Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a rant!

Options
  • 26-06-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I would love some advice/ perspective, and also to have a bit of a rant so apologies in advance!

I did some admin/project management work a few months back, on a part-time, (10-15 hours a week) freelance basis. while the work was basic admin, the person i was working for was very disorganized and not a good communicator.

Long story short, the project went to pieces and was a bit of a disaster.

I have worked for years in the arts, festivals and events. When I initially took the job on, I expressed some doubts about the size and scale of the project, but the person employing me assured me that they were confident that they had the backing of various other parties (don't want to go into too much detail obviously)

I was cautious about the project, so I got a list of what was expected of me and my duties in writing. I was working for about 4 months, in this time I only met the person employing me in person twice, and they were almost impossible to get by phone or email. a week or two before the end of the project, when it had all fallen apart basically, they went completely awol. Afterwards they admitted that they had lost the plot, been stressed out and had gone drinking all weekend, avoiding my calls and emails.

I felt bad for this person initially, at the end of the project and of my term of employment, as I knew they had lost money. But a lot of the fears I had expressed at the beginning of the project turned out to be true, and I felt that i had done a lot more than my job description entailed.I sorted a lot of things out while I was unable to get in touch with them, that weren't really my responsibility. I also found out that this person had tried to run a similar event to this one, that had failed, for similar reasons (lack of interest etc). So I felt that it had been silly of them to do the same thing and expect a different outcome, and to ignore any advice.

Since then, I have found out that he has been slagging me off and blaming me for the failure of the project, saying I have lost him money etc, that I was lazy and didn;t do my job. I know this because colleagues in the industry have told me, I have a good work reputation and I feel really angered by this, obviously. I would like to confront them, but feel that it is maybe a waste of energy, as this person is very deluded and has a major ego. The people who have told me about what he has been saying about me know me, and my work, and one person in particular called him on this when he was slagging me off, saying that they knew me and that it didn't sound like me to let a project fall apart. So it is not that I am worried for my professional reputation, luckily I have a good reputation and he does not, so in that regard it is fine. he has fallen out with lots of people he has worked with, and I haven't so it just looks bad for him

But i am still really annoyed, and feel like I would like to email him and call him out on this. Or maybe I should just GET OVER IT! what do you think ? this has never happened to me before and it is really getting to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

An E-mail to him would be the least I did. Personally if someone was damaging my professional reputation it would be a trip to the circuit court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

I think I'd have to let him know that I'd heard less than flattering, un-substantiated comments etc, and that I wasn't happy.

I'd ask for a meeting to clear the air, make a few points and get him to acknowledge some of the issues you mentioned.

I'd do this in the form of minutes. I'd then email the minutes to him.

somewhere in the meeting, I'd politely make it clear that I value my professional reputation and am that I'm happy to protect it from unfair, un-substantiated and potentially slanderous comments....and smile while saying it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Too bad really. You should have known better than to get involved in a project like that. You could have walked when you saw trouble.
    I used to work in a company (won't name names) but basically I was so concerned about the way it was run and the company's habits of playing the blame game that I left asap. Last thing I wanted was to get fired for a high profile failure outside my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

thanks I think I will email him, and yes, it is a lesson learned. I should have never said yes to working for him, as I had a bad feeling about it and had heard bad things about working with him before. never again!

Advertisement