Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo Zonda Wheels?

• 17-01-2013 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

As per title. Does anyone here use them? What would the general consensus be as to reliability, quality, ect? Appreciate any views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mrs has a set. Good and solid. She raced on them for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Very good wheels for the money I think.

They are super strong and quite light - they weigh less than the listed 1500 grams.

The hubs are the same quality as those used on more expensive campag and fulcrum models and as record hubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Have a pair. Love 'em. Cant say that they make me faster...........but they shure do look purdy :D

Very reliable and true over the past year. Easy enough to change a tyre. Stable when sprinting out of the seat and climbing on tough gradients. Paid about €400 via CRC. They are a bit more now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭wotdef

That's great. Thanks for the replies. They certainly seem to be ideal for my needs and budget.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm on my second pair of them now. Swear by them. Excellent hubs, well built since they'll rarely go out of true, nice and light for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I've been riding on them for two years, no problems, go round and round and look very cool.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guybrush T wrote: »
    go round and round
    Well, you can't ask for anything more than that ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Well, you can't ask for anything more than that ... :)

Do they go woosh-woosh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Idunnowho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Lads are any of you that run zondas on the heavier end of the spectrum? I'm about 85kgs, should I keep looking or will these stay true underneath my meaty frame? Have been running aksiums this past year with no issues if they're anything to go by.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

colm_gti wrote: »
    Lads are any of you that run zondas on the heavier end of the spectrum? I'm about 85kgs, should I keep looking or will these stay true underneath my meaty frame? Have been running aksiums this past year with no issues if they're anything to go by.....

I have 2 sets of Zondas . I would be approx 90kg and I find them a super wheel .Have stayed as true as the day I purchased them.The day I bought them I went in for Fulcrum racing 3 but LBS were out of stock and recommended the Zonda's.Told me they were equivalent.I haven't been sorry.
    They are an absolute super price(for Shimano hub) at the moment, a steal at the price.Even tempted to get another set for myself
    http://www.roseversand.com/search/find/?q=zonda
    compared to
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-road-bike-wheelset-2012/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm heavier than you and haven't had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Cheers lads, had budgeted €600 for racing wheels for 2013, but half that is always nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Also ridden them at 90+ kg (although on the way down now :)) with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great wheels and €329 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

+1 on all the above. Great wheels, have them about 4 years and no complaints. Light and tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I found a pair on bike discount for 299 and picked them. They look very cool with that fancy design on the rear wheel, but I also heard/read somewhere it would be preferable to use 25mm tyres. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't mind to do that, what's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

clod71 wrote: »
    I found a pair on bike discount for 299 and picked them. They look very cool with that fancy design on the rear wheel, but I also heard/read somewhere it would be preferable to use 25mm tyres. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't mind to do that, what's that about?

It's a load if nonsense. I've never run anything other than 23s on mine

I never hard of this either and have only ever used 23s on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I doubt it's anything to do with Zonda's specifically, and more to do with the supposed fact that 25mm tyres are grippier, more comfortable and faster.

• Advertisement

I found that strange too, but you maybe right @dave_o_brien... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/campagnolo-zonda-305426.html in this post, they are probably referring to the fact that, being the wheels very sturdy, with a 25mm you get more comfort than you would with a 23mm? Anyway, I started using 25mm tyres a few months ago and so far I can't see any disadvantage... More grip, more comfort, same performance...
    Looking forward to get my Zonda now... :)
    Thank you all for the replies

I found that strange too, but you maybe right @dave_o_brien... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/campagnolo-zonda-305426.html in this post, they are probably referring to the fact that, being the wheels very sturdy, with a 25mm you get more comfort than you would with a 23mm? Anyway, I started using 25mm tyres a few months ago and so far I can't see any disadvantage... More grip, more comfort, same performance...
    Looking forward to get my Zonda now... :)
    Thank you all for the replies

They are great wheels - enjoy them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

letape wrote: »
    They are great wheels - enjoy them!

I concur, I've found it hard (yet to) switch over to the winter DT Swiss wheels so far for my commute, and I'm running 23mm tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I find them fantastic wheels. Very easy to dismantle and service.

They have loose hub bearings and roll extremely well. Freewheel hub has 2 pressed-in sealed bearings. 3 locking steel pawls.

Due to lack of grease, outer freewheel bearing lets a bit of moisture into mount surface inner ring. Results in corrosion and axle may be hard to remove for service. The axle is aluminum, no probs there. Just noticed this when servicing hubs recently. It doesn't effect performance in any way, however.

I've opened them after 2K km, but there was no need - everything was perfect except that slight corrosion there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Caution needed and special tools when adjusting these spokes !

I have had a some problems with spokes on my Zonda's !

A bottlecage failed and went into the rear wheel this weakened the spoke and caused a buckle. To adjust it you need a spoke spanner and a tool to hold the flatspoke straight and stop it from twisting. I didn't have the tools so had it done in CSS. The Spoke failed subsequently in a race which was a pain, in hindsight it should have been replaced. Replacing these spokes is also a tricky procedure and best left to guys who know what they are doing with these wheels.

They do look cool though and generally have a great reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

How often should they be serviced? And any manuals on-line on how to do it?

How often should they be serviced? And any manuals on-line on how to do it?

From the manual:
    If I understand correctly, between 2K and 5K km to lubricate hubs.

Information on the Campy website.
    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/wheelsdetail/item_Zondacop_catid_10.jsp

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/ZONDA_EN_03_2013.pdf

Sorry folks, maybe a silly question... I finally got the wheels and I was just buying a few spare tubes.
    Now, the rear wheel has a 30mm profile... Are the regular 42mm valves a good fit for them or should I go with the 60mm ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ordered the Zonda's at the weekend got them for 319 + 2.50 for postage. Looking forward to trying them out.

• Advertisement

I have 42 ones and they are fine. Once inflated, they stick out enough for the pump to put on easily.

Enjoy the wheels!

nordicb wrote: »
    I have 42 ones and they are fine. Once inflated, they stick out enough for the pump to put on easily.

Enjoy the wheels!

thanks you nordicb.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Hi, just checking if anyone uses these as a daily wheel ? i.e. commute and weekend spins. I have a 25k commute but only really come to bad roads when I get into the city.

Would these wheels be up to the task or should I go for something cheaper / stronger / heavier ?

I just want one set of wheels that will perform well on long fast spins but also stand up to the rigours of daily commute.

Cheers

I don't use them to commute as I have them on the "good bike". They are great all rounder wheels and they are very strong. Still... they cost 300 quid.
    To commute I use a pair of Shimano R500. 80 euro for the pair, maybe a bit heavier, but you don't have to worry about potholes or rain... they are bombproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Have had them on my commuter / good bike (I only have one bike :() for the last year without problems. Had a couple of spokes straightened but that's it, have 4/5000kms covered on them and they're still running straight as a dye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I've had Zondas in mind for my Tifosi (currently running Aksiums) but my main priorities are Italian wheels and the fact that my Aksiums are third hand.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just get G3 Khamsins for half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Bought a set of these online during the week and and what a bargain e299 delivered, what a wheel. They roll so smoothly there's definitely a notch up in speed. And as a previous poster mentioned they also look seriously good. They feel rock solid especially on a few sharp corners descending at about 50 Kph. The only slight downside is the noise level as you descend, I put this down to the extra speed and the fact that the wheel is so solid. But that's a minor observation and after 2 short rides I reckon it's just about the best money I've ever spent upgrading my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

+1 for zondas

Cant see any further need for an upgrade although second set would be nice.

Great wheels, you can fault them at 299e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Currently have mavic aksium entry level wheels on my steed. Would these be much of an updgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

coach22 wrote: »
    Currently have mavic aksium entry level wheels on my steed. Would these be much of an updgrade?

Yes great upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Yes great upgrade

You have confirmed what I expected! Must find the money from somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

How do the zondas compare to Mavic Cosmic Elites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

Lads Where are they being sold for €299 delivered ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dono1975 wrote: »
    Lads Where are they being sold for €299 delivered ?
    I think they were on a special at bikediscount.de - back to €339 now.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/campagnolo-zonda-wheelset-black-shimano-82975/wg_id-3

SwimCycleRun had them at €330 but always seem to be out of stock now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

I think they were on a special at bikediscount.de - back to €339 now.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/campagnolo-zonda-wheelset-black-shimano-82975/wg_id-3

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Campy Sciroccos at €240 now!

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-scirocco-h35-wheelset-shimano-hub-.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boscoirl wrote: »

Shimano model only at that price I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm thinking of getting these ... What's the difference between the campagnolo and shimano? I've a giant propel with ultrgra... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/#buy-options

Steroo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting these ... What's the difference between the campagnolo and shimano? I've a giant propel with ultrgra... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/#buy-options

The Shimano version has a freehub compatible with Shimano and SRAM cassettes, while the campagnolo version is needed if you are fitting a campagnolo cassette.

• Advertisement
Advertisement