Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Tourists perspective what are the 20 nicest views in or places in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am an Irish person working in hospitality and want to know what Tourists to Ireland think are the nicest places in Ireland and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

well, considering this is an Irish forum, I don't know how many replies you're going to get from actual "tourists".
    Personally, from my recollection these are some of my best views:
    • There's a restaurant and tourist shop near Ballyvaughan (now seems to be called "Burren Housse" in Google Maps and marked as Whitethorn Holiday Homes). Was at a wedding meal there a few years ago and the view of the sea from the restaurant is fabulous!
    • Any of my family that has visited have all been awed by the Cliffs of Moher. We take it for granted, but they really are very impressive.
    • View from the rooms in the Ice House Hotel in Ballina. Very placid river and lovely view of the banks across the way.
    • The Pontoon Bridge hotel has some amazing view across the lake.
    Best places to visit, well most coastal places in Ireland are beautiful: Kerry, Burren, West Galway, Mayo, Achill Island, Donegal... (Haven't been East of the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

I'm not a tourist myself but I have some Canadian and English family and the places they have enjoyed the most are Powerscourt Gardens in Enniskerry and Glendalough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

On a sunny summers day, nothing beats a trip out to the Aran Islands.
    Rent a bike and cycle out to Dún Aengus. View from edge is wonderful.

Westport is also a great place for a night or two.

Dingle and a trip out to the gaeltacht is lovely and wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lough Tay in Wicklow...

WIC031_watermark_image.jpg

Downpatrick Head (Mayo)
    downpatrick-head-swells.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michael2012

Thanks to everyone for their reply's so far, some really great suggestions and the photos are surreal!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Cooley peninsula is very pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I am an Irish person working in hospitality and want to know what Tourists to Ireland think are the nicest places in Ireland and why?

As you're working in hospitality yourself (presumably in Ireland), do you not have the opportunity to find this out first hand by speaking with tourists directly, even in an informal & chatty kinda way?

Some good suggestions above btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Lough Tay in Wicklow...

Hi! Wherabouts is Lough Tay in Wicklow? I love hiking at the weekend but I've never come across this place, it looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

wolfen wrote: »
    Lough Tay in Wicklow...

Hi! Wherabouts is Lough Tay in Wicklow? I love hiking at the weekend but I've never come across this place, it looks amazing!
    http://goo.gl/maps/4Zfec

Photo is taken from the right of the lake as you look at the map.

Here's a great walk in the area I'd reccomend (although maybe wait untile the weather clears up
    http://www.wicklowwalks.com/knocknacloghoge-lough-dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Sally gap, about 5 mins from the ballinastoe end, you'll see a carpark on the right up a hill, park there and you cant miss the lake

edit/ https://www.google.ie/maps/preview/@53.104556,-6.254886,3a,75y,329.83h,72.91t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2YW3ySnjFY5XDLZcRyTR7Q!2e0

you'll see the carpark and lake from google maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Lough Tay in Wicklow...

it's a beautiful spot but private property so you can't walk down or around, however just about 500 yards from where that picture is taken going south, there is a metal gate (closed for cars but you're allowed to walk down). go down and to the left around the keepers house, and there is a trail there that goes all the way down to lough Dan. Lots of walks from there up the hills or around the lough. Fantastic place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The Beara Peninsula in Co. Kerry. Its the next door neighbour to the Iveragh Peninsula (Ring of Kerry) so it doesn't get the same attention (or crowds).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Lough Tay is superb alright. If you keep going up that road to the Sally Gap itself, and then turn left, you'll end up coming out at the top of a valley, with a waterfall to your right and a sheep farm in the valley below. Another beautiful view, with a lay-by to park in as well. Can't work a street view link, but the co-ordinates are 53.066183,-6.33828

If you want to suggest a route or a half-day trip, start in Glendalough, head up the Old Military Road towards the Sally Gap (for the valley view), turn right at the gap (heading towards the Lough Tay view), turn left when you get to the main road, take the next right (at Djouce Golf Club) and follow the road all the way to the end, where you come to the Grove Bar. Lovely spot for a pint at the end of a day in the hills. Particularly popular on late Saturday afternoon amongst people coming back from a bit of hiking.

You can easily tag on Powerscourt, Enniskerry (including Knocksink Woods), the Sugar Loaf, Devil's Glen and even Kilmurray Cottages (the view to the Sugar Loaf on the country road between Delgany and Kilmacanogue - 53.163755,-6.121458) for Wicklow alone.

As others, not a tourist. Just happen to live in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I love the view from The Natural History Museum down to the Pepper Cannister church, also the view from the top of Killiney Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ruginator

Video done by an Canadian couple travelling around ireland, has everything the country has to offer, simply epic video.

http://vimeo.com/69986476

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The Conor Pass in Kerry on a fine day has spectacular views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Carlingford county louth beautiful views over the lough at the mourne
    mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

http://www.coppercoastgeopark.com/

Loved this drive to Tramore in Waterford, reminded me of Great Ocean Road albeit much shorter...some fantastic views in sun or rain

Advertisement