Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cooley Thriller XC 2014

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

Anyone here signed up for the above XC ?, looking to make my XC debut at same and looking for advice, tips, etc

Link to route below from 2009 (don't think it has changed..but am open to correction)

http://connect.garmin.com/player/12618682

Thanks in advance
    Cam:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do some 4 hour MTB spins.
    Get your bike fully serviced, replace tyres, chains etc as required.
    Bring plenty of food and water, though there are drop points for bottles etc.
    Bring spares, tubes, multi tools, chain links.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I did this a couple of years back, its a long enough slog, and if you are slow then the ground can get really slompy if its wet due to the number of people who have already ridden the same path. That aside it's an excellent well run event, tough to boot, would highly recommend.

Was up there a few weeks ago, the ground is perfect due to the dry weather in the last month or so..
    Though if it rains from now until the 16th it could get schlompy in places..

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

It's a great race run by a great club.
    Definitely do it. Heed the advice above re: service for bike, bring food & bottles etc...

Be able for 4-5hrs solid on trails!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Thanks all for the advice,...the technical single track shouldn't be an issue (just back from a week of it in Portugal):)...its the hills that will put manners on me !!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

camroc76 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice,...the technical single track shouldn't be an issue (just back from a week of it in Portugal):)...its the hills that will put manners on me !!.

What section should a average A3 road rider who had never entered a xc event do? I started mtb a few months ago, I have had a handful of spins and think I am pretty crap.

What section should a average A3 road rider who had never entered a xc event do? I started mtb a few months ago, I have had a handful of spins and think I am pretty crap.

I presume you mean what time?

There's a good bit of open trails and road/fireroad..

Anywhere from 3.5hrs to 5hours is normal.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I presume you mean what time?

There's a good bit of open trails and road/fireroad..

Anywhere from 3.5hrs to 5hours is normal.

Thanks for getting back to me, No I mean what category to enter.
    I am 39 so when I register do I go for masters or sport male when I register?
    I assume Sport male is for those new to the XC is that correct?

Thank for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Enter as Masters. It's not like an XC race where everyone is on a different number of laps.

Enduro wrote: »
    Enter as Masters. It's not like an XC race where everyone is on a different number of laps.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Sports would be pretty much the same as an average "A4" on the road..

Masters category would be more like an average to top "A3" cat, most of those in that cat would have been racing all year etc..

Sports would be pretty much the same as an average "A4" on the road..

Masters category would be more like an average to top "A3" cat, most of those in that cat would have been racing all year etc..

So I can ride sports if I want?

So I can ride sports if I want?

Sport 50km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Was up there a few weeks ago, the ground is perfect due to the dry weather in the last month or so..
    Though if it rains from now until the 16th it could get schlompy in places..

Watch out for the photographer at the mega schlompy bits,he/she got some right cracking shots over the last couple of years . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PeterMTB

Anyone going from D15 or area nearby?
    I am rather going, we could do car pooling to lower the costs...

Thanks,
    Peter

PS: I have a lift and one place available. Interested, pm me

Advertisement