Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manual breast pumps

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

can you ladies express your opinions about breast pumps you are using. Im interested in the manual breast pumps the most.
    I know I would not recommend mebby brand as a electric pump. I've got loads of milk yet this pump doesnt express much of it. with my fingers I can do more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I have the Avent electric pump and its useless too! My friend has the Medula electric one and finds it great, its the same brand as they use in the hospital.

I only wouked out the art of hand expressing when I was giving up breastfeeding and had to relieve the pressure, but I think if I were to breastfeed again I would stick to hand expressing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Found the avent manual one terrible and the medala electric one really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Splashed out on a medela pump in style. Works brilliantly but very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

anyone used tommy t. manual pump?

would medela manual breast pump be any good?

gees, its just so flustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Grawns wrote: »
    Splashed out on a medela pump in style. Works brilliantly but very expensive.

I think I'll defo look into that one the next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

ani_mal wrote: »
    anyone used tommy t. manual pump?

would medela manual breast pump be any good?

gees, its just so flustrating :(

There's some good reviews for it on amazon. They use the electric medela in the hospitals here so they probably make good quality hand pumps too. Tres exhausting though but I'm lazy and so wouldn't like a hand pump :). Perhaps try and get a 2nd hand pump in style cause you can buy all the replecement parts for it if you're worried about hygiene.

I probably didn't need the top of the range pump but was uber prepared to breastfeed and it certainly was great. I mostly pumped and dumped though as I never went anywhere without the baba but I was always prepared and had some in the fridge and freezer. Also pumping helped me to avoid mastitis as I could give the odd sore breast a break from the baby and still keep up my supply. Essentially if you're going to express a lot it's invaluable but if not sure give the medela hand pump a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Found the avent manual one terrible and the medala electric one really good.

Found the exact opposite! found the medala one left me sore, but loved the avent one so easy.
    Anyone i have discussed this with has expressed a preference for manual over electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I have a really cheap handpump from Asda that I used a few times. It was grand, but slow and my hand got tired. Once I knew that I was able to pump, I invested in the Medela Swing, which is great. I brought it with me when I was away from the wee buck and it's small enough to pop in the bag. It's expensive but I wouldn't be without it.

well, I made my decision and ordered manual medela BP from amazon. I shall express my opinion sometime next week.

thanks ladies for the outcome. nice to know what are other opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

ani_mal wrote: »
    well, I made my decision and ordered manual medela BP from amazon. I shall express my opinion sometime next week.

thanks ladies for the outcome. nice to know what are other opinions.

:D

• Advertisement

I know :) lack of sleep and zombie life :) small one loves night times from 2-5am and doesn't want to sleep much. on the breast most of this time or just looking around and making sure we wont sleep :)

ok, I got medela manual breast pump and I have to say it's brilliant!!!
    Im very pleased with the results and the way it works. I regreat I didn't get electric one, but the price puts me off, and I don't want to use second hand one.

medela is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

can u rent the expensive ones from Medicare ?

Myself I wouldn't not rent breast pump as its very personal item. I know you can buy spare parts but they are very expensive.
    I recommend medela-Im VERY happy with it

Advertisement