Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mick Byrne 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Alek wrote: »
    Weather forecast for Sunday looks at least uninspiring. Waterproofs on guys! :cool:

if it was easy, none of you would be interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've already done the hard way last year. Was hoping for sone sunshine for a change... silly me :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anyone have a link to the 200km route on the Garmin Connect website so I can upload on my Garmin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Its looking unlikely I will make it, if anyone needs or know anyone who needs an entry drop me a pm

The weather for Sunday looks much better now... good! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Anyone who want a a free entry for the 160km can have mine. Family occasion has intervened and I can't partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The weather for Sunday looks much better now... good! :D

Good? My app says cold (10c) with 30+k winds and a good chance of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Have a free entry for this. Don't have the miles in the legs to be able for it.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour_detailed.html

Barely any rain after 6am and the wind... well, there is lots of hills and we are going in a circle, so it does not matter that much as, lets say, headwind on Dublin>Galway route ;)

Temperatures around 10c are something we all should be used by now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I will be making my decision on whether to go or not at about 5am on Sunday morning! Ive the tour of fermanagh sportive tomorrow as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Anyone have a link to the 200km route on the Garmin Connect website so I can upload on my Garmin?

Here you go

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9757580

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I will be making my decision on whether to go or not at about 5am on Sunday morning! Ive the tour of fermanagh sportive tomorrow as well.

Forecast looks good from 6am on so maybe ignore the rain at 5am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Its dry outside,but windy.Yr.no says it'll be mostly dry in Wicklow today,roll on the 200k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Christ, that was some wind coming over the Sallygap. Hailstones weren't really much-appreciated either. Good event, bloody wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

extremely well organised. Superb route. Is there anywhere else you'll get that kinda value for your €15?
    Found it tough going and I know I was in such bad shape I worried a few lads along the way. They were decent enough to try and help me but I'm beyond helping. Seriously considered packing it in at Laragh but after some of that great food and coffee was able to go on.
    Feckin wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Did the 200km route in 8 1/2 hours moving, 9 1/2 hours total.Very well marked,plenty of food at the check in points and the helpers were lovely and friendly.But the wind across Sally Gap from the waterfall to Glencree was a killer.

Going down 50kph by the lake after Sally's, a gust of wind blown me half a lane sideways in an instant. My buddy was in shock after seeing this...definitely one of my scariest cycling moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Great event, great food and great route! Scenery was stunning ( well I was going slow enough that I could appreciate it). But what can you say about the wind? The head/crosswinds up at Sally gap were something else. The tail wind on Slieve Mann was fantastic! Great event and well done SorrentoCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I pussied out of it. I did the Tour of Fermanagh 150km yesterday and couldn't face the thought of driving 2+ hours by myself at 5am to go do 200km by myself. Wicklow 200 with a couple of club mates next week! Hope the weather is good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Great event sorrento well done to you all. In a weeks time (when I've recovered) I'll be looking foward to next year. Sandwiches in laragh were great. Set out with the 200 group with the intention of diving off for the 160 but happy I stuck at it. Tough going. Got back at 6.30. No glory there but better than I thought at the start of the day. Bed............aaaaaaaahhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

That was one tough (but great) day!
    Did the 160k, my longest distance to date. How yee guys did the the 200k is beyond me....seriously....respect!

Great job by Sorrento - everyone was really friendly and the foodstop was first class. I'm a big fan of Tuna, so I milled a heap of them sambos!!!! Nice one! :)

That was an incredible route - I haven't been over some of those roads in literally decades, and I was blown away by the scenery.

Anyhoo....first timer at 160k....will certainly be back next year!!!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Good? My app says cold (10c) with 30+k winds and a good chance of rain!

The wind didn't slow you down much - big kudos for this ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I did the 160k 2 years ago and thought that was my pinnacle. Did the 200 yesterday for my best day on the bike. Stunning route, hills aplenty,loads of good food and a very friendly bunch to travel round with. One hail shower up to the waterfall and then a headwind round to sally gap (cos that was a flat bit😜)

Big shout out to the guys and gals of sorrento who did a fab job keeping everyone fed and watered and informed of hazards on the road. We even got an email on Saturday about the weather forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Woke up in the hotel and with a bottle of Lucozade and 2 Jam Donuts for breakfast I knew the day was going to be tough. After eventually deciding what to wear due to the variable weather forecast I headed down to the start. Good crowd at the start and set off on time with some nice little warm up climbs out of Dalkey. I moved in and out of groups for the first hour and I think it was the top of Djouce hill when I stopped for a second breakfast.

After that I spent most of the day out on my own but the weather stead dry coupled with the beautiful scenery it was a great day on the bike. There was something physiological about reaching the top of the climb out of Woodenbridge because at that point the cycle finally turned back towards Dublin :) I stopped about every 25km to top up on food and give the legs a rest. The long drag along Ballycreen combined with the wind was tough and to be greeted by Slieve Mann at the bottom was a nice touch!!!

The foodstop in Laragh was great and a big thanks to the woman there who made me a sandwich due to my 'picky' diet and also that diluted orange was fantastic. Not realising how long the slog up to Sally gap was I set off at a reasonable pace and was delighted when I finally seen the Kippure mast as I knew it was nearly home. The climb was interesting as I had headwind, side wind and even a tail wind blowing me up at certain sections! pretty much rolled down the decent as the legs were tired and thankfully at the little climb by the Ski Jump place the Orwell train picked me up (thanks lads!) and carried me to the Kiliney hill where I crawled up and completed by a lap of Dalkey to the finish.

Short cycle back to hotel carpark to collect the car and back in Galway at about 10 last night so a long day but big up to the organisers for great day and tremendous value. I also got a nice spin along the start of the Orwell Randonee route to the Kippure Mast on the Saturday which was a great warm up, 1000m climbing in 35km!

Ride time (including to and from) was 8:38 with a 9:53 total time, 3800m ascend and average speed of 23.7km, phew even typing these stats make me tired!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Fantastic event, extremely well organised and run and a real credit to Sorrento so thanks a lot for what must be a huge effort that goes into it both beforehand and on the day itself! Despite the time and effort required on their parts, every one of the people that I met helping out on the day was cheerful, helpful, and very supportive. From the well organised sign-on to the very good quality (and quantity!) of food at Laragh, and each of the controls, they could not have done a better job.

And the route itself was great too, I rode over some roads that I never even knew existed and I'll be back to explore them again. I'd highly recommend this event to anyone.

The road between Glenmacnass and Sallygap was "interesting", the hailstones decided it would be great fun altogether to batter my exposed left ear, left cheek, and lips. They even managed to sail between the vents in my helmet to batter my head - that'll teach me to cut my hair short the day before a long ride! I spent over a kilometre riding with my left hand sheltering my ear and as much of my face as it could cover, the entire stretch peppered with loud utterances of "Ow!", "Ouch!", and "GEROFF!". I finally see the appeal of a big protective fuzzy beard, and big fuzzy ears wouldn't have gone amiss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Going down 50kph by the lake after Sally's, a gust of wind blown me half a lane sideways in an instant. My buddy was in shock after seeing this...definitely one of my scariest cycling moments.

That's probably Lough Bray. Normally a tricky fast descent but yesterday I thought I was going to be blown backwards towards the Gap.
    Bad and all as the wind was, imagine doing it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Great event - well done to Paul and all at Sorrento. Third time doing the 200 and it never gets easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Got a bit of a fright myself there too - due to a numerically large family plus dog crossing the road as I came around the corner at a fair pace. Thankfully they all jumped out of the way.

Excellent organisation by Paul and Sorrento - directions, road markings and the stop at Laragh were worthy of any sportive in the country but for the cost of an audax. Tough route, up and down all day and the 3 biggest climbs didn't start until the second 100Km . Well done to all who finished - I'll be putting this down a must do in future years.

That's probably Lough Bray

True! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rfreese888

Bonked on the 160 out of Laragh last year and made a decision to get proper fit and do the 200 this year.

Plan was to do it in 9 hours rolling at 22 km/h. Did it in 8:44 at 22.7 km/h.

The route is beautiful but relentless - climbs just keep coming at you and the wind (save for merciful tail wind up Slieve Man) was a challenge.

Somehow found the afterburners after 150 K and managed to power home through the wind and hail.

Sorrento got the whole day spot on. A proper challenge for any cyclist from anywhere in the world I would say.

Chapeau to all who rode :-)

Advertisement