Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Praia Da Rocha

• 26-04-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi heading to Praia Da Rocha in a few weeks time and was wondering whats it like? As it my first time in Portugal do i need any Visas/documents before i go? Any tips on what to do and see would also be helpful if anyone has been there recently? I am also looking for a private transfer from Faro airport so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Beautiful place, very family orientated imo.

The beach in PDR is fabulous but there's very steep steps down onto it, they're unavoidable from what I could see and I was 6 months pregnant when I was there so, a bit of a pain.. but that was my only complaint.

We've been meaning to go back there actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Concur about the steps to the beach but somethings are just worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Lots of stuff close by to visit. If you have a car the it'll open up quite a bit for you. Algar Seco is about ten mins away, really lovely cliffs that you can jump into the sea from and there's a very nice restaurant there too that's well worth a visit. Alvor isn't very far either, lovely little town with a very nice beach. Vilamoura is about a half hour from PDR but it's well worth the trip out, really nice marina area with lots of bars and restaurants around it.

Slide and splash is about 5 mins away and that's the better of the two water parks IMO (Aqualand ain't quite as good). Then the likes of Zoo Marine and Aquashow are closer to Albuferia, Zoo Marine is really good fun. There's a really cool shop called Angel Pilot in Quatera (5 mins from PDR) and you can go on quad bike trips with them. It's really good fun, we went as far as Silves and got to see the castle and stuff. There was 2 adults and 2 kids between 2 quads when I done it, everyone loved it!

If you manage to get to Alvor then make it your business to go to Vagabonds, my favourite restaurant in the Algarve, and I've been quite a few times!

Edit: just noticed the transfers bit so I assume you guys ain't driving. We used to get a bus to Carvoireo (mins from PDR) for about 20-25 return per person. It costs about 100 quid to rent a small car for the week so we've done that the last few times

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

Lovely presidente apartments are nice stayed there twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

For private transfers - yellowfish have really good reviews on trip advisor. If you go to their site you can get a quote and book it. Apparently you get a free bottle of wine if you book your return transfer. Air con, free wifi, efficient etc.

I have a coach transfer as part of my holiday package to Portugal in June but I'm seriously considering booking a private transfer with yellowfish as we will have been travelling since 2am with a toddler and I don't want to be stuck on a coach for an hour

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    For private transfers - yellowfish have really good reviews on trip advisor. If you go to their site you can get a quote and book it. Apparently you get a free bottle of wine if you book your return transfer. Air con, free wifi, efficient etc.

I have a coach transfer as part of my holiday package to Portugal in June but I'm seriously considering booking a private transfer with yellowfish as we will have been travelling since 2am with a toddler and I don't want to be stuck on a coach for an hour

Do they guarantee getting you to your place in less than an hour? I've gotten transfers myself before to Carvoireo (which is closer to Faro than PDR) and sometimes it takes longer than an hour depending on how many others are on your bus. PDR is about 35-40 min drive from Faro iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Do they guarantee getting you to your place in less than an hour? I've gotten transfers myself before to Carvoireo (which is closer to Faro than PDR) and sometimes it takes longer than an hour depending on how many others are on your bus. PDR is about 35-40 min drive from Faro iirc

Since they put the toll on the motorway which is ~€10 one way a lot carriers go the old road which will take an hour or slightly more during busy hours in the day.

ger664 wrote: »
    Since they put the toll on the motorway which is ~€10 one way a lot carriers go the old road which will take an hour or slightly more during busy hours in the day.

Yeah they were there last time I was there, think it cost us 7.50, took about 40 mins and we took the old road back which took about 55 mins but it wasn't in rush hour by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Would highly recommend yellow fish transfers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamda

I have booked with Resorthoppa for transfer from Faro to Vilamoura. I booked with the same company for a Mallorca Palma transfer some years back that went without a hitch. Use code WOW15 for discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hi there,

Havent been to PDR in a few years but am heading in a few weeks.

Thanks for mentioning Vagabonds restaurant, looks lovely!!!

Advertisement