Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating Control Upgrade

• 20-04-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Currently in my house(largish farmhouse) I have a boiler that is just timed off a rudimentary timing switch that plugs in to a socket!!
    I was thinking of the SEI grants for upgrading this and I think it would make an awful lot of sense to do it.
    Current oil fired heating system, heats all radiators(6 upstairs),(7 downstairs) and cylinder.
    I'm going to approach the recommended contractors to talk more about options.
    Just wondering as someone that know nothing about these things is there anything I should be aware of?
    I'm in the Laois area if anyone wants to recommend a contractor!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I know nothing about the grants - but for control:

2 Zone controls thermostats - upstairs and downstairs rads basically thermostat are wired back to a solenoid valve that opens
    Thermostatic rad valve per radiator
    7 day electronic boiler timer

TBH the zone stats may need a major plumping change, if so, don't bother, but get a high end TRVs

A cylinder stat to control the temperature of the Water would be a must and as Borzoi wrote zoning with room stats, zone valves and TRV's would be the way to go as the more control you have over your heat requirements the more precise your fuel usage would be(no wasting oil over heating rooms you're not in), the thing to remember with TRV's is not to fit them in the same room as a room stat(they will argue with each other) and not to fit TRV's on all rads leave one as a bypass normally bathroom rad, also have a look at your radiator water if it's black have it chemically flushed and a inhibitor added afterwords, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIMMYBOND007

talk to heat services in mouthrath,owner also owns and runs a collage called metac in mouthrath the best in europe,so they know what they are doing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TBH the zone stats may need a major plumping change, if so, don't bother, but get a high end TRVs
    TRVs are a good idea, they are quick and simple to fit. They will give a better level of control and save you money.

Zone stats connected properly to zone valves are well worth it. That way you can heat specific areas to specific temperatures. It would be normal for example to heat bedrooms (about 19deg.C) to a lower temperature than sitting rooms (about 21 deg.C). There is also the option of switching off areas that are not in use. The other advantage is that if all of the zones have been brought up to the required temperature then the boiler will switch off. All of this will save you money. One wiring method that shows you this is shown below (taken from the electrical forum):

Fishdog_Heating_Control.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

A little off topic perhaps, but here is my tale of the SEI scheme.

I applied for the grant when it went live and got my approval almost immediately for the heating control upgrades. I contacted 3 contractors who all expressed interest in quoting for the job and arrangements were made by all 3 to call to my house for a gander at my system.

Only one contractor bothered his ar$e to call. He quoted me €1300 for the job. I thought it was a bit on the expensive side so I rang around a few plumbing suppliers for prices on the required hardware.

The total cost for the bits would be about €300 :mad:. I'm no plumber but I reckon there is about a days work involved. Thats €1,000 labour for the day - not bad money if you can get it :rolleyes:.

So I'm going to do the work myself and save the state and myself €500 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi Podge3 - resurrecting a v.old thread here. Just wondering/could you share how you got on back in '09 "So I'm going to do the work myself".

My current set up is an oil fired boiler with manual 24 hour timer/on-off option. My DHW tank is not controlled seperately and there is a manual off/on timer controlling it.Just looking at what me options are? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

coxy123 wrote: »
    Hi Podge3 - resurrecting a v.old thread here. Just wondering/could you share how you got on back in '09 "So I'm going to do the work myself".

My current set up is an oil fired boiler with manual 24 hour timer/on-off option. My DHW tank is not controlled seperately and there is a manual off/on timer controlling it.Just looking at what me options are? Thanks.

You won't be entitled to any grant if you carry out the works yourself. Plus, it's not a diy job

Advertisement