Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This post has been deleted.

I know you were trying to prove a point, but you went way over the line there. Not cool, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

An File wrote: »
    I know you were trying to prove a point, but you went way over the line there. Not cool, man.

According to this thread it's cool! I don't like it personally but there's precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There has been very little constructive posts in this thread (and this is another). It should have closed after Whoospies summery.

There is much about AH that I don't like and would gladly see those threads moved to the Cuckoos Nest (if only) so that I'd never have to see them again.

The OP asked if moderation was too much in AH. I think it is and that AH has become too sterile. A more irreverent posting style has a place.

To balance that though I think the mods should be allowed to hand out harsher bans with no appeals. If someone is being a dick they get banned for a length of time and they suck it up and wait out their ban without the whinging and hand-wringing.

Mods should also change users names whenever they feel like doing so.
    Oh and Seamus, thanks for the giggles, timing is king.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I assume you're joking??? :confused:

OldGoat wrote: »

Wha'???? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

There has been very little constructive posts in this thread (and this is another). It should have closed after Whoospies summery.

There is much about AH that I don't like and would gladly see those threads moved to the Cuckoos Nest (if only) so that I'd never have to see them again.

The OP asked if moderation was too much in AH. I think it is and that AH has become too sterile. A more irreverent posting style has a place.

To balance that though I think the mods should be allowed to hand out harsher bans with no appeals. If someone is being a dick they get banned for a length of time and they suck it up and wait out their ban without the whinging and hand-wringing.

Oh and Seamus, thanks for the giggles, timing is king.
    I actually love Boards - think it's a great website. Have tried to leave - always came back. But one thing I've always found irksome is sycophancy - like the above. Cringe.

As if anyone would be saying thanks for the giggles if that post was by a lesser know user or if it was directed at a more well known user.

People being insulting is a problem - rules lawyering certainly can often be used by people who want to act the dick (the "what about my free speech" brigade) - this makes it even less fair to make exceptions.

Rules lawyering is also used for mod actions for the sake of it. There's cases of posters carded over something very minor because by some interpretation of the rules they're in the wrong.

Azalea wrote: »
    I actually love Boards - think it's a great website. Have tried to leave - always came back. But one thing I've always found irksome is sycophancy - like the above. Cringe.
    If I had a desire for a particular outcome then sycopanth might have been a good call but as I have no axe to grind nor any favour to curry then perhaps my statement was simply appreciation of the example of an old school calling out that I miss around here. If AH moderation were relaxed then the post by Seamus would be a typical retort in the forum. He made a point and I got it, it amused me.

If I had a desire for a particular outcome then sycopanth might have been a good call but as I have no axe to grind nor any favour to curry then perhaps my statement was simply appreciation of the example of an old school calling out that I miss around here. If AH moderation were relaxed then the post by Seamus would be a typical retort in the forum. He made a point and I got it, it amused me.

You can't believe that......

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can't believe that......
    He called a spade a spade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I assume you're joking??? :confused:

You assume everything and rarely prove anything. That's your problem in this thread and in the previous Feedback thread you hijacked.

The man who would call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Racist.

Racist.
    I was kinda hoping the agriculture aspect might have kicked off a culchie/jackeen spat but I'll go with racist.

So in relation to the OP is the moderation going to be toned back in AH?

So in relation to the OP is the moderation going to be toned back in AH?
    I doubt it. This thread has shown that the users of the forum are trying to pull the forum in several directions at once and so the status will remain quo.
    The question that should have been asked is "What is AH for?". Perhaps with a clearer picture of what users want the mods might move in that direction but as you know we will all want different things. The AH I'd like would be very different from the AH others want. I like the serious threads. I hate the "Rate the poster above you" type nonsense. Others on the other hand feel that is exactly what AH should be, all frippery and banter.
    Thus the mods stay in the centre of things doing as mods always do taking the flack when it goes wrong and taking the flack when it dosen't.

my statement was simply appreciation of the example of an old school calling out that I miss around here. If AH moderation were relaxed then the post by Seamus would be a typical retort in the forum. He made a point and I got it, it amused me.
    What Boards have you been on since 2008? Insulting someone has never been deemed ok during those years, whether "calling out" or not. And then this claim that Seamus was "making a point" when he was merely throwing an insult at someone. Doublethink central.

Also, what's so terrible about what Eugene Norman said? It wasn't that bad now really - folks gotta step away from the bandwagon.

You assume everything and rarely prove anything. That's your problem in this thread and in the previous Feedback thread you hijacked.

So now we're posting personal opinions of Posters and their posting style because it doesn't suit your way of thinking?

Ok ......... based on your contribution to this thread and your negative attitude to Posters offering genuine feedback that you don't agree with on threads in the Feedback Forum you should be de-Modded as you're plainly not suited to the job, you should be banned from the Feedback Forum as you have nothing constructive to offer and you should be placed firmly on the Mod watch-list across Boards as you have displayed abusive tendencies when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So now we're posting personal opinions of Posters and their posting style because it doesn't suit your way of thinking?

Ok ......... based on your contribution to this thread and your negative attitude to Posters offering genuine feedback that you don't agree with on threads in the Feedback Forum you should be de-Modded as you're plainly not suited to the job, you should be banned from the Feedback Forum as you have nothing constructive to offer and you should be placed firmly on the Mod watch-list across Boards as you have displayed abusive tendencies when posting.

Now that's excessive moderation!

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Now that's excessive moderation!

If Mod's were monitored and treated the same as us "ordinary" Posters then An File would have racked up a rake of Warnings/Infractions (on the Feedback Forum alone!) and be banned at this stage ......... I went lightly on him in my "moderation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If Mod's were monitored and treated the same as us "ordinary" Posters then An File would have racked up a rake of Warnings/Infractions (on the Feedback Forum alone!) and be banned at this stage ......... I went lightly on him in my "moderation".

Ah piss off with peddling that crap.

It's you that makes ah boring and sterile with all this taking the rules literally.
    You're the reason we can't have nice things.

They should make reporting posts public so we can see who the perpetually ****ing offended are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Okay, so let's put you in the hypothetical position of moderator. You would not only permaban An File from the Feedback forum, you'd put him on a mod watchlist throughout Boards. For attacking the poster.

I presume you'd ask an Admin to do the same to yourself based on your own post?

All of the bolded are attacking the poster. You're commenting directly on the poster, and not his posts. So tell me, should you be banned from Feedback too for that post? Should I be banned for pointing this out?

Or, and this is the crux of the issue, should the spirit of the law be more important than the letter of the law, and should mods be able to use discretion where needed? Should the mods not issue cards/bans unless absolutely necessary even if a rule has been broken?

People are quick to jump to "BURN THE RULE-BREAKER" when it suits them, and "Ah sure it's only banter" when it doesn't. The role of the mod is to distinguish the serious breaches from the minor, based on history of the poster and tone of the post, and action accordingly. It was very clear from Seamus' post that it was an over-exaggerated joke comment to make a point about AH and moderation. Anyone calling for him to be carded/banned clearly doesn't understand the value of mod discretion and spirit of the law.

Azalea wrote: »
    What Boards have you been on since 2008? Insulting someone has never been deemed ok during those years, whether "calling out" or not.
    People have been insulting people on Boards from the very first thread. The fact that it's a breach of rules is moot. It happens every day. Wibbs, you a ****. See, there, it happened again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

People have been insulting people on Boards from the very first thread. The fact that it's a breach of rules is moot. It happens every day. Wibbs, you a ****. See, there, it happened again.

No. No. No.

'Insults'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Penn wrote: »
    Okay, so let's put you in the hypothetical position of moderator. You would not only permaban An File from the Feedback forum, you'd put him on a mod watchlist throughout Boards. For attacking the poster.

I presume you'd ask an Admin to do the same to yourself based on your own post?

All of the bolded are attacking the poster. You're commenting directly on the poster, and not his posts. So tell me, should you be banned from Feedback too for that post? Should I be banned for pointing this out?

Or, and this is the crux of the issue, should the spirit of the law be more important than the letter of the law, and should mods be able to use discretion where needed? Should the mods not issue cards/bans unless absolutely necessary even if a rule has been broken?

People are quick to jump to "BURN THE RULE-BREAKER" when it suits them, and "Ah sure it's only banter" when it doesn't. The role of the mod is to distinguish the serious breaches from the minor, based on history of the poster and tone of the post, and action accordingly. It was very clear from Seamus' post that it was an over-exaggerated joke comment to make a point about AH and moderation. Anyone calling for him to be carded/banned clearly doesn't understand the value of mod discretion and spirit of the law.

Seamus post is a one off, every normal user is aware of the other users history on feedback etc.
    There is a huge gulf between the admins and the normal user in terms of tolerated behaviour and their respective visions for the site (remember when this was all lolcats), like it or not I would guess that a lot of the appeal of boards is an attempt at mutual respect between the users and the site authorities because it sure as hell isn't the most dynamic funny or informative site somebody can use (and I like here)

Ah piss off with peddling that crap.

It's you that makes ah boring and sterile with all this taking the rules literally.
    You're the reason we can't have nice things.

They should make reporting posts public so we can see who the perpetually ****ing offended are.
    Relax with the rage there (An File too), you'll do yourself damage. He's only referring to the rules being enforced and then suddenly the rules not applying when it suits those who usually enforce them.

OldGoat, I must have imagined the "Attack the post, not the poster" mantra, regularly repeated over the years.

No. No. No.

'Insults'
    Point taken, you are right. Wibbs knows I'd just been taking the piss rather than insulting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rules lawyering is also used for mod actions for the sake of it. There's cases of posters carded over something very minor because by some interpretation of the rules they're in the wrong.

That's why I don't really like zero tolerance rules, extreme cases are treated the same as somebody innocently not knowing a rule. In forums like soccer it is needed though because of biased posters.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

So we're free to use comments like Seamus if our intent is to make a point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement