Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia 2015 - Stage 20: Saint Vincent - Sestriere **unmasked spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

MPFG wrote: »
    Hesjedal , Uran , Stevie K and others have no team mates with them in the mountains

At no stage have they been involved in the overall GC fight for first where they might lose out on winning cos of a lack of a teammate. They just lose a place or two in the top 10 at worst. Even if it doesn't cost him at any stage, just the accumulated stress of being alone against Astana is something any rider could surely do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Absolute fail from Astana...why would he wait for Aru? He should have pushed hard for the sake of the Giro...he must be feeling it a little bit now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

He'll catch them and go on and win the stage in epic fashion :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Come on Hesjedal!
    He deserves a stage win from this Giro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Real pity having to see Landa wait for Aru but made sense for Astana.

Come on Uran do something

oconnpad wrote: »
    seems that way alright, he'd bug the f*ck out of you just hanging there

Twould annoy the hell out of me I'd imagine all right

I hope Kruiswijk or Hesjedal get the stage. Crisis looks over for Contador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    At no stage have they been involved in the overall GC fight for first where they might lose out on winning cos of a lack of a teammate. They just lose a place or two in the top 10 at worst. Even if it doesn't cost him at any stage, just the accumulated stress of being alone against Astana is something any rider could surely do without.

Firstly everyone's race is hard for them and their goal is their pressure and they were riding to win too and have equal if not greater pressure from team, fans,etc

And secondly Contaodor has had a team ride for him until the mountains but the above other have had no one nearly all the time

When you are tired you are tired ....blaming the team wholly is rubbish...and an excuse

Contador is not invincible but the other day he believed his own press

I still think no matter the time he made the other day he lost too much energy that effected him today

• Advertisement

Landa to get blue as well as another stage win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

So it took almost 3 weeks of racing with full commitment of the Astana team to "crack" Contador in stage 20 (although nothings over yet) ... not to mention he was riding with painful injury and had very little support from his team during the climbs. Chapeau mr Contador.

spock. wrote: »
    Come on Hesjedal!
    He deserves a stage win from this Giro

Would be great to see him get top 5 also - will be touch and go for him with Trofimov

Absolute fail from Astana...why would he wait for Aru? He should have pushed hard for the sake of the Giro...he must be feeling it a little bit now too

Playing it safe for the stage? If Contador was in their place . . . Or the likes of Hesjedal, that they'd think for a second of waiting for a teammate.

Landa to get blue as well as another stage win?

Or Kruijswijk - he's second in that classification

Aru really pushing on, he has the stage at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Aru has the stage win for sure.

Feel for Landa ...lost his KOM jersey and had to ride for Aru this whole Giro when he could be second

Fantastic recovery and calmness from Contador...many others would have bonked completely

Those sunglasses on Pirazzi are seriously fugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Advertisement

Firstly everyone's race is hard for them and their goal is their pressure and they were riding to win too and have equal if not greater pressure from team, fans,etc

And secondly Contaodor has had a team ride for him until the mountains but the above other have had no one nearly all the time

When you are tired you are tired ....blaming the team wholly is rubbish...and an excuse

Contador is not invincible but the other day he believed his own press

I still think no matter the time he made the other day he lost too much energy that effected him today

Kruiswijk & Hesjedal had as much if not greater pressure to win than Contador? Surely you can't believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nice classy touch from Kangert there at the end not to try to pip Contador to the line and instead with 300m to go he allows the Maglia Rosa a bit of space to take the plaudits from the crowd at the line.

I'd say Vino will be furious .. :)

I'm not sure if Kruijswijk got enough KOM points to overtake Visconti?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Nice classy touch from Kangert there at the end not to try to pip Contador to the line and instead with 300m to go he allows the Maglia Rosa a bit of space to take the plaudits from the crowd at the line.

I'd say Vino will be furious .. :)

Yeah it was a nice touch from Kangert.

Contador is still the best in this Giro and is one tough cookie ...Congratulations to him

Hope he can recover and give us a great Tour battle against Froome, Nibali & Quintana

Can't see Contador winning the tour aswell, he's too old and after that tough Giro and injured shoulder, I can't see him having enough in the tank to win it.

pelevin wrote: »
    Kruiswijk & Hesjedal had as much if not greater pressure to win than Contador? Surely you can't believe that.

You have not read my post .....as much pressure to do their goal

and yes Hesedal is under alot of pressure

Horrific from Astana...Landa could have got the stage as well as the mountains jersey yet it's more important for Aru to get another stage. Sooner the better that this year is up for Landa...deserves much more

Horrific from Astana...Landa could have got the stage as well as the mountains jersey yet it's more important for Aru to get another stage. Sooner the better that this year is up for Landa...deserves much more

Greg LeMond is saying that Astana should have called Landa back a lot earlier in order to help Aru's GC chances of overtaking Contador.

I feel sorry for Hesjedal that he didn't win the stage today, but he has managed to finish in 5th overall.

• Advertisement

Only explanation I can make is that Aru is the golden boy of Astana and has long term future there...Landa is gone this year so why should they give him anything more?

Obviously very disappointing for Landa but I do believe it was the right decision for the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If contador had a team he would walk the tdf too.Aru and Landa have some future in the sport,yet again some ride from hesjedal,great giro overall.

Only explanation I can make is that Aru is the golden boy of Astana and has long term future there...Landa is gone this year so why should they give him anything more?

There is rumors that SKY are talking to him but it will most likely be Movistar or BMC

There is rumors that SKY are talking to him but it will most likely be Movistar or BMC

I think he'll go to Katusha personally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What was the final result? Any change in GC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I was wondering whether contadors out of the saddle climbing style gave him problems on the white roads. As much as been tired out fighting astana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

godtabh wrote:
    What was the final result? Any change in GC?

Aru won the stage

Top 5 in GC:
    Contador, Aru, Landa, Amador, Hesjedal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spock. wrote: »
    Aru won the stage

Top 5 in GC:
    Contador, Aru, Landa, Amador, Hesjedal

When I left it didn't see Aru winning it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Can't see Contador winning the tour aswell, he's too old and after that tough Giro and injured shoulder, I can't see him having enough in the tank to win it.

I agree, after his shoulder injury and taking on Astana for most of the giro all of this will take its toll. Come July and Sky, Astana with Nibali at the helm and god knows what else the Tour will be a bridge too far.

I feel sorry for Hesjedal that he didn't win the stage today, but he has managed to finish in 5th overall.

Hesjedal and Kruijswijk have both been great ...climbing as good if not better than Contador in final half of the Giro

Pity they both lost so much time early on....Hesjedal could have been very near the podium

Kruijswijk finished just 12 seconds off 6th place...

Hope they learn from this and turn up next time ready to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I was wondering whether contadors out of the saddle climbing style gave him problems on the white roads. As much as been tired out fighting astana.

I wondered this as well. He also travels a greater distance when you consider the weaving he does (Mortirolo springs to mind) when standing up.

Like many people, I can't help but think that Tinkoff-Saxo did too much work early on in stages though they were pressed by Astana many times too. Looking at the potential Tour team, he does a have a few fresh legs to come into the squad. Majka, Zaugg and Kiserlovski should come in alongside Rogers. Basso was useless in the Giro but I fear he may find his way into the squad. Kreuziger wasn't much better and outside factors may decide his Tour place. I wonder how Sagan will fit in and how much work he'll do, if any, for Contador on those early stages?

My Tour Team. Contador, Majka, Rogers , Zaugg, Kiserlovski, Sagan, Bennati, Morkov, Valgren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Roche would have been a good worker for Alberto. I think it was a mistake letting him go to sky

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Roche would have been a good worker for Alberto. I think it was a mistake letting him go to sky

He certainly would have been a valuable domestique to Contador in this race.

Solobally8 wrote: »

Roche isn't sexy enough form Oleg. I think the way Saxo has been run in the last
    12 months Rouche would suffered. Roche is clearly in sky's plans for the tour where I think he will have a big role to play

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Roche isn't sexy enough form Oleg. I think the way Saxo has been run in the last
    12 months Rouche would suffered. Roche is clearly in sky's plans for the tour where I think he will have a big role to play

What ...not sexy enough for Oleg ??
    Oleg is the antithesis of sexy

Roche didn't want to stay and listen to Oleg shouting at him....

What ...not sexy enough for Oleg ??
    Oleg is the antithesis of sexy

Roche didn't want to stay and listen to Oleg shouting at him....

He wanted a big name draw like Sagan in the squad over Roche. I'm sure Roche also saw the writing on the wall form Barney.

godtabh wrote: »
    He wanted a big name draw like Sagan in the squad over Roche. I'm sure Roche also saw the writing on the wall form Barney.

Oh I see what you mean

I thought you were alluding to Oleg's penchant for photographing riders in their underpants :eek:

Oh I see what you mean

I thought you were alluding to Oleg's penchant for photographing riders in their underpants :eek:

What ever floats olges boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Greg LeMond is saying that Astana should have called Landa back a lot earlier in order to help Aru's GC chances of overtaking Contador.

A bit rich coming from him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement