Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gowri Mothas Gentle Birth Method

Options
  • 15-09-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

Got a copy of this book at the weekend and considering following it. Just wondering if anyone else is or has done and if so, did it help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

good luck! I hope you have deep pockets because the range of treatments involved would be very expensive.
    I read this on first pg 5 yrs ago, and enjoyed it, it is a bit out there, but i did stay off the dairy for most of the pg, and i did use some recipes, could not stay off the sugar and could not follow the weekly rounds of alexandar techniques, refexology, and cant remember the rest. but i did have fortnightly acupuncture and do yoga. I did not gain a lot of weight, but i don't any way when pg.
    good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi Lynski

Thanks for that. I was thinking that with all the treatments but reckon I would just get the reflexology once a month. Im going to follow the tissue programme, diet (within reason), yoga and the self hypnosis. Ive already piled on a stone in the first three months - only thing I wanted/needed was buttered toast to get through the nausea!! So a healthy eating plan would be beneficial im sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I read it as well and came up with my own version. I did pregnancy yoga, continued with swimming and walking, got Tracy Donegan's hypnobirthing CDs which were excellent, made hubbie give me a backrub every night, got the occasional head massage, and ate healthily as I craved fruit for the whole nine months, went off meat until near the end and felt sick at the thoughts of chocolate - shame it didn't last! It definitely all helped keep the stress levels down, as when I started out I was terrified at the thought of the birth but I really welcomed it by the time it came around. If I could have afforded it, I would have done reflexology as well, and maybe more yoga or pilates as the muscle preparation was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Yes I did!! Never read her book but I used her audio tape and found it reallly great. I arrived at the hosp 10cms dilated (on first baby!), he was born within 40 mins of arrival at hospital, no painrelief, WONDERFUL birth.

So yes, I highly recommend it!! :-)

Best of luck!! xxx

fannymagee wrote: »
    Yes I did!! Never read her book but I used her audio tape and found it reallly great. I arrived at the hosp 10cms dilated (on first baby!), he was born within 40 mins of arrival at hospital, no painrelief, WONDERFUL birth.

So yes, I highly recommend it!! :-)

Best of luck!! xxx

WOW!!! Thats the kinda stuff I like to hear :D
    Did you just follow the cd or her full plan - dietery recommendations, treatments, supplements etc?

• Advertisement

I read it as well and came up with my own version. I did pregnancy yoga, continued with swimming and walking, got Tracy Donegan's hypnobirthing CDs which were excellent, made hubbie give me a backrub every night, got the occasional head massage, and ate healthily as I craved fruit for the whole nine months, went off meat until near the end and felt sick at the thoughts of chocolate - shame it didn't last! It definitely all helped keep the stress levels down, as when I started out I was terrified at the thought of the birth but I really welcomed it by the time it came around. If I could have afforded it, I would have done reflexology as well, and maybe more yoga or pilates as the muscle preparation was excellent.

And how did you get on?
    Im stuck between buying Gowris cd or Tracys. Want to buy them soon to start listening to at night as im nearly 14 weeks ;)

Just the CD, and I didn't start it until pretty close to the birth, maybe from 36ish weeks? I listened to it most nights as I fell asleep (her voice is very soothing), and when I thought I might be starting to feel contractions (around 1.30am- on his due date!!) I listened to it and tried to snooze through (which was managable because I was conditioned to letting the cd put me to sleep!) I put the tens machine on when the contractions started getting stronger at around 4.30am(oops- technically thats pain relief :-)), got to hosp just after 8am and baby was born at 0855. 14 weeks might be a bit early for the cd- you don't want to get completey bored of it by 40 weeks! Maybe follow the other stuff as it suits you and save the CD for your third trimester? Don't kill yourself following plans, pick the bits that fit your life and enjoy them Also, raspberry leaf tea is very good towards the end. Enjoy!! :-) xxx

I used Tracy Donegans cds from about 36 wks last time, I was in labor all day, but manageable, able to go shoping and cook dinner etc.
    Had some acupuncture at 4pm, had a show at 6pm, relaxed, rested and about 10pm decided, because of weather and distance to head for hospital, got pizza for hubbie on the way, checked in at 11:30. Sent to ward at 12 because i was not dilated enough. Put on my cds and was admitted to delivery suite at 2am in full labor, able to deal with it the whole way through and delivered my daughter at 6:30am
    Started the cds again this week, 19 wks, and was dismayed to find it damaged, but will persevere because it would be so worth it to have another VBAC. I have no fear of birth this time though.
    Good luck which ever way you go.

lynski wrote: »
    I used Tracy Donegans cds from about 36 wks last time, I was in labor all day, but manageable, able to go shoping and cook dinner etc.
    Had some acupuncture at 4pm, had a show at 6pm, relaxed, rested and about 10pm decided, because of weather and distance to head for hospital, got pizza for hubbie on the way, checked in at 11:30. Sent to ward at 12 because i was not dilated enough. Put on my cds and was admitted to delivery suite at 2am in full labor, able to deal with it the whole way through and delivered my daughter at 6:30am
    Started the cds again this week, 19 wks, and was dismayed to find it damaged, but will persevere because it would be so worth it to have another VBAC. I have no fear of birth this time though.
    Good luck which ever way you go.

Thats just amazing! Im really scared of childbirth but the more of the book I read and these kind of stories I hear I feel better for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Ladies, what are the CDs actually like? In my head I hear "hypnotherapy" and I just think of this old episode of Friends where Chandler tries to quit smoking! "You are a strong confident woman... you do not need to smoke..." :D:D

I think if I had to listen to something like that every night I'd break my iPod in frustration!

I did some searching on YouTube and all the hypnobirthing stuff I could find was American and (to my ears anyway) REALLY annoying.

So what are they actually like? Is it all "You do not need to be afraid of childbirth"? I'm just not sure if it would suit my personality at all - I think I'd find that annoying and to be honest, while I'm hardly looking forward to labour, I wouldn't really describe myself as "scared" at all.

• Advertisement

Haha!:D Well if you're not into it you're not into it, that's just the way it is!! Yes it's a little bit along the lines of the friends tape (that's what hypnotherapy is!), but it has nice backround music and she has a very soft indian accent. It's all about relaxing and trusting in your body to give birth with confidence. If you like yoga you might like it. If not, well then maybe give it a miss. Personally, I never 'got' yoga/relaxation/meditation till my late pregnancy (when I was stressed out of my tiny mind!) Now I really enjoy it every now and then. Don't overthink it, and good luck!! :):-)

i always smile when someone asks this.. i dont know!! i only know what the first 5/6 minutes sounds like because i fell asleep every single time i heard it, even in labor and even now when i say in my head 'Hello, my name is Tracy Donegan' i start to relax!.
    hehehe
    Having said that i did listen to the affirmations section on its own too, and used to repeat them in the car or sometimes when i was doing the ironing or whatever. and you do feel like a right tit at the start, but after awhile it starts to get in and you start to believe.

Advertisement