Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GIRO : Stage 19 : Gravellona Toce–Cervinia 236km

• 29-05-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

It aint over till the fat lady sings, although most of us can hear her singing already, but the way this Giro is going, anything could happen !

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_19.jpg?v=20150415150602

tappa_19_S01.jpg

tappa_19_S03.jpg

tappa_19_S05.jpg

48D2KIm.png

Could Contador get tired and drop minutes to his rivals ?? surely not :eek::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

In the break are:

Betancur and Montaguti (Ag2r), Rutkiewicz (CCC), Ulissi (Lampre), Visconti (Movistar), Chaves (Orica), Kochetkov (Katusha), Van der Lijke (Lotto NL), Kiryienka (Team Sky).

/come on Kiryienka (it matters more when there's Velogames on it!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It aint over till the fat lady sings, although most of can hear her singing already, but the way this Giro is going, anything could happen !

Could Contador get tired and drop minutes to his rivals ?? surely not :eek::rolleyes:

Contador is desperate to win a stage. He only has two chances left, today and tomorrow. Even if he doesn't win today's stage, he will still most likely gain more time on his rivals.

Probability of Contador cracking = 0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really don't understand why it such a long stage. They could have easily knocked the 1st 70k off it without making any real difference.

In an era when we are looking for a cleaner sport, the extra length seems kinda pointless.

I know, its a cumulative process, wearing down etc, but the GC contenders (as well as everyone else) have done the long k's, what is the point of placing the additional ones.

More an arguement about racing in general rather than todays stage, but particularly in terms of the Giro where they have experimented with shorter, faster and more exciting stages in the past, this seems a bit weird.

Big day for the KOM jersey. 112 points on offer in total.

Current standings:
    1 Steven Kruijswijk 92 pts
    2 Benat Intxausti 91
    3 Mikel Landa 73
    4 Carlos Betancur 68
    5 Simon Geschke 53
    6 Giovanni Visconti 51
    7 Alberto Contador 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

seems to be alot of very long stages in it this year, tomorrow looks like a killer aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

my prediction

Alberto to win this stage, out of the saddle from start to finish, with one leg with the other leg tied up

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Tomorrows stage but good vid by gcn on the Colle Delle Finestre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTS1TRN9Tg&index=1&list=PLUdAMlZtaV13D-8EGMxgbUt2WBawbIQuX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why it such a long stage. They could have easily knocked the 1st 70k off it without making any real difference.

In an era when we are looking for a cleaner sport, the extra length seems kinda pointless.
    I think there should be a mix in a grand tour with a leaning towards more shorter stages rather than being like this giro with too many long ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

they use to do 2 stages a day on the Tour de France. Werent long stages and some varied between a road stage and tt on same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Astana pushing hard

• Advertisement

CGIlxYvWcAAfprn.jpg

This is going around twitter this morning....great to see Soler Hernandez again and looking good. Had so much potential. Never forget that colossal win in the 2007 Tour. Alberto again in a monumental picture two days in a row after the Riis hug picture yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Coverage just about to commence on Eurosport 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

blobbie wrote: »
    Coverage just about to commence on Eurosport 1

Thank goodness. It would be nice to see Contador getting a stage win, hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I love Sean Kelly prefacing many statements with

" I ask myself "

Contador down to only a few teammates again...Astana's team is incredible...fantastic effort by them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Contador down to only a few teammates again...Astana's team is incredible...fantastic effort by them again

Not that this is the place for it but it would lead you to have a good look at Nibali at about 6/1 for the TDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Maybe that's Astana's ultimate objective today (& tomorrow), ie. tire out Bertie for the TDF !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

CGIlxYvWcAAfprn.jpg

This is going around twitter this morning....great to see Soler Hernandez again and looking good. Had so much potential. Never forget that colossal win in the 2007 Tour. Alberto again in a monumental picture two days in a row after the Riis hug picture yesterday

Poor bloke - so much potential

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Maybe that's Astana's ultimate objective today (& tomorrow), ie. tire out Bertie for the TDF !

or at least deny him a stage victory on the way to this giro title

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Some ride from hesjedal again

• Advertisement

Looks like Aru is going to take another victory for Astana.

Landa must be pretty pi**ed to lose second place.

Well that stage sucked balls...roll on tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Hesjedal up to 7th....he was about 30 places down after stage 4

What a recovery

He & Kruijswijk should be right up there on GC as best climbers after Contador/Landa and Aru

CGLp2qKUIAAgIRR.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Maybe spoiled with much of what's happened this Giro but if I'd known how that was gonna go I'd have not bothered with it. I suppose with his efforts of late Contador was happy just to ride it in, & with the likes of Konig, Uran having no problems being up there, showed the climax didn't have the intensity of other days. Unless he was cooked - which seems very doubtful - must have been frustrating for Landa to have to sit there, though maybe his own fault not to have gone harder before Aru took his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Strange one from Bertie. Why do all the effort of yesterday, and then hand all the time back to Aru on such a relatively easy climb? Sure he stayed with Landa and looked pretty comfortable, but why let Aru get such a shot of confidence when he was basically on the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There was no point in busting himself as he has plenty of time in hand and unlikely to be in danger from him for the rest of the race.

Stage 18 was simply a bit of payback and revenge and perhaps sending a message to Nibali, Froome et al that you don't mess with him. He might have been a bit tired from those two brutal solo attacks so he might have took it easy so he can have a good crack today. As said he looked very comfortable yesterday, as good and as relaxed as I have ever seen Contador. Landa attacked a few times but never even got a wheels distance on Contador. Normally he would attack regardless so he must have been feeling tired but I feel he has been told to relax and save as much as possible for the Tour. If he simply follows Landa today then I'm certain he's been told to take it easy for the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Stage 18 was simply a bit of payback and revenge and perhaps sending a message to Nibali, Froome et al that you don't mess with him. He might have been a bit tired from those two brutal solo attacks so he might have took it easy so he can have a good crack today. As said he looked very comfortable yesterday, as good and as relaxed as I have ever seen Contador. Landa attacked a few times but never even got a wheels distance on Contador. Normally he would attack regardless so he must have been feeling tired but I feel he has been told to relax and save as much as possible for the Tour. If he simply follows Landa today then I'm certain he's been told to take it easy for the tour.

Though in terms of being told what to do, I'd trust Contador's own race awareness far more than anyone now in the Saxo hierarchy. It was definitely wise imo yesterday to give himself a break, the job's been done, & killing himself where he'd probably really struggle to drop Landa would have been too draining for too little. I'd say he'll have a go today but I'd say if he feels it's asking too much with the Tour ahead, I'd not be surprised he feels a stage win a little less significant than some onlookers presume given the cost consideration.
    Like u say, the attack on Stage 18 had a personal element & much more to it than simply gaining time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

loved soler Hernandez! his style on the bike was hilarious. like a cockroach ha

Advertisement