Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The hierarchy you're tangled in is a bit more complicated that you want us to believe :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not so much today, but over the past few weeks I added bits and bobs here and there.

I started out with new SPD-L pedals Shimano 105 to complete the groupset. They are quite nice, I like them a lot. Replaced the free generic metal bottle cages with new plastic gloss cages. They really suit the bike. After last weeks weather, I decided to get myself some race blades. Just waiting for the GP 4000s to arrive and that should be the last of my purchases for a while :P

17348025308_4427263202_c.jpg
    Cube Peleton Race

Just before I purchased this bike, I was in need of a new groupset for my Cube Acid hardtail. I went with the Deor XT. My god is it sexy. Really happy with it. Before that I purchased SLX break levers, they are unreal paired with the XT-Saint Ice-Tech rotors. Serious stopping power. I got a pair of lizard skinz grips which I am very happy with. Also bought proper flats from Moove, only took 4-5 years :P

The bottle cage is horrible, but until I purchased the Peleton Race, I wasn't much interested in how the bike looked. The coil in the forks is on the way out so I will need to replace my forks soon. Just not sure what I am going to replace them with. Suspensions are bloody expensive though :(.

16915466983_b0da0636b3_c.jpg
    Cube Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Following a bike fit, I've a longer stem installed (going from 90mm to 120mm) and now have it slammed. Steerer tube cut, leaving about 5mm on top, just in case.
    stem.jpg

Power meter installed, too. power2max type s.
    pm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The BEAT is back.

20150518_184941.jpg

Ah Wolfgang, we'll have such adventures you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Not a big deal to must out there but learnt how to properly tune my campy gears. Chuffed with myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Fitted a new cassette, chain, cables and wheelset this morning. Everything on the bike apart from the rear mech and shifters is Ultegra at this stage. Rear mech is still 105, and shifters are Dura Ace barcon's.

I've to drill a reflector into my rear mudguard and leather mudflaps into both mudguards, and she's done. So close! I'll have to celebrate by buying a new frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Finally completed my groupset with a set of Ultegra 6800 pedals. They replaced R550 pedals so no difference other than a 50g weight difference (which is always a good thing)

20150529_130303.jpg New saddle to replace the Aldi/Selle Royal failure.

I feel in danger of making Wolfgang Beaterson look too good for his undercover street operations.

Was at Slane yesterday, working today, so all my hopes rest on a Bank Holiday Monday and the Peter Andre's insania level driving on our roads.

So I finally put some decent V brakes on Wolfgang Beaterson and got him ready for a day on the towpaths tomorrow...really struggling with thinking of it as a beater at this point.

1.New brakes.
    2. new rear cable.
    3. New bar grips.
    4.clean and light service,
    5. Had the wheels straightened out by the lads in Thinkbike.
    6. Low profile Bont Ember lights and the previously shown Charge Spoon for sitting on.

Ready to rock...I hope.

20150531_212401.jpg
    20150531_212343.jpg
    20150531_212323.jpg
    20150531_212259.jpg

*I've no idea why all my photos are so shaky. Starting to worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Back in December, I wrote a rambling Felt Z6 to cure an annoying creak. I then waited for both Christmas to finish and the weather to improve so that I could cycle creak-free again.

Christmas did finish and the weather did improve (remember our summer in April?) but my creak remained. For the last 1,000 kms, the creak was all I could hear. How could I get rid of it for good?

Could it be the cables? Could the frame be cracked? What about the wheels - or the dropouts? Maybe the seatpost or the saddle? My Z6 has a generously-sized, tapered 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" headset, is kept indoors and used rarely in the wet so it couldn't be the headset bearings.

Or could it?

Today, I stripped the headset for the 3rd time. This time around, I went straight for the lower bearing. Despite the fact that the bearing seemed ok and I didn't feel any roughness, I pulled the seal out and noticed some signs of rust ... I washed out the contents with some aerosol blasts of silicon oil and then packed in lots of fresh grease before popping the seal back in. I then cleaned everything up and reassembled the headset. The fork is all carbon so I made use of my Topeak Torq Wrench to ensure I didn't get over-enthusiastic when tightening things up.

While I was at it, I replaced the Ultegra 10-speed chain (original lasted about 4,000 kms) and cleaned the drivetrain. I also gave the bike a good clean and then went for a quick spin.

No creak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fitted 2 new 2015 Campag Athena shifters and re-cabled the gears and brakes. New bar tape as well to finish it off. Looks really well and happier with the new 2015 Campag stuff - feels more solid than the original stuff that came with the bike..

Have a few more small jobs to complete before the W200

My wife's road bike is finally built, by myself :)

A bit of a frankenbike, new Sora shifters, Deore crankset, MTB cassette, etc... Either way I really like its unconventional looks, and more importantly so does She!

11427369_1120491094634781_898112268_n.jpg

Alek wrote: »
    My wife's road bike is finally built, by myself :)

A bit of a frankenbike, new Sora shifters, Deore crankset, MTB cassette, etc... Either way I really like its unconventional looks, and more importantly so does She!

11427369_1120491094634781_898112268_n.jpg

Is that the frame of the hated touring/commuting build?

Looks good but the true measure of success will be how long it takes her to n+1

Indeed it is - this frame turned out to be totally unsuitable for carrying any load in panniers, but shines on its own now :)

It is already her second bike, challenge completed! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Put a new seatpost on my road bike today - I just need to replace the frame, crankset and right shifter and it'll be a true Trigger's Broom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Well it was not all done today but We are finally ready for road. Before and after pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

HOw much of the bike did you have to replace?

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    HOw much of the bike did you have to replace?

The origional wheels and handlebars showed holes when I cleaned up the rust. So as I want to use it as a run around they had to be replaced.
    The Wheels . Cassette is the one from the wheels but its not the origional that would have come with the bike from the factory.
    Handlebars are used.
    Front break was missing and some of the back break was out of shape. These sourced used .
    Right Pedal.

My source was a fellow boardsie.

I have left any bangs and dents etc as I wanted to keep its history. Its a Humber Cob Roadster with Flexi Forks . You can see their double in the pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Managed to get a water bottle cage on. Looks a bit gammy on close inspection, but am hoping it wont it be noticeable to all but the most observant of critics.

CelticKnotReady_zpsndjl7ae9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Esroh wrote: »
    Well it was not all done today but We are finally ready for road. Before and after pics

Wow, that's an incredible job. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Would you consider a handlebar mounted cage? Might fit in with the aesthetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Thought about it..I figured the downtube clasp was the least worst option
    . Ideally, the downtube would be drilled for bosses.

Be a shame to drill it all the same. The clasp is well placed on the B, but does the long stem to the cage give any shaking/creaking?

I installed a rear reflector onto my mudguard to get all road legal before these FPN's come in, and a mudflap on my front mudguard to save cleaning down my crankset and shoes as often. I'll drill in the rear one as soon as Winter comes round.

18921930212_b9724716b8_n.jpg

18922098752_b52c7219c2_n.jpg

18739526580_118884b3c5.jpg

OldBean wrote: »
    Be a shame to drill it all the same. The clasp is well placed on the B, but does the long stem to the cage give any shaking/creaking?

I installed a rear reflector onto my mudguard to get all road legal before these FPN's come in, and a mudflap on my front mudguard to save cleaning down my crankset and shoes as often. I'll drill in the rear one as soon as Winter comes round.
    Oldbean. where did you get the mud flap. The front mudguard on my High Nelly had one in the past and I'd love to add it.

I got mine from Velo Orange in the US (Fresh Tripe are their biggest UK dealers) but Brooks also have an option. In my opinion, the VO one is thicker, better quality, and isn't branded. If you've a stainless steel fender like mind, get some good drill bits, or at least cheap ones you won't mind chucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Managed to get a water bottle cage on. Looks a bit gammy on close inspection, but am hoping it wont it be noticeable to all but the most observant of critics.

CelticKnotReady_zpsndjl7ae9.jpg

there are much neater straps from zefal available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-Gizmo-Universal-Bottle-Mount/dp/B007VIDC7C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^^
    If I owned that Bianchi, I would die of thirst, rather than leave that bottle cage on it.
    It spoils the beauty of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought cheap tyres (15.00) for my racer yesterday and was told by everybody they were going to be useless for my prep for ring of Kerry .

Today after my ride was cut short with tyre bulge I went out and bought 40 euro tyres .

Will I ever learn ,...........:0(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought cheap tyres (15.00) for my racer yesterday and was told by everybody they were going to be useless for my prep for ring of Kerry .

Today after my ride was cut short with tyre bulge I went out and bought 40 euro tyres .

What were the cheap tyres and what are the €40 tyres you bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Depends on what you spent the 40 euros on ;)

Advertisement