Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best city breaks

• 23-01-2014 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

So my friend and I are looking for a really good city break in Europe and wondering about the best destinations. We were in Krakow fairly recently and loved it. We'll be going to Prague next year because my sister will be moving there for erasmus so I'm looking for ideas other than that one. Also I live in Edinburgh so the UK isn't really in contention for a holiday. Essentially, I'd love a place that has brilliant night life as well as interesting historical tourist attractions. Has anyone any good suggestions or experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Krakow would have been one of my first suggestions, cant really think past Berlin to be honest for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

Krakow would have been one of my first suggestions, cant really think past Berlin to be honest for what you want.

Thank you. Berlin is an option we're considering, along with Dubrovnik.

Always wanted to go there too but none of my friends could afford to go :(
    Berlin is my favourite city in Europe anyway, something special about it, especially if you love history like me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

I love Munich and Barcelona, both have lots of history, culture and a lively nightlife. Great spots for city breaks.

lc180 wrote: »
    I love Munich and Barcelona, both have lots of history, culture and a lively nightlife. Great spots for city breaks.

Both great suggestions. I've been to Barcelona before, although it was years ago on a family holiday so it would have been a very different vibe, and I loved it. We have a lot of thinking to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Recession traveller

Dubrovnik is a great city break destination. Loads of exploring of the old town and surroundings during the day and a great nightlife if you know where to look!

It's also still pretty cheap. I'd visit now before it gets too popular!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Munich is great, lots to see and do, nice beer and you can do a day trip to Neuschwanstein.

neuschwanstein_castle_4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Pisa was by far my favourite city break, just enough to see and do and a great night life atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Budapest
    Copenhagen
    Barcelona / madrid / seville
    Lisbon
    Florence

Theres hundreds of possibilities really. Any other criteria to narrow it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Another vote for Berlin here. Superb city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Berlin here too, or depending on your flight times you could take the two hours to go down to Dresden which is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

100% Berlin. Great value too - some of the hotels in the West are perfect for bout €60/night, 24 hour public transport, most of the tourist attractions are free/cheap and the nightlife has everything you'd want.

Feck sake Im looking up flight to Berlin again now :o If only you could still fly there from Cork Airport, which I can see right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Pisa was by far my favourite city break, just enough to see and do and a great night life atmosphere.
    Sorry but I found this funny.

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Sorry but I found this funny.

Why would you find it funny? It's a beautiful place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

brilliant night life as well as interesting historical tourist attractions - Amsterdam. We were really impressed with the city and the Dutch are such lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Why would you find it funny? It's a beautiful place

hehehe... your just having a laugh I bet!

for me its Baecelona or Berlin, both very different but always plenty to do and see.

corkonion wrote: »
    hehehe... your just having a laugh I bet!

I'm not, I've been to Paris, Rome (2x) and Pisa, and while I adored Rome, I really loved Pisa, why is that so funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Another for Berlin! We loved it there, we went in February and it was snowing, would love to go back during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

I'm not, I've been to Paris, Rome (2x) and Pisa, and while I adored Rome, I really loved Pisa, why is that so funny?
    You're a funny guy !

• Advertisement

Firstly, I am female and secondly why do you think it's so hilarious, I really am fascinated by it, I was only giving a suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I thought Warsaw was great, id recommend it . And iv been to the Milan, Paris and Barca in the past two years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gdansk is nice for a weekend too. Some great value in central hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Some more city breaks ideas:
    I loved Amsterdam! I also loved Belgium: Bruges, Antwerp or Brussels.
    Santiago de Compostella in Spain is very cool. As are, of course, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville.....
    LOTS to do in Rome, Paris or London.
    Derry is a great city.
    Carcassone in France is really lovely.
    Dubrovnik is absolutely fabulous.
    Sooooo much choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Of the cities I've been to

The ones I enjoyed:

Amsterdam: Such a chilled out city and the people are lovely
    Barcelona: The one I've been to the most along with Madrid. A really active city with so much to do
    Madrid: Often overlooked for Barca but just as good in my opinion. It takes a bit more research to get the same level of fun here but it is well worth it
    Krakow: Don't need to tell you about this, you've been there
    Budapest: This place is just amazing, especially in the summer. You have and island park on the river in the city and the thermal baths which are unbelievable
    Dubrovnik: Probably the cheapest sun resort I've ever been to. Great value, great history and fantastic night life

and not so much:
    Paris: I feel like this city has been done so much that it almost takes tourists for granted. Good to go once and get the sights in but that's about it
    Prague: I visited here when I inter-railed eastern Europe (Prage>Krakow>Budapest>Bratislava>Zagreb>Plitvice>Dubrovnik) and Prague was the lowest ranking of all those for me. It's not bad, it's just seemed the most modernized of the lot and as a result it seemed to have lost some of the charm that eastern European cities are famous for. In a sense, it was almost too commercialized

irish_goat wrote: »
    Munich is great, lots to see and do, nice beer and you can do a day trip to Neuschwanstein.

neuschwanstein_castle_4.jpg

That castle looks incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

krakow
    budapest
    basel
    bordeaux

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

sinead88 wrote: »
    That castle looks incredible!

The view's up there are amazing too. Takes about 2 hours on the train from Munich but it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Budapest, Budapest, Budapest!

It's easily my favourite city break in Europe, it has everything and it's dirt cheap.

Berlin is pretty deadly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It might not have the best nightlife in Europe but Vienna oozes history and character. It used to be the capital of the. Austro Hungarian empire and the place is over flowing with amazing buildings, plazas and museums. Also Bratislava is only 45 minutes down the road (or down the Danube on a boat) so if you wanted you could visit two European capitals pretty easy on one trip.

Apart from that +1 on Berlin. Amsterdam also has much of what you're looking for, plenty of crazy nightlife and amazing museums- Van Gogh, Rembrandt, etc. Barcelona also fits the bill and has the added bonus of good beaches on its doorstep. Plenty of Gaudi architecture around the city for you to do the cultural bit and then at night they have tons and tons of unique and funky cafe bars for food and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's funny how Madrid always gets overlooked in these discussions! Nicer and more fun than Barcelona imo, although it doesn't have the sea so that could count against it.

It's pretty cheap and easy to get to from Dublin. It's a city that would have something for a younger party-going crowd as well as an older museum-visiting crowd, and everything in between.

Perfect for a city break, if you came for a long weekend you could do a daytrip to Toledo which is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Another vote for Dubrovnik - absolutely stunning and very good value. Tourism is going to boom there massively in the next couple of years, would recommend seeing it before it does :)

Madrid, Stockholm, Tallinn and Berlin all come highly recommended too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bo91

Verona is nice lived there for nearly a year . Barcelona is beautiful , even though it has a lot of thief's ,got to be phoenix in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Dubrovnic - going there again this year(leaving from Edinburgh).

Last year we visited all the islands and toured 'til we dropped - this year were going to take it a little easier:) Can't recommend it highly enough - it is kind of touristy but not overly so imo(you won't find yourself harangued by trinket sellers or be bothered by drunken neds while there either)!

Just to update, i booked a trip to Berlin for April, found Ryanair now fly from shannon :D
    Got the Hotel Plaza Berlin which is a 5* next to the Zoologisher Garten for €275 for 4nights :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Another +1 for Vienna. Absolutely loved it there and would definitely go back again. There was so much to see and do. Beautiful city.

Another city I had a fabulous weekend away to was Bruges. Amazing city, with once again a lot to see and do.

sinead88 wrote: »
    Thank you. Berlin is an option we're considering, along with Dubrovnik.

Went to Berlin with my wife and teenage son at New Year. Loved it, absolutely fantastic place.

Advertisement