Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male waxing questions

Options
  • 03-02-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

getting waxed next week for a holiday (chest and back) just wondering is there anything to do beforehand ? eg trimming the hairs , showering before i get it done etc ? Also what could i use to prevent the redness after it

anyone that knows about stuff point me in the right direction lol :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'm female but I'm sure the same rules apply!

Don't trim the hair, if you trim it too short they won't be able to wax it effectively. If it's too long they can trim it to a better length.

Don't shower, it'll soften your skin and make it more difficult for the wax to grab the hair. It could also cause you to bruise more easily.

I'd recommend exfoliating at least 24 hours before your wax. This will prevent ingrown hairs.

After the wax, avoid hot showers for at least a couple of hours. Don't wear tight clothing and don't do anything that will cause excess sweating.

Don't apply any creams/lotions for at least 24 hours. They could clog the pores and cause spots.

To help bring down the redness you could have a cool shower but the it should fade by itself after about 24 hours anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Valentina wrote: »
    I'm female but I'm sure the same rules apply!

Don't trim the hair, if you trim it too short they won't be able to wax it effectively. If it's too long they can trim it to a better length.

Don't shower, it'll soften your skin and make it more difficult for the wax to grab the hair. It could also cause you to bruise more easily.

I'd recommend exfoliating at least 24 hours before your wax. This will prevent ingrown hairs.

After the wax, avoid hot showers for at least a couple of hours. Don't wear tight clothing and don't do anything that will cause excess sweating.

Don't apply any creams/lotions for at least 24 hours. They could clog the pores and cause spots.

To help bring down the redness you could have a cool shower but the it should fade by itself after about 24 hours anyway.

thanks should have added female help also applies lol :) by exfoliating do u mean like an exfoliating glove in the shower or some sort of scrub ? (sorry im not knowledgeable with all this haha )

24 hours , really :) nice i taught id be red as a tomato for at least 3-5 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

pudzey101 wrote: »
    thanks should have added female help also applies lol :) by exfoliating do u mean like an exfoliating glove in the shower or some sort of scrub ? (sorry im not knowledgeable with all this haha )

Yep a scrub or the gloves will do. I wouldn't do both as it could irritate too much. If you don't have a scrub you can make some by adding sugar or sea salt to olive oil.
    24 hours , really :) nice i taught id be red as a tomato for at least 3-5 days :)

In my experience. :) Just make sure you avoid everything mentioned above. Have a cool shower if you're worried about redness, it really will help. Just wait a few hours after the wax to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I take 2 painkillers before getting a bikini wax. Feminax is great, it's got caffeine, codeine, and a muscle relaxer (it's now what my boyfriend uses for a hangover cure) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If the hair is really long you can trim it, just don't trim it too short. If it doubt, leave it alone and the therapist can cut it if needs be. If the hair is too long it can become matted and hurt a little bit more.

Go for waxperts or lycon waxing. It's a larger area so will cost a little more but a hot wax (that is peeled off) is better on stronger courser hair and the hair doesn't tend to break or get distorted as much as strip waxing.
    Waxperts salons don't double dip so it's the guaranteed most hygienic.

Exfoliate the day before you're waxed, and on the day make sure your skin is free of oil/moisturiser.

No heat, saunas steam rooms hot showers etc on the area for 24 hours, wear loose clothes to your appointment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If the hair is really long you can trim it, just don't trim it too short. If it doubt, leave it alone and the therapist can cut it if needs be. If the hair is too long it can become matted and hurt a little bit more.

Go for waxperts or lycon waxing. It's a larger area so will cost a little more but a hot wax (that is peeled off) is better on stronger courser hair and the hair doesn't tend to break or get distorted as much as strip waxing.
    Waxperts salons don't double dip so it's the guaranteed most hygienic.

Exfoliate the day before you're waxed, and on the day make sure your skin is free of oil/moisturiser.

No heat, saunas steam rooms hot showers etc on the area for 24 hours, wear loose clothes to your appointment

Advertisement