Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Byrne 200 2015

• 29-04-2015 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Interested in signing up for this. I think it's a week before the Wicklow 200 which I am doing with a few club members. What's this sportive like in terms of organisation, food stops etc? The main reason I am looking at doing it is to get another 200k hilly ride before La Marmotte in July. The only thing putting me off is the 2hour plus drive from the north.

Anyone else going to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Interested in signing up for this. I think it's a week before the Wicklow 200 which I am doing with a few club members. What's this sportive like in terms of organisation, food stops etc? The main reason I am looking at doing it is to get another 200k hilly ride before La Marmotte in July. The only thing putting me off is the 2hour plus drive from the north.

Anyone else going to do it?

Great event, much tougher than Wicklow 200 I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

much smaller numbers generally. ive completed the 160 the last couple years and there may be 40-50 people per distance grade doing it, so forget about smashing around it in big groups like you can do in the wicklow. food stops/controls are low key but excellent.. out of the back of a car in the middle of a forest for one. creamed rice in icecream cones at someones garden gate for another. they do look after you well food-wise. decent lunch in the brocagh centre laragh too. its a tough day, a lot of lumpy terrain between aughrim and laragh which saps the energy. i do it as a preparation to the wicklow the week after like you're planning, certainly takes the sting out of the w200 once you've completed this. its very well organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's more like an audux than a W200 style sportive. The numbers are lower, the organisation is more low key.

As mentioned there are food stops, and places where you need to get your card marked if you want to get the audux medal.

The course is a tough one, I agree than it is tougher than the W200. I have done this a few times and would certainly include it as preparation for the Marmotte. It covers everything really. The early start, the length of the time in the saddle, the toughness of the course.

2 hours is a long drive that early in the morning alright, but I would say that it is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Here you go!Mick Byrne Randonee

It is tough, there is a lot of climbing and it's evenly split across the ride. Don't go all guns blazing at the start because its a long, long day in the saddle. You won't get a jersey, the catering is good and there is a real volunteer spirit. I've used it as a training ride for Liege-Bastogne-Liege and others in my club use it as training for other hilly rides such as the Etape.

W200 is easy peasy by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Jim, I'm not sure where you're based in the North, but there's also the Around Down 200 at the end of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Fantastic event in terms of course and organisation and as others mentioned, excellent preparation for WW200 and beyond. It is a tough route (if in doubt at a junction go up, was some advice given to me last year in terms of navigation) so no easy Sunday spin.

Having said that, there are some segments covered that will be new to many experienced Wicklow cyclists so great chance to explore the lesser roads and a much more personal feel than many of the bigger sportives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just signed up for this. Something to look forward to after exams. Is that the definitive course? I'll just stick it on the Garmin if it is to avoid getting lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anybody got the route map for the 160K. I had a look at Sorrento's website but couldnt see it

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Here's the 160k route which looks like a bit of a leg breaker to me. http://www.bikemap.net/route/509667#lat=53.056020431562&lng=-6.225075&zoom=9&maptype=ts_terrain. According to bikemap.net there's 2200m of climbing , Strava says 2700m for the same route - big difference! If you believe the Strava figures that's the same vertical ascent as the W200.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rfreese888

Did the 160K last year which was my first real event. You gotta pace yourself. I got too excited in a few packs early on and then bonked after Laragh at just over 100K - was crawling for an hour over the Sallygap until I came to senses.

Would agree 160K Mick is same challenge as 200K Wick.

This year doing Mick 200 and Wick 200 and have been training hard all winter and spring to be able for it. One week apart should be interesting but I reckon I'll be bullet proof on the other side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anyone have link to website with details on this one??

http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/mick-byrne-200/

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/uncategorized/2015-mick-byrne-randonee/

Im going to do the 160. Then the ww 200 the Sunday after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Done it a few times, the 200km is the best 200 in Wicklow by miles, savage day in the saddle, roads you never knew existed and our countryside at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Inquitus wrote: »
    Done it a few times, the 200km is the best 200 in Wicklow by miles, savage day in the saddle, roads you never knew existed and our countryside at its finest.
    Countryside you say? All I could see up very close was my Garmin (ticking very very slowly by) and I became an expert at Froome impressions. Did the 160 and W200 in 2013, missed the MB last year but have got a full day pass (full day mind is 9+ hours a bike) for the 200 this year. Lord have mercy on my soul and my legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

And for good measure there is vico hill at 198km's. What other event does that????:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Two years ago while still a bit nuts i did the 200 followed the week after by the evil 200 on the Saturday and the Wicklow 200 on the sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

vico hill at 198km's

After 198km of Mick Byrnes you don't call it a hill anymore ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Konkers wrote: »
    And for good measure there is vico hill at 198km's. What other event does that????:D

I had enough at that point, only the self promise of burger and curry chips on way home got me over that last hill...

The walkers on the hill were bemused at the pain expressions adorning my face eek.png

miller_63 wrote: »
    I had enough at that point, only the self promise of burger and curry chips on way home got me over that last hill...

The walkers on the hill were bemused at the pain expressions adorning my face eek.png

I had to muster a bit of a smile as the photographer was perched at the very top.:eek:

• Advertisement

Had to choose between Evil 200 and MB (not enough brownie points for both), signed to Mick Byrne's just now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I've signed up for the 100km.

If that goes ok I might start the Boards Evil the following week and see how far I can go before bailing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Must get my name on the start list. Not sure what state I'll be in after Slane the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Must get my name on the start list. Not sure what state I'll be in after Slane the day before.

Ah you'll be grand. The climb up Slane is fairly short!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Debrad

This is the 8th Annual Mick Byrne and we hope to fill all the spots by next weekend as entries are filling fast and the event is limited to 300 across the categories.

We now have 170 out of 300 spots filled and we will not be taking entries on the day as it causes delays at the food-stops...maps are up on our site in the events page and the route is similar to other years...

Real food and great coffee in Laragh guaranteed...
    See you on Sunday 31st May...day off for the bank holiday next day!
    The Sorrento Team

Debrad wrote: »
    This is the 8th Annual Mick Byrne and we hope to fill all the spots by next weekend as entries are filling fast and the event is limited to 300 across the categories.

We now have 170 out of 300 spots filled and we will not be taking entries on the day as it causes delays at the food-stops...maps are up on our site in the events page and the route is similar to other years...

Real food and great coffee in Laragh guaranteed...
    See you on Sunday 31st May...day off for the bank holiday next day!
    The Sorrento Team

A day off? Need a week more like😜

Alek wrote: »
    Had to choose between Evil 200 and MB (not enough brownie points for both), signed to Mick Byrne's just now :)

Hopefully see you there. what kinda bike are you on?

Black Genesis Croix de Fer. I will be wearing old Boards jersey (blue/orange) most likely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Debrad wrote: »
    ...maps are up on our site ...
    Is the route marked or is it audax style self navigation?

(I'm in the red with brownie points so I haven't got ground clearance yet!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Was roadmarked last year from memory but would imagine there's some routes of past years on Ride with GPS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I downloaded someone's previous ride and every year since I always end up going off route within 100 meters of the start. :o
    Must start paying attention to the road markings out of Dalkey.

It was 100% road marked with yellow arrows last year. I wasn't even checking my Garmin... too often :)

Two years ago I recall two snack stops before Laragh on the 160k route though and it was well marked AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Trying to rehabilitate two torn hamstrings that caused me to miss the Orwell randonee. Signed up for 160 to see if there is still any hope of completing WW200. Not sure if I'll wear my old pink boards jersey or new Orwell gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I'm planning on going down by myself. Will I be a loner or will there be groups or clubs setting off that I could sit in with?

• Advertisement

I'm planning on going down by myself. Will I be a loner or will there be groups or clubs setting off that I could sit in with?

It tends to get blown apart by its very nature, every time I have done it the majority has been solo.

Blown apart on the first climb about 500 metres from the clubhouse :-) There might be small pockets of people all cursing the man, get chatting and you might have company for most of the day.

Anyways I don't have the form to race the A3 at Deenside that weekend, and I can think of no better way of trying to find it then partaking in this fine spin, so I'll see you all in Dalkey :D

.... so I'll see you all in Dalkey :D
    at the rate you ride P, you'll only see us at the start line. I suppose you'll hope to average 32/33km/h over the 200? :D

It tends to get blown apart by its very nature, every time I have done it the majority has been solo.

hmmm I'm not so keen now! Coming down from Co Armagh and it will be my first time in Wicklow never mind cycling round the wicklow mountains! Im a cert to get lost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

hmmm I'm not so keen now! Coming down from Co Armagh and it will be my first time in Wicklow never mind cycling round the wicklow mountains! Im a cert to get lost!

I'm thinking the very same thing in Armagh during the cuchuallan challenge in August!

I'm doing the mb 160 and will chat and spin along with anyone during the day to pass the miles. il be on a black Olympia Ikon and you'll know me as il be out of breath!!

There will be plenty of people to talk to on the way round, but there won't be big groups on the road to get a tow off of. And given the amount of climbing the people you ride with will change as the day wears on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

There will be plenty of people to talk to on the way round, but there won't be big groups on the road to get a tow off of. And given the amount of climbing the people you ride with will change as the day wears on.

@Jim stynes
    agree with inquitus. Its a solo day on the bike becasue the amount of climbing means that pacing yourself is key (unless you are very strong). However my experience was that the road was very well marked and so you won't get lost. From reading other posts it looks like you are doing the Marmote so you should be well placed at this stage to complete this.

I'll have a black Rose bike. Say hello!!!!

Konkers wrote: »
    @Jim stynes
    agree with inquitus. Its a solo day on the bike becasue the amount of climbing means that pacing yourself is key (unless you are very strong). However my experience was that the road was very well marked and so you won't get lost. From reading other posts it looks like you are doing the Marmote so you should be well placed at this stage to complete this.

I'll have a black Rose bike. Say hello!!!!

I'm trying to convince a mate to come down with me. Doubt he will go though. Yeah I will be pacing myself and preparing myself for a long day. I will be doing the wicklow 200 the following week with a few fellas from the club.

I cycled a 200 km a few weeks ago and felt very strong at the end of it. However that was in a group and this will probably have twice as much climbing which will give me an indication of where I am at for the la marmotte! Doing a slow 160km tomorrow as well so I'm def getting good long runs in at the minute.

Is there any road assistance etc? I would hate to get a mechanical and be stuck at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Oh and Black bianchi sempre pro! Say hello!

Is there any road assistance etc? I would hate to get a mechanical and be stuck at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

No official assistance, but many riders will carry some spares/tools and most of them will help you when you're stuck. There probably will be some spare tubes, a track pump and experienced guys at the controls too.

I'm trying to convince a mate to come down with me. Doubt he will go though. Yeah I will be pacing myself and preparing myself for a long day. I will be doing the wicklow 200 the following week with a few fellas from the club.

I cycled a 200 km a few weeks ago and felt very strong at the end of it. However that was in a group and this will probably have twice as much climbing which will give me an indication of where I am at for the la marmotte! Doing a slow 160km tomorrow as well so I'm def getting good long runs in at the minute.

Oh and Black bianchi sempre pro! Say hello!

It's an Audax, one of the tenets of Audax is self reliance, which is why some of the lads carry the kitchen sink with them. If you have a drastic mechanical you can count on the good nature of your fellow riders to help you out, but if what's broken can't be fixed you'll be ringing a taxi or the missus.

It's an Audax, one of the tenets of Audax is self reliance, which is why some of the lads carry the kitchen sink with them. If you have a drastic mechanical you can count on the good nature of your fellow riders to help you out, but if what's broken can't be fixed you'll be ringing a taxi or the missus.

I live in Armagh so i would get divorced if I rang the wife to come pick me up in the wicklow mountains. I will bring a spare tyre in the back pocket! Had a blow out a while ago and luckily i wasn't too far from home!

... I would hate to get a mechanical and be stuck at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...
    That's what's great about Wicklow - even when there's no organised event on, there's always plenty of other cyclists around. I've assisted several other stranded cyclists over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

buddy of mine had a blown tyre one year and a well equipt audaxer got him back on the road, another buddy snapped his chain and was sorted in the same way, tbh, its not a bad event to have a mechanical.. you could be waiting hours for official support on some of the bigger attended events.

buddy of mine had a blown tyre one year and a well equipt audaxer got him back on the road, another buddy snapped his chain and was sorted in the same way, tbh, its not a bad event to have a mechanical.. you could be waiting hours for official support on some of the bigger attended events.

Aye to put it in perspective saying the Audax crowd carry the kitchen sink is not too far off here's an example from London-Edinburgh-London. I only tend to do the 200-300km ones not the true epics but even still I have been caught out without a spare tyre before and would now carry one just in case. While its unlikely you'll shred a tyre its far more likely you may find yourself at the side of the road in howling wind and rain unable to find the sliver of glass that keeps popping each new tube you put in! Happened to me in the Industrial Estates on the far side of Finglas at midnight and required a 12km walk to the finish in Whitehall, not what you need after 290km and 14 odd hours on the road.

old_bike.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement