Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangkok and Bali

• 06-12-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good time of year to visit both Bangkok (Thailand) and Bali (Indonesia) in the same trip to avoid the rainy season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, I've been to both in march/ April and its hot u might get a shower in Bali but its a welcome relief...happy travels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I can't speak for Bali as I've never been there; however in Bangkok the middle of November to January are the best times to visit as it will be the coolest but still pretty hot. October is the rainiest month to visit Thailand.

The thing is both Bali and Thailand are both tropical climates which means there is no great variation in temperature but there can be a variation in humidity and rainfall and higher humidity magnifies the heat feeling. I have been to Bangkok three times over the last three years in February, March, April, June and July, I experienced the most heat during April and February was the most pleasant month I found. June had the most rain.

Most of the rain is just a huge cloudburst of total tropical downpour for maybe upto half an hour and then it dries up again, after 1 hour you'd hardly know it had rained. There is none of the sort os messy weather we get here where it could drizzle on for several days and be spotty showers. It will rain extremely heavy for short periods and that will be it.

I shot these videos in the region over the last few years, fairly typical of the weather there.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

Hi, I've been to both in march/ April and its hot u might get a shower in Bali but its a welcome relief...happy travels

Thanks for the message. Would you recommend visiting Bangkok and the Gili Islands in February? I want to celebrate Chinese New Year in Bangkok next year.

Hi, the gill islands are lovely if your going to head there try and book a place to stay good bit before you arrive as the islands have become very busy. 2to3 nights would do there, as for Bali try and stay away from the kuta area it's just one built up traffic jam.

Hi, the gill islands are lovely if your going to head there try and book a place to stay good bit before you arrive as the islands have become very busy. 2to3 nights would do there, as for Bali try and stay away from the kuta area it's just one built up traffic jam.

Thanks for the message, just to give me an idea of what Gili Islands will like in February, do you know how much rain will fall per hour and per week in the second week in February? We intend to spend 4 days of our honeymoon at Gili Islands and sunbathing is high on the list. February looks great for Thailand.

• Advertisement

Hi, it's still rainy season so u might not get rain in a day, an hours rain or could rain for awhile, it will be hot and humid, if looking for an island with plenty of sun maybe head to ko Chang in Thailand or Phu quoc in Vietnam both are lovely islands and starting to become touristy. If You like phu quoc Island Maybe spend a day or two in Ho Chi Minh City which has loads to do and i find it better than Bangkok and cheaper. Hope this helps and have a great honeymoon.

Hi, it's still rainy season so u might not get rain in a day, an hours rain or could rain for awhile, it will be hot and humid, if looking for an island with plenty of sun maybe head to ko Chang in Thailand or Phu quoc in Vietnam both are lovely islands and starting to become touristy. If You like phu quoc Island Maybe spend a day or two in Ho Chi Minh City which has loads to do and i find it better than Bangkok and cheaper. Hope this helps and have a great honeymoon.

We want to travel from the Gili Islands to Khao Sok National Park in Thailand, what is the fastest way to fly? Bali to Krabi or Bali to Phuket? Or another route?

Hi again, flying Bali to Phuket would be your best way and travel up to the national park from there, have a look at airasia for the cheapest price but youll have to pass through Bangkok Singapore or kl, all depends on flight times and what suits ye.

Hi again, flying Bali to Phuket would be your best way and travel up to the national park from there, have a look at airasia for the cheapest price but youll have to pass through Bangkok Singapore or kl, all depends on flight times and what suits ye.

We have decided to fly Bangkok to Surat Thani and we'll take the bus to the park. Do we need jabs to visit the park or any of the cities in Thailand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You dont really need jabs for thailand...you'd be very unlikely to contract malaria for example.

Maybe get a tetanus booster in cas you cut yourself over there.

I wil say though,wash your hands *a lot* over there...some toilet facilities can leave a lot to be desired and dont feed or pet dogs you see hanging around...they're walking with parasites including hook worms.

• Advertisement

The many times ive been and past through Thailand ive never had jabs just used malaria tablets and plenty of mozzie spray, but in saying that each to there own other people will tell you to get every jab under the sun, up to yourselves. As above says just be careful of the local animals you'll be grand and carry a bog roll with you for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hi OP, good advice here already but just thought I'd add that the monsoons are no big deal. I was in Malaysia and Thailand at the height of rainy season and it didn't affect our holiday one bit. We got caught in a monsoon on Phi Phi, absolutely drowned wet, and had forgotten all about it about half an hour later. It just dries right up. Don't let it affect your plans too much, is all I'd advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PJ4 wrote: »
    We have decided to fly Bangkok to Surat Thani and we'll take the bus to the park. Do we need jabs to visit the park or any of the cities in Thailand?

Hep A and Typhoid would be the basic jabs. You really shouldn't travel to Asia without them. If you've already had them you might not need them again yet.

Thanks for the advice. Will take Malaria tablets and mozzie spray in the rucksack, having second thoughts about the jabs now, because of the cost and whether we really need them?

Can anyone recommend a tree house or bungalow accommendation at Gili Islands?

Hep A and Typhoid would be the basic jabs. You really shouldn't travel to Asia without them. If you've already had them you might not need them again yet.

Is it true that you can only catch these diseases through contaminated food or water? If we take care and avoid eating food from the street markets, don't drink tap water or have ice in our drinks we should avoid these diseases? The doctor said it will cost €140 for these two jabs, this is very expensive €380 for both of us and I'm questioning myself now whether we really need them. I know the malaria tablets and mozzie strays are important and I will take these. I've been to Beijing and never got the jabs and ate out at a lot of restaurants and was fine.

Is it true that you can only catch these diseases through contaminated food or water? If we take care and avoid eating food from the street markets, don't drink tap water or have ice in our drinks we should avoid these diseases? The doctor said it will cost €140 for these two jabs, this is very expensive €380 for both of us and I'm questioning myself now whether we really need them. I know the malaria tablets and mozzie strays are important and I will take these. I've been to Beijing and never got the jabs and ate out at a lot of restaurants and was fine.

You dont need those jabs unless you plan to drink local tapwater,water from lakes and rivers or bath in human waste. As for Hep...you wont catch it unless you get mixed up with somebody else's blood...ie share needles or get tatoos in a dirty studio.

The food from street vendors is usually safe to eat the big thing is the toilet facilities...there's no paper usually but a pressure hose or a basin of water to wash your regions....wash,wash,wash your hands.

chopper6 wrote: »
    You dont need those jabs unless you plan to drink local tapwater,water from lakes and rivers or bath in human waste. As for Hep...you wont catch it unless you get mixed up with somebody else's blood...ie share needles or get tatoos in a dirty studio.

The food from street vendors is usually safe to eat the big thing is the toilet facilities...there's no paper usually but a pressure hose or a basin of water to wash your regions....wash,wash,wash your hands.

Thanks this is what I needed to hear, I was in Chile last year and I didn't get jabs and was fine. I'll also pack plenty of hand sanitizer for the hands.

Thanks this is what I needed to hear, I was in Chile last year and I didn't get jabs and was fine. I'll also pack plenty of hand sanitizer for the hands.

Surprisingly the ice is usually okay too...it's up to you but i've never had any problems.

The many times ive been and past through Thailand ive never had jabs just used malaria tablets and plenty of mozzie spray, but in saying that each to there own other people will tell you to get every jab under the sun, up to yourselves. As above says just be careful of the local animals you'll be grand and carry a bog roll with you for emergencies.

Thanks, as for the malaria tablets I went to Boots today and they told me they were prescription only. I was given a quote of €90.08 for Malarone 250MG/100MG tablets, which seemed expensive. Can you tell me what tablets you have taken and how much they cost?

• Advertisement

Thanks, as for the malaria tablets I went to Boots today and they told me they were prescription only. I was given a quote of €90.08 for Malarone 250MG/100MG tablets, which seemed expensive. Can you tell me what tablets you have taken and how much they cost?

You can by malaria tablets far cheaper without prescription in SE asia...wait til you get there and forget about the gouging irish Chemist.

How do you know where the food was washed?

Utterly stupid advice. Hep B is contracted from body fluids, Hep A from everyday contamination.

Listen to your doctor.

You can by malaria tablets far cheaper without prescription in SE asia...wait til you get there and forget about the gouging irish Chemist.

You can't buy malarone in Thailand.

How do you know where the food was washed? .

Diptheria cannot survive cooking.

Utterly stupid advice. Hep B is contracted from body fluids, Hep A from everyday contamination.

Listen to your doctor.

And does everybody in thailand have Hep A?

I've certainly never caught it and neither have the dozens of people i know who live there or have travelled there for decades.

And by all means listen to your doctor....when you're sick.

The chances are a GP knows nothing about illness in tropical countries and is merely doing a job of work in selling you unnecessary prophalaxis.

You can't buy malarone in Thailand.

You can buy anti malarial drugs that people use and that work...one brand is as good as another.

Even quinine water(in your tonic) acts as an anti malarial.

Malaria is extremely rare in most of thailand anyway,it's only common in the regions round Laos and Burma.

Diptheria cannot survive cooking.

And does everybody in thailand have Hep A?

Who mentioned Diptheria?

You don't get Hep A from people. If you're going to post have some idea of what you're talking about.

You can buy anti malarial drugs that people use and that work...one brand is as good as another.

Even quinine water(in your tonic) acts as an anti malarial.

Malaria is extremely rare in most of thailand anyway,it's only common in the regions round Laos and Burma.

He's going to Bali. Read the thread.

He's going to Bali. Read the thread.
    Can anyone recommend a good time of year to visit both Bangkok (Thailand)

He's also going to Thailand.

Read the thread.

Advertisement