Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N6 - Athlone, Garrycastle Bridge works to finally start in three months

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I expect that the traffic will be switched to the new bridge with single line working by the shop while road is built. The old bridge will never reopen, it'll be pedestrian only.

Do we know this for a fact? How would that be policed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Do we know this for a fact? How would that be policed?

According to the plans linked upthread, the bridge will be open to all traffic, but the Spar will be at the end of a cul-de-sac, that road will not be accessible from the roundabout beside the shop on the Western end.

Used it for the first time this week.

Spar shop cul de sacs an ok idea as it allows more flow of traffic.

Bad thing though: Traffic priorities have not been updated to suit this. You still have to yield to traffic coming from Spar if your going Schools towards college.

I guess this will come in time but for now its confusing and may cause an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd prefer it if the access to the Spar was from the Garrycastle side and the bridge closed to vehicle traffic. If priority was changed then pulling out of the bridge onto the road would be quite dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

Anyone have pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

flazio wrote: »
    I'd prefer it if the access to the Spar was from the Garrycastle side

The SPAR have opened a new carpark at the rear of the shop on the Garrycastle side. I'd say traffic to the front door over the old bridge will be near zero in time.

I'd agree that they should close it to vehicular traffic.

The SPAR have opened a new carpark at the rear of the shop on the Garrycastle side. I'd say traffic to the front door over the old bridge will be near zero in time.

I'd agree that they should close it to vehicular traffic.
    That is probably the long term plan.

Anyone got any opinion of the new bridge?

IMO they've made a balls of it. Between the pre-existing traffic lights that nobody wanted and the sluggish roundabouts, its pretty p1ss poor and doesn't do anything really to speed up the average journey.

Why the road couldn't have been straighter too is beyond me. Why did they need to make a roundabout when they could have just gone through the land that the old abandoned house was.

I agree the old bridge should be closed to traffic. Spar is grand for deliveries on the back side (which is also convenient to said trucks for the M6).

Advertisement