Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel dowels or other

• 05-02-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for small steel dowels of a particular type.
    I basically want the dowel to protrude from a 4mm strap of metal without falling through the hole drilled for it. The dowel cannot protrude underneath (much) as it will interfere with another strap that crosses under it. The dowel will act as a pin to stop an object opening back too much.

In order of preference, I'm considering:
    1. dowel with step up from 4mm to 5mm in middle
    2. dowel that flares in the middle to a larger diameter
    3. split pin
    4. tapered dowel
    5. tap/thread/bolt

A tapered dowel wouldn't really be suitable as I wouldn't be able to accurately control the distance the dowel would protrude under the strap it will be inserted into and don't have access after insertion to trim it back.
    Neither can I tap the strap due to restricted access so that is out also.

Anyone know where I can get option 1 or 2. Will get some and try them out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

roll split pin. or tap it an put a bolt in it.

depends on the thickness of the strap you want to put the "dowel" into...
    4mm rod....Welding rod is 3.8 or 4.2mm.... knock the "slag" off it or a stainlees tig rod might work.

you could tig or silver solder (braze) it into place....

loads of options.....depends on whats to hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

4mm rod....Welding rod is 3.8 or 4.2mm.... knock the "slag" off it or a stainlees tig rod might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

jmrc wrote: »

Thanks jmrc.

Strap is 4mm and in a tight space. Can just about get drill in vertically to drill out a hole for the pin/dowel.
    I need to keep this DIY meaning welding/brazing is out for me plus proximity to expensive products so don't want to risk damage.

Wouldn't the metal in a welding rod be pretty soft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Roll pin 4mm, once in place it won't come out very easily.
    linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Roll pin 4mm, once in place it won't come out very easily.
    linky

I've roll pins on my list (I called them split pins in my first post because I thought that was what they were called). Have actually ordered some...but wondering how are they inserted into the hole. Do they have to be tapped in with a hammer or do you compress them (with pliers) and shove them in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Usually you tap them in, they would probably need something like a thin socket or a piece of pipe behind the strap to support it as they are fairly hard to beat in. Thats why they don't move once in place.

Advertisement