Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathroom Extactor?

• 06-02-2016 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

In Ireland is it normal to have a vent going to the outside with a bathroom fan, same as in a kitchen?

It's an old farmhouse and recently had an extractor put in to the kitchen with outside vent.

He fitted the bathroom extractor today but there is no vent added to the wall outside, surely this will lead to mold in the attic and roofing?

He's coming back to fit a few street lights and I'm thinking of insisting an outside vent is added, would I be in the right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, an extractor fan is useless without an outside vent, otherwise you're just blowing damp air around the place. You say he 'fitted' the bathroom extractor today, where is the expelled air going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, an extractor fan is useless without an outside vent, otherwise you're just blowing damp air around the place. You say he 'fitted' the bathroom extractor today, where is the expelled air going?

Into the attic with the hose I assume left near the edge of the roof.

I've been to two neighbours today who had their bathroom remodelled by different contractors under the government grants and it's the same setup as mine. It's a very odd practise, are not you not going to end up with damp and mold eating the joists of the roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mourinho wrote: »
    Into the attic with the hose I assume left near the edge of the roof.

I've been to two neighbours today who had their bathroom remodelled by different contractors under the government grants and it's the same setup as mine. It's a very odd practise, are not you not going to end up with damp and mold eating the joists of the roof?
    It has to be extracted directly to the open air whether that be through a wall or in your case through the attic but with the flexi pipe then turned downed and out through the soffit where you should see the cover plate/grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

muffler wrote: »
    It has to be extracted directly to the open air whether that be through a wall or in your case through the attic but with the flexi pipe then turned downed and out through the soffit where you should see the cover plate/grill.

I'm not arguing but our extractor vents to the attic too.

Nope went up now to have a look and the hose is pulled up and to the side as in actually left there....

No outside grill or anything. The other two houses by two different lads the exact same just the pipe left there near edge of roof in the attic.

The steam is def gonna just waft around the attic.

• Advertisement

Mourinho wrote: »
    Nope went up now to have a look and the hose is pulled up and to the side as in actually left there....

No outside grill or anything. The other two houses by two different lads the exact same just the pipe left there near edge of roof in the attic.

The steam is def gonna just waft around the attic.
    You said it yourself in an earlier post that its just going to rot the **** out of the roof timbers. This wont happen overnight, over weeks or months but certainly over a period of years. It doesn't matter how well ventilated the attic is, a sporadic or sustained amount of warm vapour entering it will cause serious problems so its better spending maybe 60 - 80 quid extra now than spend tens of thousands in years to come.

You said it yourself in an earlier post that its just going to rot the **** out of the roof timbers. This wont happen overnight, over weeks or months but certainly over a period of years. It doesn't matter how well ventilated the attic is, a sporadic or sustained amount of warm vapour entering it will cause serious problems so its better spending maybe 60 - 80 quid extra now than spend tens of thousands in years to come.

Oh that's for sure I will be insisting he bring a longer hose to the inside of the gable wall and fit a vent, I bought it earlier and all.

One good thing is by going up looking at it I've finally found a pesky leak that was causing a drop down on and off with ages, thankfully just a small piece of mould in the hardwall ceiling, not the timbers, so that has to be seen to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Depending on how old it is but the roof joists are likely treated for rot.

Warm moisture laden air going into a cold attic is not something you want - ever, I hope you haven't paid this cowboy yet. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Mine is just left un-vented in the attic. Checked it recently and discovered it was full of water. Excessive mould in ensuite also. Seems wrong to me.

Getting it vented out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭greasepalm

as like mine just left into attic so will now get fitted externally cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Does it need to be clarified that there is a difference between the flexible ducting terminating inside the attic or terminating into the eaves. My eaves are sealed with white plastic panels with perforated sections every metre or so. Were any of my ducts terminated into this ventilated void there wouldn't be an obvious vent like in a wall, yet this void is likely ventilated enough that there would be no problems venting a bathroom extractor to it. Certainly nowhere near as much of a problem as simply venting inside the attic proper. ( now in my actual case my bathroom extractors vent out of roof vent tiles)

The point is, has OP followed the extractor ducting to its end. Is that end just lying on the attic floor (Very Bad) or does he see the ducting traveling to the eaves but he just can't see an obvious conventional flappy vent on the outside of his house (not necessarily bad at all)

There's another recent thread here where someone vented his bedroom ventilation up into the attic and to this eaves void so as to avoid ugly vents on the wall and wind and noise blowing straight at/through wall vents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The ideal solution but probably only a runner with a new build is a vented roof tile.

To describe it in detail. A new upstairs room with walk in wardrobe was added years back, the room floor is over the bathroom ceiling.

So the hole was made, hose pushed up maybe 2 feet worth and it's simply sitting on the drywall ceiling between two joists and under the floor of the extension.

So the air will waft up through the timber floor of the upstairs room that was added over bathroom.

The only way I can see if bring a longer hose out along from this area (maybe an extra 3 feet) which would bring it out from under the floor and wall of the new room and into the free attic space and then with a slight bend attach it to the gable wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I had a similar kind of issue. Mould all over our en suite ceiling. I had painted over it a few times, but it still reappeared. This time I got a proper paint with a sealant built in.

But I also got up into the attic properly and spotted the hose from the extractor fan was not connected to it. It was bloody awkward as it was right under the centre of the water tank , so with the tips of my fingers I hooked her up. Hopefully it will stay connected. The flexible hose does lead to an outlet in the roof. However I do notice the wind howling a lot more in our en suite. Could this be to do with the hose just going straight up? There is no down turn as you mention here but then again ours does not go out through the soffit though.

Incidentally, I was also adding extra insulation in our attic. There was absolutely no insulation over our ensuite. It's in the dead centre of the house. Is there a reason for this? I stuck in a good bit, so hopefully I haven't done something I shouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Seve OB wrote: »
    Incidentally, I was also adding extra insulation in our attic. There was absolutely no insulation over our ensuite. It's in the dead centre of the house. Is there a reason for this? I stuck in a good bit, so hopefully I haven't done something I shouldn't have.
    It is normal to not have insulation under the water tank if that's where it was.
    It allows some heat up from the house and stops it freezing.

Seve OB wrote: »
    I had a similar kind of issue. Mould all over our en suite ceiling. I had painted over it a few times, but it still reappeared. This time I got a proper paint with a sealant built in.

But I also got up into the attic properly and spotted the hose from the extractor fan was not connected to it. It was bloody awkward as it was right under the centre of the water tank , so with the tips of my fingers I hooked her up. Hopefully it will stay connected. The flexible hose does lead to an outlet in the roof. However I do notice the wind howling a lot more in our en suite. Could this be to do with the hose just going straight up? There is no down turn as you mention here but then again ours does not go out through the soffit though.

To avoid a draught coming back through the flexi pipe you should fit one of these. It would probably take less than 10 minutes.

Regarding insulation you were right to put down as much as you could. 300mm thick is recommended btw. Just make sure you dont block any vents at the eaves and as Steve quite rightly pointed out make sure you omit the insulation from below the water tank...run it up and over the tank. Ideally you should get a bit of shuttering ply slightly bigger than the tank (wrap in plastic first) and use it to cover the tank. This allows for running the insulation on top of the tank and also helps prevent dust and flies etc from entering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Damn

I have to act like a contortionist again and get up and take away the insulation i stuffed under thr water tank :(

It wasnt just under the tank though. I was amazed at the number of spots without insulation around the attic. They really made it stretch! The difference in our front bedroom is unreal now. Best job i ever done.

Advertisement