Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diy divorce - belfast??

• 08-02-2015 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I was planning to do DIY route for uncontested divorce (no kids, house, 4 years etc). Just found out ex moved to Belfast aprx 6mths ago- can I still go down this route & send to his north address to sign or is it a whole different ball game? Has anyone done it? We both want it complete as quickly as possible? Apparently you need to be resident 2 years in Belfast to apply there; I really don't want to wait any longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Resident in Belfast (i.e. the UK) has got to be better than sticking out the four years here, I would think. Divorce in the UK is far easier. Looks as though you'll have to wait, either way...

Get him to start the ball rolling in the North. I'd say it'll be a lot quicker that way. Get a solicitor in the North to advise you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Just to be clear how long are you both separated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bettybeagle

Thanks for coming back to me.

We are separated the 4 years that's why I want to start things moving. There can be contact but id prefer to keep in minimal. They moved up last Sep- I think. was just wondering if you can still do diy divorce & post to belfast address; do they just get longer to respond? Or is it a longer more complicated route; has anyone done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Thanks for coming back to me.

We are separated the 4 years that's why I want to start things moving. There can be contact but id prefer to keep in minimal. They moved up last Sep- I think. was just wondering if you can still do diy divorce & post to belfast address; do they just get longer to respond? Or is it a longer more complicated route; has anyone done it?

Firstly you have no idea if the divorce terms you seek will be contested - it appears at this stage they won't and hopefully things will remain that way. My understanding is that you can bring divorce proceedings against someone who is non resident in the state as long as you satisfy the court that you made every effort to contact the other party. If they choose not to appear despite this the judge will go ahead regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes you can - My ex lives outside Europe so it could be slightly different but if not:

You need to apply to the court to serve the papers abroad - ex parte document. The papers all need to be sent registered post and then an 'affadvit of service' needs to be signed by a Solicitor or Notary public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bettybeagle

Thanks Dovies & Desbrook. I rang the court , she mentioned ex parte document but I didnt know what it was. She is sending me out the pack.
    Hopefully it all goes to plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks Dovies & Desbrook. I rang the court , she mentioned ex parte document but I didnt know what it was. She is sending me out the pack.
    Hopefully it all goes to plan!

Make sure you get the Affadavit of Service done - the Court need it as proof that you send the documents. I didn't do it as my ex gave me back the signed forms and I submitted them to the Court. I still need the Affadavit - so had to go back and get it done which caused more delay! :(

Advertisement