Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones for separate TV volume?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of you might have come across any wireless headphones which enable the wearer to adjust the volume without adjusting the volume of the television?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

or even a headset which allows one viewer to watch at their own (loud) volume, while not knocking off the sound altogether from the tv - so that another person can watch it at normal volume.

Might be a thread more suited to Hearing & Deafness?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I did not realise there was such a forum! Many thanks.

And aye, such a headset is what we'd be after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I don't know if such a thing exists but genius idea.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

It depends on the TV but it is possible.

It does exist and my headphones and TV do all of that.

It is a gaming headset but you can detach the mic and use them as high quality standard headphones. They are turtle beach X42 headphones.

It is wireless, takes an optical input, has volume on the headphones themselves and has a closed back to block outside sound. You can use them at a decent level and somebody else in the room won't hear them. The volume on the TV works as normal so you can lower it down all the way or have it at one level while the headphones are louder for the hard of hearing.

They are Dolby surround sound also. Available in Argos.

By the way:
    If the TV does not have an optical output then you can still use the audio out phono ports on the TV with a headphone male to phono cable. If the TV only has a headphone output then that usually overrides the volume on most tvs but it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I used an ordinary bog-standard set of headphones the other night. Plugged them into the TV in my parent's house (no idea of make / model of TV) and the sound did not disappear from the TV itself.

To adjust the volume on the headphones you use the TV menu > settings > volume > headphone volume.

It's possible most modern TV sets have this feature now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

https://www.deafhear.ie/DeafHear/home.html

great place for hard of hearers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I've a pair of these connected to the telly, they work great and there's a volume control on the LH speaker. I've no hearing problems, so I use them instead of the 2.1 speakers to watch stuff at night without waking the missus, but instead of swapping the two jacks you could put an audio splitter into the TV socket and run both. On my old set, it does kill the sound to the TV's inbuilt speaker (which is dreadful anyway), but that may not be the case with yours — test first by simply plugging in an ordinary set of ear/headphones....

The same headphones are £27 on Amazon, so I'd recommend buying from eBuyer and using ParcelMotel to forward them to the Republic for an extra €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Henry JoY

I use wireless headphones as I have hearing challenges.
    Most TV's will disconnect the internal speakers if you use the headphone jack socket.
    If you want to use headphones and let others listen at their preferred volume you can connect your headphones via the audio out ports either on the TV, or the digi box if you use one, or on the DVD player either. These ports are colour coded, one red and one white. You will need a 'Y' device (one came with the last wireless headphone set) that connects to these ports and ends in a single female socket that will take the headphones male jack plug.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Socket-Phono-Plugs/dp/B0009N1MV4/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid

Advertisement