching Rovers over 33 games. The rest of us all have too many weaknesses in our first 11 or in our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a Bit O'Red fan, Cook leaving was a big shock. I certainly thought he would stayed on for one more season. The platform is now very good to drive on for the League. So him leaving when he did, is the last thing that was needed. Replacing him will be very difficult but one thing is for certain, Kevin Kilbane can stay well clear of the job. Because he just hasn't the experience or qualifications for the post. The last thing we need is to throw away a great opportunity by gambling on a unproven risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As a Bit O'Red fan, Cook leaving was a big shock. I certainly thought he would stayed on for one more season. The platform is now very good to drive on for the League. So him leaving when he did, is the last thing that was needed. Replacing him will be very difficult but one thing is for certain, Kevin Kilbane can stay well clear of the job. Because he just hasn't the experience or qualifications for the post. The last thing we need is to throw away a great opportunity by gambling on a unproven risk.

So in a nutshell,let Kilbane gain experience with a league 2 club,get them relegated to the Blue Square league and ye might consider.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd rather an inexperienced manager than the like of Roddy Collins anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'd rather an inexperienced manager than the like of Roddy Collins anyways..

How bad would the appointment have to be to have preferred Roderick? :pac:

dfx- wrote: »
    How bad would the appointment have to be to have preferred Roderick? :pac:
    Good point. Can't think of many I wouldn't take before Roddy.

CSF wrote: »
    Are you actually taking the piss? This is why? So if we were all lovely, placid and were less opinionated on the internet, we would all be hitting higher attendances yeah? Bull****.

If you had a more welcoming attitude in general then yes, it would help.

And it's not about being opinionated, it's about the delivery of those opinions. Telling people to fuck off, like Des did for example, is ott bullshit from the seat of a very high horse.

Tell me why that's necessary.
    People don't avoid our national league because of people on the internet, they do it because they aren't arsed with anything that isn't packaged as the best, and for the most part, they aren't interested in regular live football, although some are.

And those that have a passive interest are met with arsehole comments.

You say it's only the internet yada yada yada, but it's still an attempt by 'outsiders' to engage with LoI fans. The attitidue of the LoI fans in general on this forum and others is, as I said already, one of a closed shop and it's on display again here. That does transcend into real life as well
    It is clear you've made an attempt to rack up some barstooler thanks, and ensure a few nominations for the Boardsies next year, but you are so far off the mark with this statement it is unbelievable.

And with one snide dig you've just proved that I'm actually not far off the mark at all.

But yes, vote me number 1. That's what it's all about :rolleyes:
    CiaranC wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

citizenkane.gif

Don't ask me why Des found it necessary to tell someone to **** off. Ask him yourself. For the record, I don't think Des telling someone to **** off is going to have any impact on attendances anywhere, but allow him to explain his own reasoning behind the necessity.

You did however quote me in there, referring to how there was no need for this to be a thread of its own, as we have a specific thread for this kind of thing, and some washed up Irish international being linked with a job he won't get, does not come high in the list of LOI news over the off-season. Please inform me how me saying this is going to hurt LOI attendances.

As for the arsehole comments you refer to, I've never seen someone with a genuine, if merely passive interest get such, no moreso than in any other thread where everyone disagrees with each other. People with an interest in Kevin Kilbane who decide to come in and tell us what is good for us, they may get arsehole comments. Not from me, I didn't have a go at anyone, other than you, in retaliation. You'll have to ask them their motivation.

As for the barstooler remark, if people get that offended by that, given what I hear the EPL fans call each other for having arbitrarily picked another club, if people get so upset and turned off over this, I can't see football in general being the sport for them for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pathetic strawman argument right there.

I'm pretty sure your coming in here and telling us how great it would be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international come manage in our league would be is equally ridiculous, if not as far as offensive.

• Advertisement

By the sounds of tonight, Kevin is the least of their worries.

I'm pretty sure your coming in here and telling us how great it would be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international come manage in our league would be is equally ridiculous, if not as far as offensive.
    Get over yourself. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club that seemingly have not been able to compete with a League 2 side to keep their manager. Scores of much bigger teams have went with unproven managers and it has worked out.

Well Kilbane won't be our manager. Thats about all we learned at the fans forum tonight. The rest was mostly hysteria and bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My moneys on Damien Richardson, unfortunately.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Well Kilbane won't be our manager. Thats about all we learned at the fans forum tonight. The rest was mostly hysteria and bullsh1t.
    If that's confirmed, then I suggest that this topic is locked as it'll go nowhere.

My moneys on Damien Richardson, unfortunately.
    Again I'd rather Kilbane. My moneys on the Egil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

If that's confirmed, then I suggest that this topic is locked as it'll go nowhere.

We confirmed it this morning before this thread was even created.

Get over yourself. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club that seemingly have not been able to compete with a League 2 side to keep their manager. Scores of much bigger teams have went with unproven managers and it has worked out.
    Again, keep the condescending nature of your posts coming. This is Sligo Rovers we're talking about, a club who as you can see have overlooked the almighty ex-Irish international Kevin Kilbane.

For the record, I never said it wouldn't/couldn't work out, I took issue with the idea that Sligo should be so privileged to have an ex-Irish international enter the Showgrounds.

I took issue with the idea that Sligo should be so privileged to have an ex-Irish international enter the Showgrounds.
    Can you please direct me to the bit where anyone said that Sligo Rovers should be "privileged" to have an Irish international on their books?

Can you please direct me to the bit where anyone said that Sligo Rovers should be "privileged" to have an Irish international on their books?
    I never used a direct quote so why are you? You've come in and said how great it would it be for the LOI to have an ex-Irish international in its ranks, and then when challenged on it, you've taken a condescending swipe at the club in question.

maybe we should just leave it...because all these threads turn into LOI vs ROTW and to be honest the majority of people are fúcked up of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement