Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Antenatal class

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I rang Holles st to book me and my husband in for antenatal classes this week to be told that the evening couples classes are fully booked. I could go to classes on my own, but the only reason I want to go to classes is so that my husband can go - I feel its equally important for him to have some idea of what to expect in labour and the options available to me when I'm in pain and probably going to be a bit irrational!

So anyway, we were thinking of going to a private antenatal class. I know some midwives run them in hotels once a month or so, but has anyone ever been to one or know of anyone who has? Any recommendations?

We'd be looking to go to one in the Wicklow/South Dublin area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No recommendations but a lot of women on rollercoaster.ie do private classes and they only speak highly of them. Maybe have a look over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

We are going to a private antenatal class on saturday in Clontarf castle, I will let you know how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

My wife and I went with Hazel Cazzini in Stillorgan Park Hotel (www.antenatalclasses.ie)

We found her excelent, very professional, very clear, I can't reccomend her enough. I would deffinitely reccomend the father to go along.

Its €200 for the couple but deffinitely worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

we did one yesterday in Portmarnock, it was excellent and very informative. Two girls run it, Anita Barry & Jacinta (can't remember her surname). It was €160 for the two of us.

Edit: Actually it was €150

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

We had our class on Saturday, run by Susan Nicholls. www.2as1.ie
    It was a great day, very full, she covers a huge ammount of post natal stuff, a lot more then the other classes as far as I can tell. There was a huge ammount of info covered, and we both found it very helpfull.
    As a new mum to be and a paediatric nurse, I thought it was an excellent day.
    It cost 190 euro per couple, but as she is a registered midwife, your health insurance will give you some money back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MammaTina

My friend attended a class in The Clarion a few months back and said it was great. The midwife still works in the Coombe so she was right up to date on everything and had loads of equipment to show the parents. The group was small (5 couples) and they all got to ask questions and so on. The website was antenatal-class.ie but she said be careful as there are other antenatal classes in the same hotel but they were packed out (about 100 people) so don't book the wrong class. The midwife was Grainne and she was lovely.
    Hope this helps! Gone past that stage myself now - I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I'm way past it now too but thanks all the same!

We didn't bother in the end. I'm a midwife myself so I just filled him in and gave him strict instructions not to talk to me unless I talk to him first! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MammaTina

Good for you! As long as your hubby follows you instructions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TaraMcG

we did a fantastic antenatal class yesterday with Cuidiu. I feel really empowered after it....bring it on!!! Anyway you get lots of information but it isn't shoved down your throat, it is just really practical stuff. I was feeling a bit apprehensive lately and my husband was just in denial :) Anyway after the course I definitly feel that I can do this..

Anyway their details are here:http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=9. They do classes northside and southside and I heard one of the girls ask about private classes as well.

Good luck with it

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

We did a private one day course at the Stillorglin park hotel 4 yrs ago, and I did not find it any use at all. There was too much to cover on the day, i felt, and for 150euros I thought their equipment was lacking, their info packs a joke and we had to but our own lunch from an awful buffet. So I would shop around if i were you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement